Sheffield United 0-8 Newcastle United (24/09/23)

Disco

52 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Excellent to see better movement from our wide forwards.

Miggy drifting into the middle to receive passes caused them all kinds of confusion.

Our passing through the midfield was top notch. Looked a bit like what Milan did to us. I’m delighted we maintained that level through the match.

We’re a couple of levels above Sheffield Utd but it’s easy to be pulled down to standard of the team we’re facing . NUFC have been very guilty of that in the past. 
Yesterday our play reminded me of Fergie’s Man Utd. Just relentless and razor sharp. No mercy.

This was really great to see, hopefully he tries this more in the coming weeks.

13 hours ago, relámpago blanco said:

I think we were fortunate today with that result.  We still had the same issues at the start of the game.  Once we scored, then another, they just lost confidence.  I don't mean to be negative but I just don't like our current system.  Eddie will resolve it, we can't maintain this half pres half possession based system.

What a time to be alive.

I think it's only the second time we've scored more than five away in the league for nearly 60 years, the other being the 6-0 at QPR in 2016.

In fact, when we beat Barnsley 6-0 at home in 1993 it was the first time we had scored more than five in ANY league game since the 1960's.

2 hours ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Saying we were fortunate by focusing on their 2 half chances is like saying Brighton were lucky to win because we fluffed 2 good opportunities up in the first 7 minutes against them.

In this league, every team will get at least 1 decent chance a match the vast, vast majority of the time.

This really shouldn't need explaining.

Hard to believe people can sit and watch so much football and not even know what they're looking at.

It's a great point you raised about the Brighton game because we could have easily scored a couple early on like you said. Funnily enough no one was mentioning that when we lost.

Think some folks just have a knack for viewing the team from the most negative viewpoint. It's bizarre.

10 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Can’t believe we didn’t get a pen for the Gordon foul.

Was a mental decision, but it almost felt like the ref didn't want to piss off the home fans anymore given the aggro after the third goal went in. Also think our players did not make as much of a fuss over it as we would have done if it was more consequential.

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

This really shouldn't need explaining.

Hard to believe people can sit and watch so much football and not even know what they're looking at.

It's a great point you raised about the Brighton game because we could have easily scored a couple early on like you said. Funnily enough no one was mentioning that when we lost.

Think some folks just have a knack for viewing the team from the most negative viewpoint. It's bizarre.

Vs relegation teams last season when we finished 4th:

Conceded in both games vs Southampton, in the last one we were 1 goal down at half time and won it late.

2 draws against Leeds, conceding several chances including a missed penalty in the last one.

1 win and 1 draw against Leicester, we dominated the draw when they completely parked the bus, but we started conceding chances in the last 10 minutes including a huge one in extra time.

I don't understand how on earth a slow start to a game is a cause for concern all of a sudden.. I asked for examples of games where we "played out of our skin for 90 minutes", but it seems like he can't provide it.

Edited by Erikse

3 hours ago, 54 said:

I keep saying it. We've become really good at killing games, and I love that about us. So much fun when we just keep scoring. No trying to drop deep just to invite them back into the game.

Edited by Erikse

Just watched the highlights back.  As I was pretty hammered yesterday and watching down the pub is never ideal for picking up on everything.  Not meaning to take away anything from our performance.  As we have said for a while someone is due a thrashing when it all clicks and we were quality all over yesterday.  Like a totally different mindset to our approach and pace to our attacking play, after some ridiculously tough games.  But fuck me, they were sooooooooo bad.

How is it that they defended deep, but failed to mark anyone?  Constantly wrong side and shirt pulling.  Not tracking runners off a simple 1-2.  The midfield?..  What midfield?!  They  genuinely looked like they didn't play with one and it was like they were down to 9 men.  They really looked like a team that has downed tools and given up playing for the manager.  Worrying as fuck for Sheff Utd fans.  Wilder back in is hardly inspiring! 

Gordon MOTM.  But yet again, Botman looks like he's been a regular in the league and the top level for about 10 years and Trippier seems to be playing some of the best football of his career.  Burn was much more involved in an attacking sense and the team had much more balance because of it.  

The problem with these things is that as soon as you start picking up on how posters are distracted by negatives and not just enjoying what it means to be a supporter, you can end up taking it too far and then you yourself become someone who gets distracted by how posters are being negative and not just enjoying what it means to be a supporter. if you're not careful you'll become one of them yourself basically. 

Surprised Heckingbottom hasn’t been sacked yet this morning tbh. One of the most abject performances I’ve ever seen.

He made it so obviously worse at half time as well. They went to a narrower shape and just left Trippier free to do whatever he wanted.

Edited by Smal

8 hours ago, Stottie said:

Sheff U were unlucky on the first, which was a common sense handball, if not a "rules of the game" one.

Not lucky at all with goals 2 and 3 though which clinched the match. Goal 2 is a penalty for holding if BDB misses. You could call holding on several different players. Goal 3 was a free kick after that "orange card" challenge. The trip on Gordon should also have been a penalty.

I think the scoreline and performance will write a new history of the season for Sheff U, but it took Man City and Spurs late winners to beat them. Credit to our lads for dispatching them so easily.

See this is how fans have been warped over the years with the changes to the rule etc. It’s not even a common sense handball. It’s absolutely a case of a ball accidentally hitting a hand. Gordon had no intent to do it or made an unnatural movement either. It’s the classic old school non-hand ball. If anything I would argue it’s more of a modern hand ball by the rules of the game.

Anyway either way this is why they rightfully removed the argument from someone assisting and left it only applying to the scorer.

To me the rule should be it’s not a hand ball unless you move your arm towards it when ball not goal bound. Then you could have a more severe interpretation for a goal bound effort where it just has to hit the arm below the sleeve line it’s a penalty so clear cut for a more likely goal prevention whereas the defender has a little more scope to be excused when not goal bound.

Some of the decisions of late are basically just giving teams goals.

4 minutes ago, Disco said:

Owt been said about the inbreds who were winging stuff at the players after the 3rd?

Surprised there’s been no mention by the league or Sheffield United. That was bad, enough was thrown for Tripps to warn the lads and move them away. Had no sympathy for the pummelling we gave them after that. 

Lots of positive comments on the Sheffield United forum and in my local community (very near Sheffield) this morning for the way in which Newcastle fans behaved yesterday, particularly in relation to the minutes silence and applause. 

Many of which have said there was no better set of supporters to be visiting than Newcastle, given the occasion and the respect they wanted to show the girls family.

Lovely to hear the majority of our fan base is held in high regard.

Edited by BlazeT44

Seeing a lot of people complaining about the foul for the third goal not even being a foul, never mind a booking?  Not really sure what people are complaining about.  That kind of tackle gets pinged almost all the while nowadays and at this level, no?  Clearly follows through with his trailing leg and ends up quite high, as well.  That's before you even debate whether or not it was excessive force and if he is in control, or not.  Half reminded me of De Jong on Ben Arfa all those years ago.  Just seems a bit needless and too many tackles like that could result in serious injury.  

Just because people like me, who played about 15 leagues lower don't think it's bad because he "got the ball" is kind of irrelevant.  

3 hours ago, Lotus said:

Excellent to see better movement from our wide forwards.

Miggy drifting into the middle to receive passes caused them all kinds of confusion.

Our passing through the midfield was top notch. Looked a bit like what Milan did to us. I’m delighted we maintained that level through the match.

We’re a couple of levels above Sheffield Utd but it’s easy to be pulled down to standard of the team we’re facing . NUFC have been very guilty of that in the past. 
Yesterday our play reminded me of Fergie’s Man Utd. Just relentless and razor sharp. No mercy.

I was actually a bit miffed with Miggy for the first 20 mins or so, his default mode seems to be to run around but not actually attack the opposition with any real intent. But in the second half he did get into some really dangerous areas, and yeah he was coming in central and causing them real problems. And that goal was mint, love how he stepped over it to block the defender's attempt to cut him off.