Lewis Hall

Paully

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Nah, not the case at all.  Even Tino isn’t that young in relative terms.  Here’s a list when some of England’s full back options made their international debuts:

TAA - 19

James - 18

Walker - 21

Rico Lewis - 19

White - 23

Chilwell - 21

Shaw - 18

Not one of them was an eyebrow-raising debutant at that level.  

Trippier developed later, certainly.  

fair enough but I didn’t say there are none of them. I said it’s a short list. You’ve provided a rather short list. If anything this proves my point? The list would be much bigger for most other positions. 

my point is that it’s a position where there are less starlets or wonderkids who play and perform at that age in the prem. 

edit: also I don’t see making a full England debut as the metric. I mean performing week in and week out at this level, rare for young fullbacks. Not just English fullbacks but globally. 

Edited by Sufi

Just now, Sufi said:

fair enough but I didn’t say there are none of them. I said it’s a short list. You’ve provided a rather short list. 

my point is that it’s a position where there are less starlets or wonderkids who play and perform at that age in the prem. 

I think that’s a pretty long list tbh - it’s basically all of England’s likely full back options - I even missed Joe Gomez, who made his debut at 20.  So of the long list of England’s potential full back choices, 7 of the 9 had made their England debut before Livramento’s current age, and three were playing at Hall’s current age.

It is the position I would say has had more young players who were starlets than any other - England has an abundance of quality young full backs. 

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

I think that’s a pretty long list tbh - it’s basically all of England’s likely full back options - I even missed Joe Gomez, who made his debut at 20.  So of the long list of England’s potential full back choices, 7 of the 9 had made their England debut before Livramento’s current age, and three were playing at Hall’s current age.

It is the position I would say has had more young players who were starlets than any other - England has an abundance of quality young full backs. 

Valid points again but I don’t think the measuring stick should be full England debut or even be limited to English players. 

Also shaw and chilwell are 27 and 28. Kyle Walker is 33. Half of those came nearly a decade ago. Even if we stick to this metric of “only English players and full English debut = good and performing regularly at the top level”… that’s still a short list and some of them decades apart. 

we can agree to disagree 

58 minutes ago, Myleftboot said:

Just don’t think he’s a left back.

This is an interesting one. Im not 100% sure but I do know that he’s played CM before and I’ve read posts from people on the Chelsea forums (doing some investigation when we signed him) saying he wants to play CM. 

Reminds me of the situation with Maitland-Niles being used as a RB by arsenal when he was probably better suited as a CM, however he wasn’t good enough at that position/proven position enough there to displace any of those ahead of him at the time. 

I can see his skill set translating very well as a midfielder but it’s hard to switch. The cement isn’t dry yet and it’s happened before but I think he’s a LB. 

Edited by Sufi

Wasn’t he always a midfielder until Lampard used him as a left back?

Edited by SAK

1 minute ago, SAK said:

At 19 Steve Howey was a Centre forward, Rob Lee was a winger, Andy Carroll was a left back and most of this board were virgins.

I feel fullbacks generally benefit from being young and energetic, and in more recent history also athletic. Before the generation @TheBrownBottle mentions, the two best English examples are probably Gary Neville & Ashley Cole whom were regulars in top sides and had their international debuts at 20 years of age. 

Other examples of players doing well, playing regularly for top teams from a young (18-20) age - Seamus Coleman, Leighton Baines, Gael Clichy, Patrice Evra, Jordi Alba, Kyle Walker-Peters, Jose Enrique, Dani Alves, Marcelo, John-Arne Riise...I'm sure there's tons of more examples.

Edited by Conjo

6 hours ago, madras said:

At 19 Steve Howey was a Centre forward, Rob Lee was a winger, Andy Carroll was a left back and most of this board were virgins.

Andy Carroll was a left back? [emoji38]

9 hours ago, SAK said:

Lampard that left 5 months before he signed for Chelsea? 

28 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Lampard that left 5 months before he signed for Chelsea? 

Hall was at Chelsea from being 8 years old

9 minutes ago, Smal said:

Hall was at Chelsea from being 8 years old

In the kiddie teams, didn't sign a proper contract til after Lampard left. Didn't go near the first team til almost a year after Lampard left

He had a hard job yesterday Iwobi and Adama are very difficult to handle.

He wasn't up to it in all honesty. Certainly can deliver good crosses though. 

12 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Nah, not the case at all.  Even Tino isn’t that young in relative terms.  Here’s a list when some of England’s full back options made their international debuts:

TAA - 19

James - 18

Walker - 21

Rico Lewis - 19

White - 23

Chilwell - 21

Shaw - 18

Not one of them was an eyebrow-raising debutant at that level.  

Trippier developed later, certainly.  

Think if Hall started season as LB, he’d have made his England debut by now considering there’s literally no LBs outside of Chilwell/Shaw :D 

Even with many of them, the defensive side was a major weakness at the young age, but it was the attacking play that got them the chance. Hall will be similar, he’s not going to know the defensive side of game till it’s developed from games and learning, but attacking side he’s technically great and in a strong side we’ll see more of that and maximise it rather than needing to be spent defending. 

This period of season where we’re likely going to need to defend a lot more is going to be huge for his development, and will give him areas he can focus on developing during pre season.

I feel like there's something wrong with our defensive structure where we regularly leave our full backs isolated 2 v 1 if the opposition attacks with both full backs, mind. Burn, Trippier, Hall and Livramento have all had tough games because of it. Doesn't happen in the left back area as much when Joelinton is in the team, and I'm sure Longstaff and Almiron were both better at getting back to help last season too.

Think he's more a wingback than a fullback, he doesn't mind the space behind him enough. Few more games though and it might click. He's lucky he has Burn in support of him, covering a role he's been playing for 18 months. Might even still be a mid, covering the back or the left of a 3. However Burn must play centrally for the rest of the season, and unless Targett gets fit then Hall has to play the position, and with it we're going to have to take the hits when he strays out of position or doesn't react to recover whilst he learns , with hope Burn has him covered. Felt like Fulham targeted the position yesterday, especially 1st half. 

1 hour ago, Smal said:

I feel like there's something wrong with our defensive structure where we regularly leave our full backs isolated 2 v 1 if the opposition attacks with both full backs, mind. Burn, Trippier, Hall and Livramento have all had tough games because of it. Doesn't happen in the left back area as much when Joelinton is in the team, and I'm sure Longstaff and Almiron were both better at getting back to help last season too.

I think it's at least partially because the defensive line isn't right due to Pope being out too. We aren't able to compress the play as much and we end up with defenders being isolated.

I think width has become a bigger element of the game in the PL in general again this season too, it seems like every team has a rapid right winger now, probably to exploit the fact that most of the LBs in the league are shite. 

2 hours ago, Andy said:

I think width has become a bigger element of the game in the PL in general again this season too, it seems like every team has a rapid right winger now, probably to exploit the fact that most of the LBs in the league are shite. 

And also more sides are having one of the full backs invert so there’s bundles of space outwide. 

Felt he was poor on Saturday. Made Iwobi look like a half competent player at times which is a worrying sign.

My biggest frustration with him, acknowledging he's clearly a talented kid, is that he stands off wingers massively. Gives them miles too much room. He allows them their first touch and body shape adjustment before he's anywhere near them.