AC Milan 0-0 Newcastle United (19/09/23)

Disco

IMG_8525.thumb.jpeg.58fa75ad4db37d7776d6011e7d02cd09.jpeg

This looks surreal but it’s our level now and shows how much Howe and the backroom staff have raised the bar in their short time here. We are not just some plucky underdogs taking part in this tournament and that’s why some fans were disappointed with the performance against Milan despite us walking away with a great point.

Edited by Pata

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

My personal opinion: that's your perspective of others because you don't enjoy people critiquing what happens. I haven't seen anyone say they are unhappy with the club's direction. I have seen people say we played badly; some call certain players shit... but nobody is not enjoying the club from what I can tell. Name a poster who has said they do not enjoy it if you can.

All of our players are talented. And our manager has ability. The signing I've been most critical of is probably Gordon. But I've said he's been our best winger this season, he has a lot of positive attributes, and he's well suited to the manager's style. I question his quality but he can improve. I've said Barnes is a net positive after selling ASM. Neither are my type of player but I can see why they are here and I think they can contribute to our success. I think both have limitations which I'll discuss on this forum. I like the other signings a lot. I like Tonali but there's a lot for him and Howe to work on to get him right. I don't see things in black and white. 

I agree with you on your last point. But I enjoy talking about the details of what's happening. I want Howe and the boys to succeed. So I'll worry when we don't play well for 4 straight games. It's not the end of the world but I will share my concerns. I enjoy talking about what details are working well and I enjoy talking about what details aren't working well.

I seen a podcast a while back. There was talk about how Spanish footballers, pundits, fans etc. talk about the game. They talk about the details, the concepts, the ideas. They conceptualise the game. In England we just talk about the result. If you talk about the game conceptually people will mock you for highfalutin or pretentiousness. "Football's a simple game" a pundit will say whose management career ended by 55. And it trickles to the fans. "Why are you talking about the opposition getting into a halfspace? Just enjoy the game!!!!" not realising that some of us enjoy analysing the game. Critique is seen as dissent.

The simplest way I think I can put the whole 'critiquing' thing, is that I think there is a very clear disparity in what people define as critiquing.

You're right it isn't enjoyable to read when it is continuously done over and over again in so many threads, and when a lot of it draws ridiculous conclusions. It doesn't make for any kind of interesting dialogue.

I wouldn't necessarily put you in that category though, as you do go into more detail and some interesting points can at least be talked about.

I genuinely just wondered if you did rate the manager and players you usually address and if you were still enjoying following the club, because I really wasn't sure. Good that you do though.

I enjoy analysing the player and manager's development (or lack thereof). I enjoy the process. That's why I ask questions in threads, i want people to share ideas that can be discussed. Whether I agree with their perspective or not. And that's why I block people that want to focus on insults. I'm just here talking about football.

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I enjoy analysing the player and manager's development (or lack thereof). I enjoy the process. That's why I ask questions in threads, i want people to share ideas that can be discussed. Whether I agree with their perspective or not. And that's why I block people that want to focus on insults. I'm just here talking about football.

Yeah, nothing wrong with that. The manner you do so can be a bit unclear at times, which is why I asked you if you were enjoying it. I mean there are many points we have discussed, sometimes disagreeing and sometimes agreeing.

There's plenty others that think they are critiquing, but they are not. It's repetitive whining and complaining about the same points over and over again, and not taking onboard anything you try to discuss with them. It kills all the vibes on the forum.

Not everyone wants to discuss the finer points of the game. Some people don't give a shit about a double pivot, a low block or why the unpopular player who consistently does fuck all actually does a lot according to the data.

We're all different, you're not special because you want to discuss things in greater detail, nor is it wrong to be short, sharp and blunt when emotions are raw pre or post-game.

37 minutes ago, Pata said:

IMG_8525.thumb.jpeg.58fa75ad4db37d7776d6011e7d02cd09.jpeg

This looks surreal but it’s our level now and shows how much Howe and the backroom staff has raised the bar in their short time here. We are not just some plucky underdogs taking part in this tournament and that’s why some fans were disappointed with the performance against Milan despite us walking away with a great point.

Yeah and Man Utd were circa 5/1 to beat Bayern yesterday, so it's not just mainly down to UK bookies.

I do take a lot of stock in odds. If we just take the respective names, experience, history, profile, social media followers etc. of the two clubs, you would think we should have been around 6/1, but player for player it's nowhere near that, or shouldn't be, hence the close odds, but the the match did feel like we were major outsiders the way it panned out.

We beat Brentford (who were 5/1 to win) and drew Milan, two great outcomes, and that's what ultimately matters most, but the way both matches panned out you would have thought we were 6/4 vs 7/4 vs Brentford, and Milan were 4/9 vs 5/1 against us, not the other way round.

Edited by Paullow

On 20/09/2023 at 19:49, Curva Sud Milano said:

Ya,"the Razor" we loved him...very talented, a little slow but with an extraordinary tactical intelligence. When he died we dedicated a banner to him, he was still loved 35 years later. In the same years Mark Hateley, very good in head shot...became adored like a God for an unreal goal in a derby against Inter (1984 or 1985).

Before them, "the shark" Joe Jordan. Incredibly strong with his head and incredibly poor with his feet... but he too left a good memory.

hateley-wpa.jpg

Wilkins.jpg

Love this Ray Wilkins story. I know he had the piss ripped out of him for his commentary style and MY WORD. But even then, he just came across as a genuinely nice fella. 

https://x.com/hltco/status/1704872896848335310?s=46

1 hour ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Not everyone wants to discuss the finer points of the game. Some people don't give a shit about a double pivot, a low block or why the unpopular player who consistently does fuck all actually does a lot according to the data.

We're all different, you're not special because you want to discuss things in greater detail, nor is it wrong to be short, sharp and blunt when emotions are raw pre or post-game.

That’s fine. You don’t have to engage with my posts. You can ignore if you like. 

I want to talk about football. I don’t attack others for their footballing opinions. I just share and discuss mine. 

If someone else talking about double pivots and low blocks makes you annoyed - that’s your own personal problem. 

12 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

That’s fine. You don’t have to engage with my posts. You can ignore if you like. 

I want to talk about football. I don’t attack others for their footballing opinions. I just share and discuss mine. 

If someone else talking about double pivots and low blocks makes you annoyed - that’s your own personal problem. 

As we all do. Would you consider doing it a bit less? We've had well over 100 posts from you since KO on Tuesday, most of it repetitive. 

7 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

As we all do. Would you consider doing it a bit less? We've had well over 100 posts from you since KO on Tuesday, most of it repetitive. 

No.  If you don’t like it. Put me on ignore. 

I got half the page blocked on the Tonali thread. It’s improved my experience on this site. 

Edited by The College Dropout

Absolutely broken from this. :lol: Class trip, despite just about every leg of transport being a disaster over the 3 days. Left the house at 4:30am Monday, slumped back in 1am this morning. Be lucky to have had 8 hours kip over that period.

Anyway, back to replaying that Longstaff chance over and over in my head and thinking what if?! Can’t begin to imagine the chaos if that flies in.

Just now, Anderson said:

Absolutely broken from this. :lol: Class trip, despite just about every leg of transport being a disaster over the 3 days. Left the house at 4:30am Monday, slumped back in 1am this morning. Be lucky to have had 8 hours kip over that period.

Anyway, back to replaying that Longstaff chance over and over in my head and thinking what if?! Can’t begin to imagine the chaos if that flies in.

Aye, I was in The Strawberry and it was a pure heart in mouth moment. Literally would have went ballistic if that went in.

5 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Don't like the idea people are being told what and how much they should be allowed to post. Unless someone is breaking the rules it should be fair game. 

The thing about posting about football on N-O is you need to know when to start and when to stop. Now would be the time for TCD to stop. 

7 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

The thing about posting about football on N-O is you need to know when to start and when to stop. Now would be the time for TCD to stop. 

I do kind of admire TCD's commitment to continually arguing/debating the point in a weird way. 99% of the time if I make a comment and someone counters that remark, I go to reply, get 30 seconds into to typing and think "Fuck this, I can't be assed with this", so to see someone the complete opposite it kind of inspiring :lol:

1 minute ago, 54 said:

I do kind of admire TCD's commitment to continually arguing/debating the point in a weird way. 99% of the time if I make a comment and someone counters that remark, I go to reply, get 30 seconds into to typing and think "Fuck this, I can't be assed with this", so to see someone the complete opposite it kind of inspiring :lol:

If someone disagrees with me and I think it’s up for debate then I generally enjoy the discussion. If someone disagrees and I think their opinion is off, I just say fair enough and leave it at that. Couldn’t really give a fuck, we’re all just here to chat shit mostly until the next football match comes around 

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

If someone disagrees with me and I think it’s up for debate then I generally enjoy the discussion. If someone disagrees and I think their opinion is off, I just say fair enough and leave it at that. Couldn’t really give a fuck, we’re all just here to chat shit mostly until the next football match comes around 

Chat shit and win at Traitors I should add, that’s what everyone’s N-O’s experience should be geared towards