Newcastle United 1-0 Arsenal (04/11/23) - Post match reaction from p. 46

Yorkie

6 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Would be class if we’re in Arteta’s head now and they’re rattled every time we play. 

We’ve been in their head since that 0-0 last year, they thought they’d slayed that particular dragon in the SJP game last year but it’s just come back tenfold for them. 

Reading people compare us to Stoke or Atleti when we’ve hardly been shithouse FC at all this year. If that’s what’s in their heads every time they play us they’ll always be at an disadvantage. 

It’s rare to see someone fall apart so completely on camera. I don’t see a way back for Arteta from this in the long long term. He’s shown himself to be incredibly weak. There’s a way of holding yourself professionally, applying pressure and maintaining a position of strength. He’s basically shown everyone that when the pressure is on, he’ll piss his pants. He did it last season and threw away the league, he’s already started this season. Mentally, he’s not strong enough for this

One thing I like about the NFL version of VAR is that the referee announces that either the “call is confirmed” or they say “the decision remains as called”.

And that’s what happened for the Gordon goal,

- in play - confirmed 

- foul - as called on field (no evidence of error)

- offside - as called (no evidence of error)

it puts the focus back on the referee’s on-field decision, and reconfirms that VAR is there to check for errors not make their own decision 

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Fucking hell they moan on. I mean, Bruno is an idiot. One is a red, could/should have been booked for the other two. The one he got booked for I didn’t even think was a foul, ironically :lol: Vieira went down holding his face, like one of their players did in the first half when he was touched on the chest. 

Bunch of absolute fannies. This is glorious :lol: 

8 minutes ago, gbandit said:

It’s rare to see someone fall apart so completely on camera. I don’t see a way back for Arteta from this in the long long term. He’s shown himself to be incredibly weak. There’s a way of holding yourself professionally, applying pressure and maintaining a position of strength. He’s basically shown everyone that when the pressure is on, he’ll piss his pants. He did it last season and threw away the league, he’s already started this season. Mentally, he’s not strong enough for this

Impossible to disagree :thup:

Got to bare in mind that Saturday was his first domestic loss since May. First game of domestic football they've lost in 6 months and he's had a genuine and complete and utter meltdown immediately afterwards. Bloke looked on the verge of tears and ironically he's now become the weak link in his own set-up. His team play some lovely stuff and are far more resilient than in years gone by but he's now the liability, he's the one who can't control his own emotions and it'll transmit itself onto the pitch when his team are playing in big games. Teams are a reflection of their managers and he's pure fucking dodge, the cosseted little prick 

15 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Everyone said last year the cracks appeared far too early for him/them to last in a title race. Had a similar meltdown after our 0-0. 

It was the first week of January FFS :lol: 

1 hour ago, mikejaxer said:

Wow so many new angles

Anyone else find it interesting that they cut away from the action to a new, very low visibility angle for only the very moment where the usual camera would've had a great view of Joelinton's goalmouth challenge? :shifty:

29 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I thought the same last season. Hard to keep your head when you see your manager and coach carrying on like an emotional wreck on the touchline.

2 hours ago, midds said:

Said it last night - he's tried to do Longstaff 100% there. Even if he wins the ball it's going directly into the stands for a throw, he just saw the red mist and flew in to try and wipe him out. It was a blatant attempt to try and injure him with the nature of the tackle and the position it happened on the park. To not red card him was absolutely spineless and helped to kick the rest of the players off, ref was an arsehole all night 

100%. The fact he’s smirking when he sees the ref run over with the yellow already out speaks volumes. Not to mention he doesn’t go over to Longstaff. Not exactly known for his hard work and closing down either regardless of his history against us.

If you notice in the run up to it Joelinton leaves a little nudge on him as he gives ball away and then he sees the chance to do Longstaff.

Absolutely criminal he wasn’t sent off and even worse that they made Longstaff stand on the touch line for being wiped out too. Fucking terrible. Fuck knows what the linesman was watching, was on his side so he could’ve seen he’s massively out of control and studs up.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

My interpretation of it was Havertz has gone to block the ball and leave something on Longstaff.

Thankfully his front foot doesn't make contact and he's clipped him with his trailing leg, so he's got away with a yellow.

It's a tough decision and I can see the argument for a red, I don't think it's overturned if given on-field.

You keep saying this, but he quite clearly make contact with his front foot :lol:

Oh and if anyone wants to take a look at the Bruno actually gets booked, their player puts his hands into exactly the same area on Bruno, difference being our player didn't throw himself to the deck holding his face