Manchester City 1-0 Newcastle United (19/08/23)

Yorkie

2 hours ago, Bimpy474 said:

That's how i saw it, we didn't play well and yet i came away annoyed we lost. We've come so far in such a short period, it's not that we forget that, we just have more expectation that we haven't had for so long.

I think we are 4 players away from being really competitive (and I mean really competitive - to the very top)

CB - to add to Schar and Botman 

DM - to give us options tactically (A Rodri type)

10 - to give us the much needed creativity we need 

RWF - to create and finish chances 

Given the summer we have had - we have covered so many bases in our squad - just to add the final layers 

What I am trying to say is Rome wasn’t built in a day - from the owners 5 year plan - after almost 2 years - we are about a year ahead of schedule - it’s been awesome to see and we are so well placed to make the final strides we need 

5 minutes ago, Mikky said:

I think we are 4 players away from being really competitive (and I mean really competitive - to the very top)

Given the summer we have had - we have covered so many bases in our squad - just to add the final layers 

What I am trying to say is Rome wasn’t built in a day - from the owners 5 year plan - after almost 2 years - we are about a year ahead of schedule - it’s been awesome to see and we are so well placed to make the final strides we need 

Agree with you there, the 10 is a bit difficult as we don't really play that way right now, but evolution of the side will mean changing of systems in games where it suits, so that could definitely be something to go with.

4 minutes ago, Mikky said:

It’s all good. Smashing the “teeth grinders” lot next week will ease the pain. To loose by 1 goal to City is no bad thing. They’ll smash plenty of sides there this season. Our financial growth development will be huge over the next few years. Each year adding to that FFP limit! 
The boys will have a point to prove next Sunday! Onwards and upwards :indi:

4 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

Agree with you there, the 10 is a bit difficult as we don't really play that way right now, but evolution of the side will mean changing of systems in games where it suits, so that could definitely be something to go with.

The 4 positions are for me the most important 

Dias - Rodri - KDB - Bernardo/Foden 

you put them in our team - we challenge for the league 

The great thing about the 4 of them is that none were elite when they signed - all had potential to go to the next level - it shows that they are out there (the players)

We won’t achieve success (trophies/

leagues) with a flat 3 in midfield - you need a 6 and 10 alternative 

13 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

we won’t win trophies (against that big teams with a flat 3 in mid) you need a single or double pivot - the best teams will play through you - I’d play with a 6 and do what City do and move a CB up

Finding a creative player or freeing up Isak to play behind the lines is what we’re really lacking. There’s definitely a lack of creativity in the final third, we’ll get away with it sometimes, but against the top teams and in the Cup Final last year it was our downfall.

Edited by Whitley mag

2 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Finding a creative player or freeing up Isak to play behind the lines is what we’re really lacking. There’s definitely a lack of creativity in the final third, we’ll get away with it sometimes, but against the top teams and in the Cup Final last year it was our downfall.

We should try Anderson in the role

11 minutes ago, Mikky said:

The 4 positions are for me the most important 

Dias - Rodri - KDB - Bernardo/Foden 

you put them in our team - we challenge for the league 

The great thing about the 4 of them is that none were elite when they signed - all had potential to go to the next level - it shows that they are out there (the players)

Not sure what point you’re making here, but all those players bar Foden were multi capped internationals when they signed for City, for fees of Dias £65m, KDB £54m, Rodri £63m, and Bernardo £44m? They’ve probably been improved a little under Pep, but Man City were already buying great players with them. 

for non elite or expensive signings if you’d have said Alvarez for example, I’d have agreed wholeheartedly.

4 hours ago, Wandy said:

Have you missed the last 22 months? :lol: That's exactly what is happening at NUFC, but the taps have been closed to restrict the flow, that's all.

Man Utd have always been amongst the biggest spenders too though. The idea that their stature was grown completely organically is a myth. Yeah, Ferguson's early success was more organic but after that he was buying success just as much as any other successful club. Liverpool were bankrolled by the Moores family for 20 years.

ManU set up a powerful marketing dept in the mid '80s. They became a dominant force off the pitch long before their successes on the pitch. 

first visit to the Etihad and not sure what all the fuss is with the stadium.

more modern and shiny but i still think ours looks better from the outside.

and once we got in the away end it was no better than what we have in the gallowgate.

maybe you have to be in a home section to appreciate it.

20 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Not sure what point you’re making here, but all those players bar Foden were multi capped internationals when they signed for City, for fees of Dias £65m, KDB £54m, Rodri £63m, and Bernardo £44m? They’ve probably been improved a little under Pep, but Man City were already buying great players with them. 

for non elite or expensive signings if you’d have said Alvarez for example, I’d have agreed wholeheartedly.

I’m saying we don’t need to be buying the likes of Mbappe etc just scout the right players and move in quick - for me those are the 4 key we need to strengthen (next)

1 hour ago, Mikky said:

we won’t win trophies (against that big teams with a flat 3 in mid) you need a single or double pivot - the best teams will play through you - I’d play with a 6 and do what City do and move a CB up

Good post this. Absolutely right.

7 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Good post this. Absolutely right.

We don't seem to have any interest in buying a 6, not sure why as everyone else at the top in Europe has a dedicated defensive midfielder. In fact as it was mentioned above we don't have either a particularly defensive midfielder or attacking one.

25 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

We don't seem to have any interest in buying a 6, not sure why as everyone else at the top in Europe has a dedicated defensive midfielder. In fact as it was mentioned above we don't have either a particularly defensive midfielder or attacking one.

I am going to say in time we will - we’ve built the outer layers of the squad - now to buy your equalisers - it will be interesting to see how EH learns from these big match experiences - he’s shown a huge capacity to learn - yesterday was a good lesson for him

3 hours ago, Away Toon said:

Maybe because Chelsea and Liverpool have bought them all. Not sure either team got the balance right, but they definitely chucked all the money at them.

The market for proper defensive midfielders this summer has been outrageous. I don't blame us for holding off until things settle down. I wouldn't have wanted 50m on Lavia or double that on Caicedo. 

3 hours ago, Erikse said:

Pep stealing Tindalls spotlight, and he's not having it[emoji38]

Tbf I thought it was canny brash of Pep like. Literally stormed through the middle of the lads and stole all of JT's limelight.

Absolute fucking disgrace.