Lewis Hall

Paully

He was definitely poor defensively today but I thought Burn gave him unusually poor cover too. Also had a weird defensive shape in general with Tino inverting a lot.

He was a weakness today. Not particularly good in defence but wasn’t effective with the ball either. If he’s not a great defender he has to justify his place by playing dangerous passes but that didn’t happen today. Some of that is our players not making the kind of movement that gives him passing options. In matches like that I think I’d prefer to see him moving into midfield instead of Livramento.Β 
Think EH was worried about Burns chronic lack of pace.Β 

Don’t think it was a good or bad performance really. His man got in behind him a couple of times but I don’t think it was down to poor positioning on his part. He did get beaten off one ball he definitely shouldn’t have but he got a couple of good blocks in. Looking forward to seeing him play a key role for us in attacking soonΒ 

Work to be done to make him effective enough to negate his defensive issues, because hes not a natural defender at all. Looks his best when we are on the front foot, I wonder if there is a view to him playing that sort of TAA role for us in future. He seems to fit that profileΒ 

Edited by Nine

I would like to see him and Trippier in the same team sometimes, btw. Today most of our build up came through Hall but if we had Trips too we could mix it up a bit more.

Β 

For reference, passes:

Β 

Hall 77/82

Burn 69/71

Schar 40/47

Tino 16/18

Bruno 32/37

Longstaff 19/21

Joelinton 24/28

Β 

We put a lot of responsibility on him with the ball.Β 

7 minutes ago, Smal said:

I would like to see him and Trippier in the same team sometimes, btw. Today most of our build up came through Hall but if we had Trips too we could mix it up a bit more.

Β 

For reference, passes:

Β 

Hall 77/82

Burn 69/71

Schar 40/47

Tino 16/18

Bruno 32/37

Longstaff 19/21

Joelinton 24/28

Β 

We put a lot of responsibility on him with the ball.Β 

Β 

That's down to us only being able to attack down the left.

Β 

All the left sided players had the most passes.

Do worry about his defensive ability, of course he's young and will still improve, but those who are very good defensively tend to show more ability for it at a young age, e.g it was one of Tino's strong points when he was at Southampton etcΒ 

20 minutes ago, janpawel said:

Do worry about his defensive ability, of course he's young and will still improve, but those who are very good defensively tend to show more ability for it at a young age, e.g it was one of Tino's strong points when he was at Southampton etcΒ 

Β 

Didn't I read somewhere that he saw himself as a left midfielder when we signed him? I wonder if that's why Howe was reluctant to pitch him in last season, because he himself wasn't in the right mindframe for a defender?

Β 

Β 

I reckon he can play one position effectively in the PL for a team of Newcastle's aspiration and that'd be LWB in a back 5, currently that is. It's not to say he will be limited to that.

Edited by Heron

Definitely has a stamina issue still. Can see him and Kelly rotating a lot this season though i expected Hall to started the home games not the aways.

Edited by LFEE