Brighton & Hove Albion 3-1 Newcastle United (02/09/23)

Yorkie

Just now, Vinny Green Balls said:

And you will find last week was a blip when they challenge for the top 6 all year. It's pretty obvious, man.

And? Like I said they are beatable? How does that change anything? Pretty early to make that call on them, they are a good side but far from untouchable. 

24 minutes ago, madras said:

We are 1 point (undeserved as well at Brighton) worse off than in the corresponding games last season.

I saw the opening fixtures and knew it wasn't going to be pretty. I would rather get them out of the way sooner, rather than later.

4 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

We seem to collectively underestimate Brighton on here every year now.

I underestimated that we might not show up and play our best. If we did a different result no doubt. Very bad day at the office. Made Brighton look better than they actually played today. Time to regroup, retrain. Get the basics right. Onwards and hopefully upwards :indi:

Poor performance, lots of poor passing and we look very flat.

Let's not forget though that for the first 7 games last season we won only once, lost once and the rest were draws. That included much easier games against Forest, Wolves, Palace and Bournemouth.

Our next games are against Brentford,Sheff Utd and Burnley so it's definitely not time to panic just yet.

Edited by Scotty66

Just now, duo said:

It's not the fact we lost that is disappointing it's how poor we were.  This is Brighton - people are giving them far too much respect.  I'd expect us to at least have a go.

Last time we played them we pressed them hard and overwhelmed them.

De Zerbi made adjustments dropping Pedro in behind Bruno every time and they were breaking it with his ball carrying through the middle.

Teams respect is a lot more now and are adjusting to what we did last season. We too will have to grow and adjust also.

We may really need to consider countering teams instead when they do a good job of shutting down our pressing game.

Just now, Sempiternal said:

And? Like I said they are beatable? How does that change anything? Pretty early to make that call on them, they are a good side but far from untouchable. 

They are going to spank a few decent teams at home, as they have done for a few years now. If you think that we are a level above them, then I think you need to reconsider your position.

I fully expect to beat them in the home fixture.

We're always shite here. Feels like we can barely a pass a ball.

Had a sinking feeling after the first few mins when we fluffed easy openings. The team's mentality feels really off to me at the moment - isn't there a bonus dispute? We're seeing so little resilience or invention. Confidence just doesn't feel there at all.

I actually think it's a worse Brighton team 'on paper' than the one we won 4-1 against only a few months ago.

We also created 3-4 chances that needing put away before Pope’s double error gifted them their first goal. 

last season when it wasn’t clicking in attack the defense and midfield weren’t making mistakes like they have been the last 2 matches. It’s the fine margins again. 

7 minutes ago, Andy84 said:

City and Brighton brought their A games like. It’s the Liverpool one that’s still fucking bugging me 

Completely disagree.

City toyed with us that game, they didn’t really need to move up through the gears as our only response was sheer stubbornness in defense. If they increased their intensity, scoreline would have been far worse.

Brighton were nothing more than decent today, which was counterbalanced by an awful performance by ourselves.

1 minute ago, PauloGeordio said:

I underestimated that we might not show up and play our best. If we did a different result no doubt. Very bad day at the office. Made Brighton look better than they actually played today. Time to regroup, retrain. Get the basics right. Onwards and hopefully upwards :indi:

We were outwitted and outplayed by a team at home roughly at our level. We certainly could have played better, and probably played right into their hands, but I think Brighton are here to stay.

Seems like there's two camps*

We're fucking Champions league and should be beating all these wastermen and anyone thinking differently is a fanny

And

Last season we absolutely stretched our potential. We haven't got the foundation behind us, that the regular elite have, can't go out and buy superstars so have to let Howe do his stuff. Be pragmatic, be realistic. It'll be a transition

*Toon ain't binary, obvs

1 hour ago, Rod said:

No I haven't.

You have.

I was not comparing Tonali or Brunos contribution, or any of the midfielders. 

I considered the midfield as a whole, and what the thinking behind signing Sandro was, because its not given any of the midfield any creativity or free'd anyone up, they're all doing the same thing adding nothing new to our game, it's actually (although obviously relatively new for them all), hindered our movement going forward, I feel we missed Willock and what Joelinton brought last season driving us forward, a ball carrier.

Maybe they need more time, but I think I'd much prefer one of the three sticking to the holing role, and the other two taking the time between them to drive us forward.

Edited by mighty__mag

We were outwitted and outplayed by a team at home roughly at our level. We certainly could have played better, and probably played right into their hands, but I think Brighton are here to stay.

No doubt but us getting the basics right and playing to our best beats that Brighton team today! 

1 minute ago, jarralad said:

Terrible result but let's not forget how far we have come, things will turn themselves around.

Nothing wrong with losing, but when we are getting passed off the park, there needs to be some questions asked.

They are going to spank a few decent teams at home, as they have done for a few years now. If you think that we are a level above them, then I think you need to reconsider your position.

Well we finished above them, they sold 2 of their best players, lost colwill. I don’t think we are a level above them but I do expect us to be able to Give them a competitive game, like west ham did. We are a CL club, right now, so yeah I’d expect a lot better than today. 

7 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Brighton have put in performances where they've shat on Arsenal and Man City (I know that was a draw but they were great), they've also had matches like the Everton and West Ham ones where they've come unstuck.

If it's clear that on the day they're putting in a vs Arsenal/Man City performance, it just seems pointless pointing to the vs Everton/West Ham performances as a reason why we should have done better. It was so obvious that they were putting in a top performance today, everyone's passing, precision, positioning, first touch was top notch.

Edited by Kid Icarus