Sheffield United 0-8 Newcastle United (24/09/23)

Disco

1 hour ago, Lush Vlad said:

Seeing a lot of people complaining about the foul for the third goal not even being a foul, never mind a booking?  Not really sure what people are complaining about.  That kind of tackle gets pinged almost all the while nowadays and at this level, no?  Clearly follows through with his trailing leg and ends up quite high, as well.  That's before you even debate whether or not it was excessive force and if he is in control, or not.  Half reminded me of De Jong on Ben Arfa all those years ago.  Just seems a bit needless and too many tackles like that could result in serious injury.  

Just because people like me, who played about 15 leagues lower don't think it's bad because he "got the ball" is kind of irrelevant.  

Even on the Sheffield United forum there were some users saying that they were lucky not to recieve a red. It was just a yellow for me, but for sure it was a foul imo.

Edited by Erikse

10 minutes ago, TRon said:

I was actually a bit miffed with Miggy for the first 20 mins or so, his default mode seems to be to run around but not actually attack the opposition with any real intent. But in the second half he did get into some really dangerous areas, and yeah he was coming in central and causing them real problems. And that goal was mint, love how he stepped over it to block the defender's attempt to cut him off.

That little step over was very sharp. Good confident finish too.

9 hours ago, Mazzy said:

Always wondered why football shirts haven't been designed like rugby shirts in more recent times. Seems like our tops this season are super susceptible to being grabbed, that's 4 times so far already this seaon I've seen one of our players with a ripped shirt from being pulled.

I think shirts should be designed to just tear apart really easily, make them out of something like crepe paper so that when someone grabs your shirt they're just left with a handful of material whilst you run off

Firstly it makes shirt pulling almost pointless if it doesn't stop the player, but secondly there's clear evidence it has happened because the opponent is left holding half the shirt.

Downside is that at least until people stop doing it, players will need about 10 shirts each per match. :lol: 

What an amazing game!

So good to see us find our way into the game, click properly - love how we didn't ease off and went for the throat, hopefully fills the team with confidence again.

Fine Sheffield United were bad, or we made them look worse than they are, because given their past games I was holding out for a gritty 0-1 win, so that was a bit special.

Also, a lot of great performances across the park, but really pleased with Gordon and this from a former undecided / doubter.

Already looking forward to the next game, and hopefully giving City a proper scare.

In fact I actually can't wait for the Liverpool return game and getting revenge in the league either.

1 hour ago, Erikse said:

Even on the Sheffield United forum there were some users saying that they were lucky not to recieve a red. It was just a yellow for me, but for sure it was a foul imo.

I didn’t think it was a foul tbh. He played the ball fairly and I think the ‘follow through’ was more of Longstaff’s momentum taking him over the player. 

28 minutes ago, buzz said:

Tom Davies in those highlights :lol: Absolutely astonishing he has 155 PL appearances 

I struggling to think it a worse performance coming of the bench then that, swear he played a part in three goals for various calamities :lol:

46 minutes ago, Lotus said:

I didn’t think it was a foul tbh. He played the ball fairly and I think the ‘follow through’ was more of Longstaff’s momentum taking him over the player. 

The player himself knew he could have got a red card, he was happy to just get booked :lol:

1 minute ago, Pilko said:

He was meant to be marking Bowen when he scored too, not sure how they worked that one out.

I think it's a very stats driven system that FotMob use, and like any system designed like that, it's going to be weighted towards what the creater deems more important from each position, now given he's a defender Van Dijk and Botman would be judged on defensive stats, and given Van Dijk probably had way more defensive work to do then Botman did, it's probably pushed him above him (not that I necessarily agree with it btw).

For instance Van Dijk won 12/13 areal duels compared to Botmans 3/3, Botman won 0/0 ground duels compared to Van Dijks 2/2 etc.