Newcastle United 1-0 Brentford (16/09/23)

Disco

1 minute ago, Greg said:

And that's a clear penalty. Gordon too quick for him and got to the ball first and keeper took him out. Accidental of course but that is a pen.

He didn’t touch the ball. No one got to it first.

Just now, Yorkie said:

Tbh I don't see why whether or not the ball could be kept in is relevant. It's why it's especially galling for Brentford, but I don't think it means it isn't a foul. What sort of precedent would that be?

It's like that collision Edison had with Fraser, that was a blatant penalty (even if it wasn't given), but the Man City defender had actually gone away with the ball.

I can see why Brentford would be annoyed, but it's a definite penalty.

2 minutes ago, Greg said:

He did - then got wiped out by their keeper before he could play it. 

Rewatch. My life savings versus your life savings. He never touches or gets near the ball. Only time the ball touches him is when he’s already out of play and ball bounces off his foot. 

Look forward to collecting my winnings in Milan… or at least a glass of red! ?

9 minutes ago, Greg said:

And that's a clear penalty. Gordon too quick for him and got to the ball first and keeper took him out. Accidental of course but that is a pen.

You can argue that Gordon tries his best to engineer contact but this is basically it in a nutshell. If you don't want to give away a penalty as a GK these days, you don't go clattering after the ball when a collision with a forward is likely. It's just that simple. They get given nowadays and that's it. 

4 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Rewatch. My life savings versus your life savings. He never touches or gets near the ball. Only time the ball touches him is when he’s already out of play and ball bounces off his foot. 

Look forward to collecting my winnings in Milan… or at least a glass of red! ?

He doesn't need to touch the ball. He gets there and as he's about to play the ball the keeper fouls him.

Yes he jumps into it - it's the type of pen Harry Kane has been winning for years. It's clever from Gordon and it is a pen.

I would also be furious if that was the other way around, but the way the game is now that's a pen. 

Just now, Greg said:

He doesn't need to touch the ball. He gets there and as he's about to play the ball the keeper fouls him.

Yes he jumps into it - it's the type of pen Harry Kane has been winning for years. It's clever from Gordon and it is a pen.

I would also be furious if that was the other way around, but the way the game is now that's a pen. 

You can’t say he got to the ball first if the ball is one side of the GK going harmlessly out of play and AG runs into him from the other.

All those Kane penalties aren’t penalties either. Clever usually equals cheating the officials.

If that get’s given last minute against us in the San Siro i will await your post match reaction ? 

Out of interest as clearly we will all have to agree to disagree… but those thinking this was a penalty what was there thoughts on the Pope/Wolves incident last season up here?

3 hours ago, Big River said:

not sure where to put this :lol: but in the bogs during the first half some absolute knacker having a wizz, doing a key and gagging all at the same time. then starts belting out the Gordon song with all the wrong words :lol: different breed. 

So @HaydnNUFC got a ticket in the end then?

2 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Out of interest as clearly we will all have to agree to disagree… but those thinking this was a penalty what was there thoughts on the Pope/Wolves incident last season up here?

Both penalties. No idea how the hell Pope got away with that to be honest.

Only think I’d say was the Wolves player (Jimenez?) was a bit more dramatic in the way he went down, not that it should really make a difference.

9 minutes ago, SteV said:

Both penalties. No idea how the hell Pope got away with that to be honest.

Only think I’d say was the Wolves player (Jimenez?) was a bit more dramatic in the way he went down, not that it should really make a difference.

See now I didn’t think the Pope one was a penalty. Jimenez runs towards Pope instead of the ball. Pope is just trying to get round him and goal side of him and doesn’t foul him or cause him to fall.

1 hour ago, LionOfGosforth said:

You can argue that Gordon tries his best to engineer contact but this is basically it in a nutshell. If you don't want to give away a penalty as a GK these days, you don't go clattering after the ball when a collision with a forward is likely. It's just that simple. They get given nowadays and that's it. 

Yep. Engineering contact has been part of the game for as long as the game's been played. We coach players to run across the line of the chasing defender and to turn their back to the opposition to shield the ball, knowing there will be contact. Using your body position/momentum has always been part of the game.

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I'd have been absolutely livid if it was given against us. Gordon sees the keeper coming and makes sure there's contact.

I wonder if the disallowed goal was playing on the refs mind.

If Wilson on their keeper was a foul, then their keeper on Gordon definitely was.