Brighton & Hove Albion vs. Newcastle United: 02/09/23 @ 17:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

Tough game, but a winnable one. Without Caicedo and Mac Allister, they're a weaker side than the one we demolished at SJP, but they still have plenty of fret.

I hate going to the Amex, we've had some honking results down the years. A point would be fine, a win would be very good. 

Edited by The Prophet

Don't think there's any actual evidence that the subs are 'pre-planned' no matter what. I find that a bit of a weird accusation given everything Howe does is based on very sound reason and logic, not cos it's what he wrote in his notepad the night before. Barnes and Wilson coming on when they did the other day was in response to the actions on the pitch at the time, he says as much in his quotes. 

Anyway, I'll take a point and a decent performance all day here. A win and we're all feeling a lot better but tbh I don't think we will; not cos we've lost the plot, just cos Brighton are a good side and need a response themselves. 

14 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Tough game, but a winnable one. Without Caicedo and Mac Allister, they're a weaker side than the one we demolished at SJP, but they still have plenty of fret.

I hate going to the Amex, we've had some honking results down the years. A point would be fine, a win would be very good. 

In fairness Mac Allister didn’t play start against us at St James and Caicedo played RB so can’t read much into that.

Only watched the 2nd half of their game against WHam but Brighton were atrocious defensively. Like, joke stuff. If that’s the limit of their CBs ability we’ll have them. If it was a bad day at the office and they can coached out of that it’ll be a very different proposition.

We certainly have the quality to take the points. Will depend on how well the players respond I guess.

I know they’re a well drilled team but looking at their starting XI there’s only one or two (Estupinan and Mitoma) i would have in our team. We should really dominate the midfield and hopefully score the goals needed for a good win.

Brighton are a well known side these days, they'll try to lure us up the pitch and play through or over the press. Villa absolutely battered us with this at their place.

There's two ways to counter it. Don't engage, low-block and break is a method Everton and West Ham have deployed really well.

We won't do that though. The other way is to do what we did to them at SJP with a really controlled, intense press.

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

CM - Bruno

CM - Tonali

LW - Joelinton

RW - Gordon

AM - Isak

CF - Wilson

Possibly? The option of moving Joelinton to a midfield 3 and Isak left if need be. 

It’s one of those that looks great on paper and would fall flat in reality imo. I’m not sure Tonali and Bruno would have the discipline the protect the defence enough. 

It’s something you pull out when needing a goal rather than start with imho. 

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I could see it unchanged again, then the rotation coming about once the level of opposition drops a bit and the CL games start coming around. 

I think you’d be looking to freshen it up and make a couple of changes tbh. Problem is, all of those that came on vs Liverpool hardly staked a claim and it’s unlikely either Hall or Tino will be deemed ready to start either. 

Im guessing the change will be the obvious Targett for Botman and that’s it. 

13 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

If that’s the case, you would imagine Targett will be pushing to leave before tomorrow. I’d have thought it would be Burn moved to CB and Targett in at LB.

You’d think so, he’s back in the situation he was at Villa. That being said, we need a permanent deal and we need to make sure we don’t take a loss so it might be difficult to do given the limited time. 

What the fuck is Douglas on about. There's no way Lascelles slots in at LCB. I don't think he's played there once under EH, not in pre season or anything. [emoji38]

It will be Burn LCB and Targett LB.

I honestly don't think these journalists know their arse from their elbow.