Sheffield United Vs Newcastle United 24/09/23 @ 16:30 (Sky Sports)

16 minutes ago, Andy said:

This is definitely the kind of game where Tonali should be starting. These are quite happy to concede possession so we're likely to control the game, it's the ideal game for him. 

Agreed - aside from Brentford basically every team we've played would be considered difficult opponents (and I'm not saying Brentford are easy either). He missed the Brentford game, so he's not really had a chance yet to bed in against a side we can hope to dominate a bit more. 

1 hour ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

I’d actually take a defeat, well maybe I’d take a draw, if it meant we beat City in the cup. 

I do want us to take the cups seriously but we can’t afford to drop too far behind the early pace setters in the PL. Spurs and Liverpool have difficult away games today. Three points keeps us in touch.

Not so sure it’s all on him. He has looked off it at times and he’s never going to be as natural a goalscorer as Wilson but he’s an insanely talented footballer. We’ve been setting up as if he’s a target man and not delivering any through balls. Think a lot of work needs to go into figuring out how to get the best out of Isak, Tonali and our wide players. At the moment, we’re looking quite lost in our build up play and that’s not on Isak 

2 hours ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

What’s the rush and desperation to see Livramento and Hall? They’ll get game time and they’ll be eased in. There’s no rush at all

the back four played well v Brentford, can’t remember them having a chance apart from the first five minutes when Pope saved from Hickey. It was a backs to the wall performance in the San Siro but they held out. 

two clean sheets on the spin, why change literally half the defence and drop our captain? It seems some people think that just because we played on Wednesday then this automatically means players but be dropped out the side. 

Sheff Utd are there for the taking, keep it as it is. Beat them, rest them v city if needed. 

Our midfield isnt creative enough atm for us to have a left back like Burn who offers so little in attack. Especially when Tripper lately has been somewhat lacking in his offensive contribution aswell.

Wouldnt swap out both at once in a premier league game though.

Edited by Displayname

I'm always going to be generally in favour of playing Targett or Hall at LB instead of Burn in a game that I expect us to dominate possession. Think having our LB be an absolute non-factor in our attacking play is really impactful, especially when we also lack a bit of creativity in our wingers and midfielders.

Would like to see Anderson start, assuming we stick with a 4-3-3.

Would love us to try a 4-2-3-1. I don't get the impression Howe has any intention of doing it though, thought we looked quality with it and Isak playing off Wilson second half at Brentford last season and we never went back to it.

Just now, joeyt said:

Has he though? He's never got anyone near him. He can't do it all himself

needs the willock near him .. or similar 

hope we have a proper performance today to get some momentum back, feels like we are building up a little. Bruno has been starting to tick and influence the game. let’s have it 

2 hours ago, Chris_R said:

It is a great idea. That way he can continue to play well in future matches against 'harder' opposition.

Plus you show a promising youngster who you've invested heavily in and convinced to join your project that he does have a place here and will get minutes in situations other than when Trippier is injured or banned.

Everyone wins.

For the record I'm not saying specifically rest Trippier today. But we should rest some players today, quite a few of them for my money, and whether today or another day at some point we should voluntarily rest Trippier. It's a squad game and we have lots of matches this year. 

Exactly this.

If we have players in the squad that we don’t trust to get us the points against Sheffield United then they shouldn’t even be in the squad.

As for Trippier, he had a hard game on Tuesday against Leao and is likely to have an even harder game on Wednesday against Grealish, so rest him and bring Livramento through against the weaker opposition and opponent in Luke Thomas.

4 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Exactly this.

If we have players in the squad that we don’t trust to get us the points against Sheffield United then they shouldn’t even be in the squad.

As for Trippier, he had a hard game on Tuesday against Leao and is likely to have an even harder game on Wednesday against Grealish, so rest him and bring Livramento through against the weaker opposition and opponent in Luke Thomas.

Trippier should rest the City game 

8 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Exactly this.

It’s not a question of trust.