Newcastle United 5-1 Aston Villa - 12/08/23

Disco

I think it's a rule, it's the same for Match of the Day they're allowed to show a maximum number of minutes per game. Seem to remember it coming to light when Man Utd beat Arsenal 8-3 and they had like 9 minutes to play with or something.

11 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Clocked @Disco on the match cam politely asking the ref to send Martinez off after that foul on Miggy.

:lol: didn’t realise I was in frame for that when I watched earlier. Was actually Martinez my ire was aimed at. “Cheating fucking bastard” IIRC. 

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

96 away shirt aye? Kept an eye out after your comment re Mings yesterday cos I'm an utter deviant.

Aye it’s definitely me. I’ve just watched it back. 

I’ve never been able to dig it out but when I was in 6th form during the Villa 3-0 win where Shearer scored that volley I was the HT filler shot on ITVs ill fated ‘The Premiership’ with just me and old lad I sat next too having a chat as we I used to sit directly opposite the main halfway camera position.

18 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Regarding Emery's style not being suited to league football, I don't really get it?

Tactically sound managers will probably go further in cup competitions (which Emery is), but yesterday just seemed like they got their press triggers completely wrong. That would be the case regardless of whether you're playing in the PL or in a cup final [emoji38]

Different styles suit different competitions but it seems like a bit of a reach to just group 'league' and 'cup' into two seperate categories and declare they can go far in one but not the other due to how they press. They'll be limoted in both unless they get the right plauers for the system.

I haven't watched football in years so what I'm about to say might be outdated pov.

I think not suited is probably not the best way to describe it, I would say he has certain limitations which prevent his teams from reaching a certain ceiling.

Which is fine, not everyone can coach teams to play amazing football and get results and I'm sure no fan of a team he coached is complaining about the trophies he won over the years.

20 hours ago, FloydianMag said:

Well worth a look.

Don’t get the suited to cup games not league games thing. Both are just a sequence of one-off matches, so a style of play suitable for winning football matches is suitable for winning any one-off match?

9 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Totally Football Show reckons it might be in our best interest to not finish 3rd in our CL group so we avoid the Europa League :anguish:

Profound, thought provoking, and important. 

Far too thinky for plebs like us

Really liked Gordon/Joelinton rotation for this. It's not quite as fluid as Joe & Jo but still worked really nicely, especially as Gordon looks so sharp taking a touch inside and driving towards the box. Joelinton almost played like an inside forward at times but would still make some great overlapping runs. You can see why Howe wants such flexible players for in-game stuff like that.