Newcastle United 4-1 Paris Saint-Germain (04/10/23)

Disco

1 minute ago, TaylorJ_01 said:

This really doesn't feel like what actually happened

Thought the exact same thing.

Most of their possession was in areas that were not as dangerous, and we were mostly allowing it when we dropped off selectively.

Even then that 73% still seems high from what I watched. Really strange.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Most of their possession was in areas that were not as dangerous, and we were mostly allowing it when we dropped off selectively.

Watching at SJP it seems accurate. We couldn’t get a hold of the ball in the second half especially.

I cannot even begin to tell you how sensational that was.

I only came for the Champions League anthem and to see us compete. I left with a 4-1 win against one of the best teams around having seen Jamal Lascelles emasculate Kylian fucking Mbappe as just one of the smaller stories in a richer tapestry where Trippier was perfect, Schär was undeniable and should never ever be underappreciated again, Bruno reminded everyone of who he is, Tonali for all his hiccups brought a sense of been-there-done-that to our midfield, Miggy worked his arse off and was so direct, Gordon worked hard but was up against raw pace, Longstaff took his game to the highest level and made it work, likewise Burn, and Anderson saw the match as his stage and shone.

None of that does any of it justice, I've been in a dream, incredulous, laughing my tits off for the last hour.

Pope: 6.5

Trippier: 10

Lascelles: 10

Schär: 10

Burn: 10

Bruno: 9.5

Tonali: 7.5

Longstaff: 9

Almiron: 9

Isak: 7.5

Gordon: 7.5

Anderson: 8

The best match I've ever been to. Fair play to the PSG fans, it sounded like them and their drum had been mic'd up by Steve Albini, but they also didn't react to anything, their show went on without any regard for what was happening on the pitch and they also inadvertently pumped up the home crowd who seemed to take it as a point of pride that they were at times noisier than us. The drum really was great though tbf.

A magical night, I'll never forget it. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

29 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Let my 7 year old lad stay up to watch this. Watching the highlights now I feel so jealous seeing all the dad’s with their kids at the ground. Hope the lucky little shits remember it for their entire lives ❤️

Fucking amazing, man. I remember watching our last game with my brother some 20-odd years ago when we were teens. He passed away 2 year back and never got to see us in this place (he was a poster here for a wee while), but I hope to one day take his boy and girl up for nights like this. Cried tears of joy tonight. Unbelievable.

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

People look too much into stats. Our xG and possession was really poor but I felt like we were in complete control from the beginning tbh. Them playing tiki taka with their back 4 will obviously skew the statistics.

Edited by Menace

1 minute ago, Dr Venkman said:

Watching at SJP it seems accurate. We couldn’t get a hold of the ball in the second half especially.

Mostly when we were up though and allowing them a bit more possession to consolidate.

We were never really under any real pressure.