Lewis Hall

Paully

12 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

If he signs if we finish top 15, then the decisions not to play him despite at times not having a fit first team XI available become even more marked.  Watching our midfield being bypassed with young Miley in it week after week, or BDB having a horrendous spell of form at LB, and Hall not getting a single minute looks like either poor management or that the lad isn’t close to being good enough at this point, in which case he’s a complete waste of the £30m we’re about to spend on him.  He might become the world’s best LB in five years, but for now this looks like bad business. 

I think the notion that he isn't worth the trouble is belied by the evidence -- he filled in, as a 19 year old, just fine at the Champions League level against one of the most nettlesome and paciest wingers in the world. I think Howe favors the squad regulars to a fault, and that's impacted Hall's ability to get minutes. Just look at Tino, he lit the world on fire and has struggled at times to see the pitch when all evidence suggested he ought be out there.

41 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Looking forward to seeing a back line of Livramento - next Lucio - Botman - Hall lift the CL trophy in 5 years time.

I’d bet my house on not one of them being here in five years’ time. 

Just now, The Prophet said:

How come?

I think they’ll be recycled out before then - happy to be wrong, like.  If we’re going to get to where we want to go, I don’t think we’ll see many of the players here at the moment with us at that point.  We’re signing young so that they have high resale value.

It’s not something which would worry me at all - I’m attached to the club, not the players.  I’ve a lot more faith in this set up than at any time under Ashley.  But I’d be very surprised to see many from the current XI being around for a long time.  The NUFC which is winning big trophies (fingers crossed) will likely have players in it which we haven’t even heard of yet. 

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I think they’ll be recycled out before then - happy to be wrong, like.  If we’re going to get to where we want to go, I don’t think we’ll see many of the players here at the moment with us at that point.  We’re signing young so that they have high resale value.

It’s not something which would worry me at all - I’m attached to the club, not the players.  I’ve a lot more faith in this set up than at any time under Ashley.  But I’d be very surprised to see many from the current XI being around for a long time.  The NUFC which is winning big trophies (fingers crossed) will likely have players in it which we haven’t even heard of yet. 

Fair enough.

I agree all player will be bought with a view to selling at the right time, the club executives have spoken about it enough.

That said I always think we'll try to keep our best players where possible. In five years time it'll be interesting to see where we are and how the landscape looks in terms of how badly we still need to sell to grow.

9 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Fair enough.

I agree all player will be bought with a view to selling at the right time, the club executives have spoken about it enough.

That said I always think we'll try to keep our best players where possible. In five years time it'll be interesting to see where we are and how the landscape looks in terms of how badly we still need to sell to grow.

Yeah, definitely.  I don’t think they’ve bought the club to be a ‘selling club’ - I just think it’s very likely to be the case as the club builds.  

Under current FFP you gotta sell the players that you have bought a few years ago so you can buy better prospects and repeat the process 

which also means if Hall failed to get any minutes in next season, we will have a very difficult time to recoup any fees which would be a hard hit to our transfer capacity under FFP

1 hour ago, Zero said:

Under current FFP you gotta sell the players that you have bought a few years ago so you can buy better prospects and repeat the process 

which also means if Hall failed to get any minutes in next season, we will have a very difficult time to recoup any fees which would be a hard hit to our transfer capacity under FFP

Equally though.. if you're revenues are up you don't have to sell a lot of players. Maybe just the right few. Extending contracts spreads amortisation costs.

You want to do what Liverpool have done with Mane. Get them 21-24, keep them until 30ish, get their best years. Have most of their fee amortised away and then sell at a decent price.

We've ended up in that position with Joelinton. He only has about £7m left on his book value. If he gets a 4 year contract, he'll cost £1.75m + wages going forward. About £7m per year. That's not bad.

Equally if we sold him for £35m. That's a book profit of £28m. It would facilitate a couple of signings you would guess. His replacement and someone else.

18 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

Targett back now so Hall can't even get on the bench. Worrying

Not sure if you don't understand the loan rules or this is just some shite patter

8 minutes ago, simonsays said:

Not sure if you don't understand the loan rules or this is just some shite patter

nowt wrong with some shite patter to lighten the mood

4 minutes ago, Terrymac1966 said:

Are we really stuck with this fella and have to waste 28mill. Another Dan Ashworth misjudgement imo

Thoughts?

We can’t* just decide that because a player hasn’t worked out (so far), that it was exclusively Ashworth’s pick/fault.

We signed Tino at the same time, and he’s been a success, so do we put that down to an Ashworth masterclass?

*we can and will do that because we’re tribal football fans, but you know what I mean.

3 minutes ago, SteV said:

We can’t* just decide that because a player hasn’t worked out (so far), that it was exclusively Ashworth’s pick/fault.

We signed Tino at the same time, and he’s been a success, so do we put that down to an Ashworth masterclass?

*we can and will do that because we’re tribal football fans, but you know what I mean.

Ashworth is leaving, so naturally anything that hasn't played out exactly as hoped is now 100% his fault.