Lewis Hall

Paully

1 hour ago, Gawalls said:

To quote someone’s username- “unbelievable”

Um ... not really.

You just have to read things properly to fully understand.

24 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Yeah ... but Kelly's fitness is far behind still.

Thought that would be obvious from what I said in my post this morning.

All being equal I think Kelly would have claimed the spot personally. Don't think Hall is the defender he is yet, and Howe is likely to prioritise that.

Kelly’s fitness record is not great and he hasn’t even played a single game for us yet, so I don’t think it’s as clear cut as you made out that Hall will be deputising for Kelly at all. It certainly wouldn’t be fair; Howe has always made sure new players have to earn their place and displace existing first XI players. Also a player doing well, which Hall was backend of last season, normally keeps his place.

i just found it funny though that you flip flopped from very surprised if Hall starts to almost certain Hall starts from one week to the next based on hardly anything at all. Kelly’s situation hasn’t changed, and neither has Hall’s.

2 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Kelly’s fitness record is not great and he hasn’t even played a single game for us yet, so I don’t think it’s as clear cut as you made out that Hall will be deputising for Kelly at all. It certainly wouldn’t be fair; Howe has always made sure new players have to earn their place and displace existing first XI players. Also a player doing well, which Hall was backend of last season, normally keeps his place.

i just found it funny though that you flip flopped from very surprised if Hall starts to almost certain Hall starts from one week to the next based on hardly anything at all. Kelly’s situation hasn’t changed, and neither has Hall’s.

There is no flip flopping. My opinion hasn't changed though. I don't know why this is so difficult to understand.

Kelly is not going to start the season if he is yet to even start getting any matches under his belt. We are just over two weeks away. 

Our issue last season tended to be at the defensive end. And so my expectation had Kelly come in and been involved fully from the outset, was that he would have gotten the spot, because he is the better defender. And so yes, I would have been surprised if Hall got in ahead of him.

Kelly appears to be a fair bit behind fitness wise, if he isn't even in the match day squad to come in for some minutes. And so it's fairly obvious Hall has a clear advantage right now.

I don't know why this is so hard to grasp.

42 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Don't think Lewis has ever made it through a pre season fully fit since Howe joined.

Will be interesting to see if he can just manage that alone first. 

If he can do that then who knows what will happen. We're pretty low on numbers at the minute and so he may end up being kept around.

I was pleasantly surprised/thought he played well yesterday, without doing anything particularly remarkable. 

4 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

I was pleasantly surprised/thought he played well yesterday, without doing anything particularly remarkable. 

Thought his cross for Isak's header was pretty good and he did really well as part of a team move that saw Isak have a blocked shot early in the second half.

Highly doubt he will do anything at Newcastle but if he continues hopefully someone took notice and it might mean we can actually get him a move this summer. 

48 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

I can see why, you’re not wrong mate. 

50 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I can see why, you’re not wrong mate. 

You've definitely been on the wind up all summer.

Don't worry. We'll speak again once the season kicks off!

Edited by KaKa

On the wind up… :lol: Have to admire you at times. Self awareness is impressive. 

I agreed with Unbelievable’s points. If that makes we wum then so be it. Im ok with that. 

Many were very quick to dismiss Hall as cannon fodder last season on account of Eddie not playing him, and are now reversing course as his quality has become clear. (It was clear the last 8 games of last season mind.)

It was no coincidence there were rumblings of Dortmund being interested a few months ago, especially with their eye for talent. Lad is a baller and it's turned out to be quality transfer business.

I wasn't expecting him to go into this season as a starter either, in fairness. Kelly seemed like too good of a match for Eddie's preferences. But it's definitely looking like he will be now. Which is great.

Boosts the idea we can get away without buying a centre back, in fact.

so midfiled options slowly increasing with tonali back soon, hall devloping and hopefully willock getting back to full fitness.

think we need another top quality CM but PSR means we can only concentrate on a couple of more important positions.

4 hours ago, Upthemags said:

Many were very quick to dismiss Hall as cannon fodder last season on account of Eddie not playing him, and are now reversing course as his quality has become clear. (It was clear the last 8 games of last season mind.)

It was no coincidence there were rumblings of Dortmund being interested a few months ago, especially with their eye for talent. Lad is a baller and it's turned out to be quality transfer business.

The doubt about him was a bit silly TBH. Of course I wanted him to play more but you have to trust his quality and the management team's expertise. He's going to be brilliant for us this season. 

4 hours ago, Upthemags said:

Less of the "baller" please.  Do you not read this site that often?

15 hours ago, Rod said:

Less of the "baller" please.  Do you not read this site that often?

🎵 Hall wishes he was a little bit taller, but he knows he’s a … 🎵 ok, I, for one, will comply with the word of The @Rod

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

19 hours ago, 80 said:

I wasn't expecting him to go into this season as a starter either, in fairness. Kelly seemed like too good of a match for Eddie's preferences. But it's definitely looking like he will be now. Which is great.

Boosts the idea we can get away without buying a centre back, in fact.

With the injuries we still need a CB. 

I was bored so I've written Newcastle United Fan Lewis Hall a poem to commemorate a good preseason performance:

Baller

Oh Lewis Hall, Lewis Hall,

I love your perfectly weighted balls.

If only you were tall!

Lewis Hall.

6 minutes ago, Checko said:

I was bored so I've written Newcastle United Fan Lewis Hall a poem to commemorate a good preseason performance:

Baller

Oh Lewis Hall, Lewis Hall,

I love your perfectly weighted balls.

If only you were tall!

Lewis Hall.

[emoji38]

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

And some people said he shouldn’t be starting the season for us 😂

As if the end of last season wasn’t properly convincing already :lol: 

Excited by this lad like, his development looks amazing. I love a good LB, gives so much balance and so long as his defensive nous continues to improve, that alongside his passing range gives him great versatility. 28m could be a relative bargain. I remember summer of 92 when we signed Beresford from Pompey, he transformed that side of our team.

On 28/07/2024 at 22:01, Upthemags said:

I’m one of them - was scratching my head why during an injury crisis Howe wasn’t giving him minutes.  Assumed that there was an issue with the lad’s game - clearly I was wrong!