FA Cup Third Round: sunderland (A) 06/01/24 @ 12:45 - Live on ITV

2 hours ago, Checko said:

Think we should just fucking ghost them tbh. Rock up with Dummett and Ritchie et al. and be like, 'oh this is a big game for you is it? Sorry, we're just not that bothered. We've just had a crunch top of the table game against Liverpool not long after our crunch Champions League game against Milan, but it's sweet you guys made the effort for us.'

Going to be a big banner, that one.

49 minutes ago, IAmATree said:

Sounds like he canny wait to embarrass them 😁

Aye liked the sound of his response in the press conference, no playing it down and wasn't aware how bad our recent record was. Think he's going all out for the win here.

Edited by WideopenMag

4 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Good point re atmosphere. As much as we/everyone likes to talk-up the passion of this game, not sure if noise levels are going to be any more intimidating than Paris, Dortmund and Milan. Not to mention some of the noisier Premier League grounds the whole squad are used to. 

If they get it right, the atmosphere will be more like Everton away in 2022 which we did end up losing - a lot more bile-filled than bloody Paris' yellow submarine... Being loud and being personally, nastily engaged are two different things.

Can't be denied that it's often really hard, especially for foreigners, to wrap their heads around domestic cup matches against lower division teams being highly important and viciously competitive however. It's the discordance that can knock them off balance.

I think we'll come through it fine though - for a lot of reasons e.g. their character, our lads will strike the right balance overall.

On 05/12/2023 at 13:12, WideopenMag said:

You can't pick a team or approach a game on the fear that they might get injured. If they're fit to play and available then they should be selected. Just a ridiculously negative attitude. It's a big game and means a lot to the fans, pick the best team available get in won and sub players off if needed. If he plays a second string team and we're beat whilst first team players were available and likely desperate to play then yes he will deserve criticism. I'm quite confident he won't do that and will get this fixture.

I'm not suggesting he will play a second string.

As I explained before, the players coming back from injury are far from second string.

The days of second string players in terms of woeful weakening are over with.

We have two teams of quality and I believe some of those playing all the games up until that game , will be rested and the team Eddie puts out will be far from weak and more than capable of putting Sunderland to bed, quite comfortably, assuming they're not complacent, which I doubt.

Nah. It'll be more or less the strongest team, pending injuries. I think Howe will want this one. He will know he can't be having a loss to this lot, especially given the relative gap between the two sides.

Full strength and hopefully put it to bed early in the game. Then we can rotate.

Still wish it wasn't happening mind :lol: 

56 minutes ago, magvicar said:

I'm not suggesting he will play a second string.

As I explained before, the players coming back from injury are far from second string.

The days of second string players in terms of woeful weakening are over with.

We have two teams of quality and I believe some of those playing all the games up until that game , will be rested and the team Eddie puts out will be far from weak and more than capable of putting Sunderland to bed, quite comfortably, assuming they're not complacent, which I doubt.

Just don't think that's what's going to happen and nor should it be. Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree and wait and see.

5 hours ago, WideopenMag said:

Aye liked the sound of his response in the press conference, no playing it down and wasn't aware how bad our recent record was. Think he's going all out for the win here.

Yeah, was very encouraged he didn't try to play it down, he recognised it would be an explosive atmosphere and seemed to relish the prospect. He gets it.

Trying not to give this to much thought until the week before, absolutely hate the build up to this fixture.

For anyone thinking it’ll be a walk in the park though I’d brace yourself.

Roll back the years to Luton under Keegan, Robson against Wolves and for those with short memories Sheff Wed last season.

Championship clubs away in the FA Cup 3rd round are notoriously difficult.

Pray we win but it’s far from a certainty.