Newcastle United 1-2 AC Milan (13/12/23)

Yorkie

1 minute ago, Andy said:

It's how he's played all season and been praised for it :lol: the team is clearly structured around Schar making these bursts, the cover should be there if he makes a bad decision or pass. 

It wasn't like any other game this season, it was in the last 10 minutes of what was essentially knock out football. That's where your game IQ comes in and you use your loaf. That's the difference between winners and loosers at this level.

Very sad, lots of effort and being back in the CL has been great but that was a carbon copy of the Liverpool game. Took the foot of the gas trying to sit deep and play counter attack and we’re just really poor at it. Tactically bossed.

Something else in the final third badly needed in January. 

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Won one, drew two, lost three

I’ve loved all of this, and those lads worked their bollocks off.  But it’s hardly controversial to say that we aren’t an elite European team

Missed out the get out of jail pen 

I know we're not playing the blame game on anyone, but Wilson was a bit non-existent, you'd have thought Gordon could have got a bit more out, and a straight swap with Wilson and Isak was possibly a better shout in hindsight. 

Done me in this, I've enjoyed these nights, we might not have them back now for a few seasons. 

:'(

Just now, WideopenMag said:

It wasn't like any other game this season, it was in the last 10 minutes of what was essentially knock out football. That's where your game IQ comes in and you use your loaf. That's the difference between winners and loosers at this level.

Sad Alec Baldwin GIF by DreamWorks Animation

We give the group a good go, Dortmund were class but if the other two are the best Europe has… fuck em!

Robbed in Paris..

But we will learn from this, no shame, big journeys begin with small steps..yadda yadda yadda

Move on, lets go win the FA cup

3 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

1-0 up which would have been enough. We really have to learn to win games when it matters. Just naïve.

It's happened too many times this season, we are losing a lot of points in the closing stages, especially since we've lost players for one reason or the other.

I saw most of it on telly, I have to say the fans were brilliant tonight. Constant singing first half. You only heard the away fans a couple of times. Second half nerves set in but well done to the support today. McCoist etc all commented on how good it was. 👏

Just now, WideopenMag said:

We had to win the game to qualify, I'm not going to rip into them for pushing on and having a go like, even if it was a bit naive. Quite happy to fuck the Europa League off, we can clearly do without the additional fixtures. 

Man, thats heartbreaking, we where the better team by a distance in the first half, and in the second it was 50/50, which unfortunately they edged. 

This season was always a free hit though, and we got the ultimate group for that, away trips to Millan and Dortmund, and while it's really really disappointing that we lost, i'm fucking proud of the resilience of that Milan away game, the display we showed in the PSG home game, and the backs to the wall performance in the Away leg. There are some fucking quality memories from these six games, and i'm glad a lot of this current crop of players got to experience, players that with all likelihood won't be part of the project in a seasons time. People like Miggy getting a goal in the Champions League, Dan Burn Scoring at the Gallowgate, Lascelles and Schar shutting out Mbappe over two legs, Joelintons goal today, just a shame Wilson never got on the score sheet, I wouldn't want any other group of players to be playing in our first Champions League campaign for 20 years.

There are so many stories from this season that will live long in the memory, and while it hurts, we are very much on an upward trajectory, and i'd much rather this feeling that i've got now, then the feeling of two and a bit years ago, so I hope everyone is fucking proud of what this club has done in a short space of time. 

Howay the fucking lads.

Hard to criticise this team but that was an ordinary Milan team very much there for the taking for me.

We need to steady the ship with just a win of any sorts on Saturday, starting to look all a bit disjointed and forced at the minute.

Keeper situation needs resolved in January and we need Botman back asap.

Proud of that effort.

Not the result we wanted but my gut feeling before this game - and I know it was potentially only 2 more games - was I'd rather put all our energy and resources into requalifying than having an extended run at the expense of it. 

Miley was great today didn't think he needed to be subbed. As far as there winner it was a three vs three at the back pick up a man each and hold them up. Not get in the box then everyone come central leaving chukuwueze free to pick his spot. 

1 minute ago, WideopenMag said:

Yep, extraordinary the numbers who aren’t getting that.  Milan had four forwards on - they were desperate, knowing that they had to win. We needed patience, not our centre half thinking he’s Beckenbauer.

These lads have done the club proud, but naivety is not a trait that the elite sides have.  We’ll be there soon enough

We were class first half, didnt make our dominance count. Their first goal was against the run of play, but we gave way too much space to Leao. After this, we panicked as we knew we needed to win and showed naivety against a more experienced opponent at this level.