Lewis Hall

Paully

Just now, Checko said:

I think it's obviously helpful to have a number of tall players in the team to defend set pieces. I'll be honest though, I don't quite get why it's essential that at least one of those tall players must be one of the fullbacks.

I guess Arteta and Pep think it’s easier playing an extra cb at full back rather than elsewhere in the team. 

Posted (edited)

See it’s stuff like that, the patronising snarky responses. Your presentation of those teams as giants and monsters doesn’t hold up to facts. I’ve no idea where any stats exist on starting 11s but it’s likely the average size of the squad is comparable to the average size of the team. If you can find stats that show that’s not the case then all good, but simply dismissing with sarcasm shows someone losing the debate. 

it’s also quite amusing you mocking me on what I’ve seen this season when you seemingly completely made up what formation and positions Liverpool have played the majority of the season. 

Edited by PRL

5 minutes ago, PRL said:

See it’s stuff like that, the patronising snarky responses. Your presentation of those teams as giants and monsters doesn’t hold up to facts. I’ve no idea where any stats exist on starting 11s but it’s likely the average size of the squad is comparable to the average size of the team. If you can find stats that show that’s not the case then all good, but simply dismissing with sarcasm shows someone losing the debate. 

Ok I apologise if you’ve taken that the wrong way:

Ben White- 6”1

Gabriel- 6”3

Saliba- 6”4

Tomiyasu- 6”2

Rice- 6”1

Partey- 6”1

Odegaard- 5”10

Saka- 5”10

Martinelli- 5”10

Haverz- 6”4

Thats Arsenal’s outfield 10 recently.

Posted (edited)

Arsenals starting 11 is usually the back 4 who are biggish lads but not huge. Saliba is the tallest at 6”4 and Ben White is an inch taller than Tino. 

Other than that they have generally had Rice and Havertz offering physical size. Partey recently has added to that. 

It’s not something we can’t match. Tino plus two centre backs, Joelinton and Isak leaves us only one “big” player lighter. Longstaff, Gordon and Bruno are all 6 foot whilst Hall’s aerial win percentage is very impressive. 

The reason Arsenal score so many from set pieces is their delivery and organisation. They use one of their “big” players to take half of their set pieces in Rice and they use another one to just be a pest on the keeper in White. So really they are only attacking set pieces with 4 “big” players. 

interesting to see what they do with Timber- he’ll likely slot in at left back ahead of Tomayasu or Kiwior and he’s only 5”10, same height as Hall. 

Edited by captainhaircut

4 minutes ago, Toon1892 said:

Ok I apologise if you’ve taken that the wrong way:

Ben White- 6”1

Gabriel- 6”3

Saliba- 6”4

Tomiyasu- 6”2

Rice- 6”1

Partey- 6”1

Odegaard- 5”10

Saka- 5”10

Martinelli- 5”10

Haverz- 6”4

Thats Arsenal’s outfield 10 recently.

by my count our side yesterday was 3 inches shorter overall. Drop Joelinton in for Wilson in a more usual side and it would about the same. 

2 minutes ago, captainhaircut said:

by my count our side yesterday was 3 inches shorter overall. Drop Joelinton in for Wilson in a more usual side and it would about the same. 

And if you bring in keepers, which are also pretty vital when we are talking about set pieces, we would also likely be level, and with Pope in there we would be clear. 

Partey has been out most the season too, and Arsenal have done okay without him. 

I don’t have energy to go round and round in circles, different opinions make the game and forums, just have to acknowledge they are just that - opinions. 

almost missed the KO in the boxing arguing about the height of Arsenal’s team, need to reassess my priorities. 

3 minutes ago, captainhaircut said:

Yes but our third best defensive aerial player- Tino, wasn’t good enough to mark Burnley’s third best attacking player. Hence they scored. It’s our depth of good players in the air that is currently missing. I agree though if we keep Joelinton fit it is probably less of an issue. And with him fit we did manage to bully them at home this season and may have even had a bigger side with burn at left back.

When Burn and Joelinton didn’t play at the Emirates I think they scored 2 or 3 set pieces against us.

6 hours ago, Toon1892 said:

Yes but the top managers allow conceding 5 or 6 counter attacking goals a season to prevent an extra 12 or 13 set piece goals a season.

Sorry but it isn’t rocket science why every top manager is doing it. I know people on this forum know more than Pep and Arteta and would do a better job but please just look at what is happening.

Man City were solid at set pieces even when they had smaller players.

Just a case of at the moment, the best players in certain positions are tall.

As long as you've got 4 players that can outright be a threat in the air, that's fine. Long term, Lewis will be more of a full back for Man City and Arsenal will have Timber. Both on short side.

15 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

Man City were solid at set pieces even when they had smaller players.

Just a case of at the moment, the best players in certain positions are tall.

As long as you've got 4 players that can outright be a threat in the air, that's fine. Long term, Lewis will be more of a full back for Man City and Arsenal will have Timber. Both on short side.

Disagree a little here. Man City have the money to buy players that are class in the air and on the floor. 

I don’t think ‘it just happens that they’re both’. They’ve scouted those players and signed them because they’re good at both.

6 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

He's not in the team because the experts have judged that he's ready. He's in the team because there are no other options. He looks ready now - despite the experts not thinking he's ready.

This is my issue with some people. They act like everything is part of a master plan. If not for injury crisis Hall would be sitting on the bench getting few minutes.,

Well, we’ll never know. But we do know that Paully D isn’t starting or Alex Murphy for that matter. 

7 hours ago, STM said:

Do Liverpool play with CBs at fullback? Do Villa?

Joe Gomez has 41 apps this season at LB/RB. Ezri Konsa has played as a RB a lot this season. 

2 minutes ago, Pata said:

Joe Gomez has 41 apps this season at LB/RB. Ezri Konsa has played as a RB a lot this season. 

A fair point but I'd suggest much of them were out of necessity, rather than choice.

Posted (edited)

Ooooo the Lewis Hall thread has four new pages, must be some good news about him...

john travolta bolo tie GIF

Nope, just some height nonce talk. :lol: 

Edited by cubaricho

Just now, STM said:

A fair point but I'd suggest much of them were out of necessity, rather than choice.

Some of it is that but neither have really played a lot there in the previous season. Konsa has played at RB often even when Cash has been fit. Similar with Gomez, Klopp has played him a lot even at LB ahead of the more traditional LB Tsimikas when Robertson was injured. 

3 minutes ago, Holloway said:

You'd think Hall has the stature of a Fraser or a Lamptey going off sone of the craic on here 

He’s still growing also.