Paris Saint-Germain 1-1 Newcastle United (28/11/23) | Reaction: pg. 52 | Goal-post: OP

Disco

Guest reefatoon

Wanted to watch any fall out over this on Sky Sports News, but had to switch it off because of the absolute deviant host. What a fucking over the top excitable wank splat he is. Irritating to fuck, like he is some over the top host on kids tv.

Honestly struggling to be angry despite VAR last night.

On the cusp of December, half a squad missing and still in all competitions. We're absolutely smashing it! We're within reach in the league and we can still guarantee some form of Europe. The sheer depths this team keeps going too will never not amaze me. We're over performing & consistently sticking two fingers up to every one who writes us off. We won't have a harder season than this (FFP), we will only improve and we'll be hated even more. 

Give me a team and manager that plays the way we do week in and week out... I'd die a happy man! 

Guest reefatoon
Just now, PauloGeordio said:

Think they’ll be handing it to the Mancs on Saturday retribution that is! But yeah :indi:

Think you are right. Think we will take our frustration out on them. We will definitely be up for this.

In the wake of the ridiculous final minutes of last night's game I was massively angry and felt the injustice hard. However, what's done is done and no amount of ire or complaining will change it, the result isn't a nail in our coffin and I still believe we have a huge chance to progress and the safety net of the Europa if PSG do what they haven't done yet and win away from home so long as we concentrate on us we'll still be in Europe after the next game.

The whole situation is a farcical comedy, blatantly inept or corrupt, you decide. A point blank pile driver into the midriff that happens to canon onto a naturally positioned arm in no way could ever be a pen but here we are. We can feel hard done by but we can't dwell on it, it won't change anything and we can't let it affect further games.

If any one or more of the numerous chances PSG had were taken, I would be sitting here with a draw or a comfortable loss being gutted but saying fair enough.

That’s the main thing that’s keeping me in a philosophical mindset about this, that we rode our luck, so I’m not gutted by the result or the performance, in fact I’m happy with both in the grand scheme of things, it’s just obviously the manner in which the result was removed because VAR and the ref picked up the ball and went home.  

Considering the relatively good decisions that were made up until that point, the 8 minutes added on, the point that it happened in the game, and how universally worthy of ridicule both the VAR intervention and the decision made were, I can’t help but feel like a defcon 1 button was pushed by VAR.

It’s daft, I don’t actually believe it, but how can you blame anyone for feeling that way? Hanlon’s razor might be an adage about stupidity but it also provides a cover for malice.

We’re all here after a match and yet again talking about how, by yet another remarkable coincidence, the only people in the world who would make that decision were the only people in the world in charge of making that decision. And they just gaslight everyone.

More than just how shit the decision was, the main thing for me is that it will now yet again dominate the chat after the game and we’ll see more replays of Livramento’s inadvertent handball than his Messi impression before the goal. Ally McCoist couldn’t have put it better when he said that they completely ruined the night, not just in terms of the decision, but in terms of undoing everyone except those with bias’s enjoyment of the match.

In terms of our performance. I’ve seen some amazing Newcastle performances over the years, but I struggle to think of a time when I’ve ever seen us play like we did in that first half. It was unique, the decision making, quality on the ball, attacking intent, precision in passing, and defensive responsibility were all superb, really impressive. Everyone, to a man, gave everything they had and played so well.

Second half we ran out of steam and Howe was obviously hamstrung by his options. I've no doubt that with other players available, Isak especially comes off late on, so I have no real complaints and really nothing but admiration for the way Eddie had us set up. To go to Paris and play like that with the injury list we have is remarkable. That was another step up in my estimations of Howe’s ability and one that I didn't expect him to make until we had a stronger squad, never mind him making that step with not just a weaker one, but a weaker injury ravaged one. 

Regardless of what happened, that was a brilliant and then resilient European performance from Eddie and the boys.

Pope: 10

Trippier: 9

Lascelles: 9

Schar: 9

Livramento: 10

Miley: 8

Joelinton: 8.5

Bruno: 9

Almiron: 9.5

Isak: 7.5

Gordon: 7.5

Edited by Kid Icarus

5 hours ago, magvicar said:

I think the ref knew fine well it hit his chest and then under his elbow but there were a good few penalty calls and the chanting fans plus the whinging PSG players managed to sway the ref from his original decision.

Basically the ref had a decent game up until he bottled that last call.

The ref seemed to gesture to one of our players, who was complaining, that Tino’s arm was high/in an unnatural position (he was running btw). Don’t think this should, in theory does, make a difference when the ball is deflected at high pace and close range off another body part. 

12 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Yep, nobody seemed to mention that, I guess VAR has no power over it because it was outside the box?

That's my understanding too, though maybe if they think it's a handball and therefore a red card it should have been looked at?

1 minute ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

That's my understanding too, though maybe if they think it's a handball and therefore a red card it should have been looked at?

30 pages of handball outrage and you want a red for him accidentally falling on the ball? :lol:

1 minute ago, Fezzle said:

30 pages of handball outrage and you want a red for him accidentally falling on the ball? :lol:

There's enough there for VAR to look if he deliberately moved his hand to the ball after he hit the deck 

Edited by madras

Just now, madras said:

There's enough there for VAR to look if he deliberately moved his hand to the ball after he hit the deck 

Just think its ridiculous for us to complain about handballs when that was completely accidental too

4 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Just think its ridiculous for us to complain about handballs when that was completely accidental too

I think the point is that it’s not really different to Tino - you could argue if the ball rolls then Isak has a chance to snatch it 

Both were accidental 

2 minutes ago, Mikky said:

I think the point is that it’s not really different to Tino - you could argue if the ball rolls then Isak has a chance to snatch it 

Both were accidental 

So what you want refs to make more mistakes now?