Borussia Dortmund 2-0 Newcastle United (07/11/23)

Yorkie

Didn't bother posting last night as some of the takes here seemed at odds to me, but I'm still proud of the club.

Yeah I'm disappointed, yeah that wasn't the best version of us, but there is absolutely no shame in being humbled by Europe's elite when even by our own admission, this CL experience came a bit too early for us.

This is all a learning curve for these players, our manager who has never managed a club in Europe, and a club that is still at a delicate stage of it's rebuild.

I'm disappointed, but not upset. I'm seriously proud of my club and proud of how the fans have carried themselves around the continent (atmosphere/singing is a separate concern).

Onto the weekend and let's sign off for a welcomed break with 3 more points.

The harsh reality is we've failed to score in three of the four games and created very little in those. Cant remember too many shots on target or cleared off the line or excellent saves made by their keepers. Its why it's called the group of death and we've been unlucky with the draw. But especially with injuries.

Howe will be hurting but also using this as a steep learning curve to perfect it for next season in Europe. The games have seemed to be slower and less frantic than the PL and we've struggled to impose our identity and game plan against top quality seasoned CL teams. 

You can't tell me we wouldn't have faired better in these last two games if Isak, Tonali, Botman and maybe even Barnes as fresh legs off the bench, had been fit. 

The first three mentioned atleast were bought for these exact games. So to not have any of them and worse to have fatigued and young players filling in everywhere. 

Yeah no judgement from me. Free hits for Eddie as far as I'm concerned. If we had lost with our full squad available and fit and healthy then fair enough maybe we could have a few criticisms but hopefully they players that have experienced these games got to learn something from them. 

Edited by alexf

I see us as having a great chance of winning the league cup and would be more disappointed going out in that than the CL. The CL was always going to be a learning curve and an adventure once we got dropped in the group we are in, we are in with 3 seasoned CL teams 2 of them former winners of the competition

4 hours ago, 500bhp said:

The harsh reality is we've failed to score in three of the four games and created very little in those. Cant remember too many shots on target or cleared off the line or excellent saves made by their keepers. Its why it's called the group of death and we've been unlucky with the draw. But especially with injuries.

Howe will be hurting but also using this as a steep learning curve to perfect it for next season in Europe. The games have seemed to be slower and less frantic than the PL and we've struggled to impose our identity and game plan against top quality seasoned CL teams. 

But at the same time Longstaff v Milan, two cross bars at Dortmund at home would have had us 3 or 5 more points.

Even if Joe scored last night we might have held on for a draw.

Sometimes it's not the number of chances or even the quality but just somehow getting the ball over the line

Seemed like they didn't care at all. I had fun getting in the home end, got there about an hour early, got scanned in for the South Stand, and then told I had to go back out and walk around to the North Stand... you can see how this is going to go wrong! 

So obviously get to the North Stand and the ticket won't let me scan in twice, not speaking English and keeping my head down to get in the ground going really well ffs (Had probably 6-7 beers at this time and can handle my water so wasn't just being a moron :) ) Got sent somewhere to get it fixed and the guy at first didn't seem like he had any interest in helping, thankfully kept cool and he finally co-operated, then we have to go through the rigmarole of the huge queue and search etc again (3rd time now). Such a sweat on the last attempt thinking good chance not getting in, would've put a real dampener on the trip not getting in for this reason. Finally got in and sorted with about 5 minutes to spare, loads of people wearing Newcastle tops, singing in the stands etc, was mental, think it might've gotten nasty if the result had gone differently. 

Not sure if it's already been mentioned but thought this was an interesting stat:

Newcastle are the first team to start as many as eight English players in a Champions League game since Man Utd against FC Kosice in 1997.

That Adeye or whatever he's called jumped up and caught a cross with his hand over his head, seemingly before the ball was out if play, as we got a free kick by the sideline. Was that for handball? If so, how the hell did he not get a yellow for that? Very annoying because he was kicking people right, left and center all second half too without getting cautioned ?

10 minutes ago, Peppe said:

That Adeye or whatever he's called jumped up and caught a cross with his hand over his head, seemingly before the ball was out if play, as we got a free kick by the sideline. Was that for handball? If so, how the hell did he not get a yellow for that? Very annoying because he was kicking people right, left and center all second half too without getting cautioned ?

I, genuinely, said that at the time. Regardless of the fact it was going out it was deliberate so a yellow. 

Maybees the ref took that into consideration but, apart from incorrectly booking Hall, he was card shy. Esp for them.