Lewis Hall

Paully

We now know that Howe takes his time to bed all players in and to be fair, it is clearly the right approach. 

Chucking Hall into an injury ravaged team who were under the cosh last season might have gone the other way.  Not ready, not fit enough, has a couple of stinkers and then he is under massive pressure.

24 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Tbf Hall only got game time due to injuries. Once Lascelles and Livra went done - there were no other options. It’s not like Howe brought him back into the team because he thought Hall was ready. 

But alls well that ends well. 

Think it's safe to assume it was happening at some point. 

Do yous just think we were signing an 18 year old for 30 million just for howe to put him on the scrap heap to never give him a chance like?

Remember every signing is a Howe signing especially the English ones as well.....

3 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Yeah, I'm not convinced it was happening at some point if injuries weren't forcing his hand either. 

Yeah exactly ,even when we were losing every week and Burn was getting torn to shreds on the left every week Hall was still nowhere near the starting 11.

10 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’m one of them - was scratching my head why during an injury crisis Howe wasn’t giving him minutes.  Assumed that there was an issue with the lad’s game - clearly I was wrong!

I was more the opposite - I didn't know what was going on but felt more likely to be pissed off with Howe not making use of him when we were at an extremely low ebb.

As TCD says though, all's well that ends well. Sounds like the story is he was struggling to adapt, in addition to living independently for the first time, so Howe didn't want to integrate him before that was resolved. I can see justification in that.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Why is it safe to assume?

Well we signed a highly rated young player in a position we needed a good player in. And we have a top tier manager. So I would assume that the plan was to use Lewis Hall to play football for us, the question was would it happen as quickly as the fans wanted or not. 

Not many short-term plans would have survived the chaos of last season, everything was all over the shop because of impossible fixtures and unprecedented injuries. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Why is it safe to assume?

Because you could tell he was physically much stronger in those final few games when watching him up close.

32 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Well we signed a highly rated young player in a position we needed a good player in. And we have a top tier manager. So I would assume that the plan was to use Lewis Hall to play football for us, the question was would it happen as quickly as the fans wanted or not. 

Not many short-term plans would have survived the chaos of last season, everything was all over the shop because of impossible fixtures and unprecedented injuries. 

Ok. If at some point = at some point during Hall's contract - I fully agree.

I think it was clear at a certain point that only severe injuries would give Hall further opportunities to integrate into the playing team last season. If Targett and Livra were fit, Hall would barely have had a kick in the last 6 months of the season. I'm making that assumption because he wasn't getting a kick until Livra went down, Targett was out, Botman was out etc. When players came back, Miley got time off the bench, that's a manager slowly bringing a player through because the manager thinks he's almost ready / can contribute. Hall wasn't getting a sniff. He wasn't being slowly reintroduced into the team, he was bench fodder until the injuries meant he was next up.

The injuries did come and Hall took his opportunity. I think it's changed Howe's perception of the lads readiness. 

I don’t know if your logic follows since all we have is hypotheticals. Maybe mine doesn’t either. We don’t even know whether introducing him earlier or later would’ve been better so it’s very unclear why we’re even debating this :lol:

Feels like people just wanted a reason to have a go at the Hall signing because he didn’t play immediately, and they’ve now been proved completely wrong because it turns out he’s mint. I’m happy because I always thought it was a great signing. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Because you could tell he was physically much stronger in those final few games when watching him up close.

Looked more sound from a positional point of view too.

Edited by The Prophet

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Tbf Hall only got game time due to injuries. Once Lascelles and Livra went done - there were no other options. It’s not like Howe brought him back into the team because he thought Hall was ready. 

But alls well that ends well. 

he did though Hall said he wasnt ready in an interview

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don’t know if your logic follows since all we have is hypotheticals. Maybe mine doesn’t either. We don’t even know whether introducing him earlier or later would’ve been better so it’s very unclear why we’re even debating this :lol:

Feels like people just wanted a reason to have a go at the Hall signing because he didn’t play immediately, and they’ve now been proved completely wrong because it turns out he’s mint. I’m happy because I always thought it was a great signing. 

It's the way Howe operates. Don't understand why we have to make excuses on his behalf. He didn't play Livramento either unless he absolutely had to. Same with Miley and Anderson.  

11 minutes ago, Conjo said:

It's the way Howe operates. Don't understand why we have to make excuses on his behalf. He didn't play Livramento either unless he absolutely had to. Same with Miley and Anderson.  

What is the way Howe operates? 

Can we just all draw the line in the sand and say we're excited he's signed permanently and hopefully his development continues? Is it really worth anyone's time to continue to harp on when Eddie should or shouldn't have brought him into the team? 

23 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Don't think you're asking this question in good faith. We all know what he means - Howe plays his staples and takes a linger time than most others to integrate new talent. That's to say nothing of the merits of such an approach, either. Just the way he does it.

4 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

Don't think you're asking this question in good faith. We all know what he means - Howe plays his staples and takes a linger time than most others to integrate new talent. That's to say nothing of the merits of such an approach, either. Just the way he does it.

I am, it seems like most people who bring up the Hall issue are implying that it was a mistake not to play him earlier. 

Anyway, like Kanji says, doesn't matter now, it's just good that he's class.

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I am, it seems like most people who bring up the Hall issue are implying that it was a mistake not to play him earlier. 

Anyway, like Kanji says, doesn't matter now, it's just good that he's class.

And what if I think it was a mistake not to play him earlier? Are we not allowed to highlight areas where we think Howe could perhaps have done better?

2 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

And what if I think it was a mistake not to play him earlier? Are we not allowed to highlight areas where we think Howe could perhaps have done better?

Of course we are, doesn't matter, sorry I got involved. 

8 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

He prefers to use experienced players, and keeping a settled starting 11. It seems he values a settled 11 with fatigued players over playing a fresh players, or opting for a different kind of player in a position where the player in the settled 11 is hard countered by the opposition. Only notable changes I can think of to the teams he has fielded has come through suspensions and injuries.

Would be very happy if he proves me wrong this season, but that is what he has shown me so far since joining. 

1 hour ago, Conjo said:

He prefers to use experienced players, and keeping a settled starting 11. It seems he values a settled 11 with fatigued players over playing a fresh players, or opting for a different kind of player in a position where the player in the settled 11 is hard countered by the opposition. Only notable changes I can think of to the teams he has fielded has come through suspensions and injuries.

Would be very happy if he proves me wrong this season, but that is what he has shown me so far since joining. 

Is that based on rotation of Isak and Wilson last season, Barnes getting injured when he was rotatednin for Gordon, then losing Tonali and Willock in short order.

It's based on last season, the season before that and the season before that again. Two examples that has occurred once each hardly breaks with his general reluctance to rotate unless absolutely needed.