Newcastle United 1-2 AC Milan (13/12/23)

Yorkie

2 minutes ago, Orphanage said:

We have to be able to play more than one way ( high energy / press ) we need to be able to win ugly ( 1-0 ) at times . Learn that skill and we'll win something otherwise it'll always end in tears

Tbf the very best teams don't really do this. When plan A isn't working they don't go for plan B, they fix plan A.

3 minutes ago, Orphanage said:

We arent Liverpool . When you run out of energy its good to know you have another style of play to fall back on that gets you through 

Aye they have 25 players of the required quality.  Thats the difference. 

We can stick to high intensity. We just need a squad that can play it. 

Just now, Orphanage said:

We arent one of them ( yet ) 

"Learn that skill and we'll win something otherwise it'll always end in tears"

The teams that win things don't do that is the point. Would rather we just brought in better players in to reinforce our style even more and give players a breather.

7 minutes ago, TBG said:

We're coming off the back of 14 years of nothing more than a club existing.

We were happy to shout "We don't demand a team that wins. We demand club that tries".

We've got that now.

Yes we didn't get the result we wanted, but we should proud of the lads for putting Newcastle back on the map.

Onwards and upwards.

Worrying. 

Just home. Haven't read any of the thread but my initial observations.....

- I couldn't see that coming at HT. Thought we were exceptional at times in the first half particularly given given the chasm in quality between the sides when we played them away. It was almost the opposite of that in the first half tonight.

- Felt tonight, as with the Dortmund games, at this level there's just that little bit of extra quality and perhaps guile you need to really compete and we maybe lacked it over the group stage on the whole. Maybe it's just experience, I don't know but I felt that in both Dortmund games and even tonight when we'd majorly dominated them, Milan never really looked mentally shaken. It's almost like we're punching slightly above our weight and, even though, we're dominating more experienced, heavier opponents, every time they see the gap in our guard they fucking catch us. And it's not a gentle, speculative range-finding jab, it's a bastard upper cut that hurts us.

- My overall feeling is one of real pride. We got the group of death and stared the bastard in the face and gave it our best shot whilst we're running on fumes and playing high level matches every, what feels like, 48 hours.

- A fully fit, and perhaps a bit more experienced NUFC, qualify from that group. Comfortably. Who would have ever thought that?

- I found the Burn sub bizarre unless Trippier was injured/totally fucked given he's getting this weekend off anyway.

- I'm not all aboard the hype train for Young Miley yet but I thought the first half was his best half of football for us yet by a distance.

- I also thoughy both Bruno and Joelinton were superb.

Final thoughts are the club missed a massive trick in helping the players tonight. When PSG went 2-1 up, that scoreline was shown on the screen at the Leazes end. I don't know why they didn't announce that the goal had been cancelled. We were at 1-1 at the time and I think it would have given the players and crowd a huge surge of momentum just when everyone needed it. Maybe they're not allowed to, I don't know, but it just seemed the club missed a trick at times tonight for me.

I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned it in the thread, as I'm just through the door, but the atmosphere should have been incredible tonight but it wasn't a patch on the PSG game imho.

Really hope we can pick ourselves up for Chelsea next week, particularly.

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Pep and Arteta have tinkered their approach a fair bit in recent years. 

Klopp is doubling down on Plan A though.  The original Plan A. 

Arteta hasn't won anything.

The fundamentals of Pep's game still never really change. You're right that he tinkers and innovates, but the main elements are still there (and are a bit boring to watch now imo)

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Arteta hasn't won anything.

The fundamentals of Pep's game still never really change. You're right that he tinkers and innovates, but the main elements are still there (and are a bit boring to watch now imo)

Neither has Eddie. 

My point is - some top teams do tinker the approach to fairly big degrees. 

I think it can be a great strategy to focus on perfecting Plan A especially when we are still team building. But it’s also viable to tinker the approach if that’s what is deemed as necessary.  Saying top teams don’t go to a Plan B, isn’t true and is an oversimplification.  

I think Howe will do Plan A better fwiw anyway. 

Great adventure with some fantastic occasions but we need to push on from here. Second half was stale, Eddie needs to be ruthless, if you are notup to it you need to be moved on, Lascelles, Almiron, Dubs. Potentially ok for back up but really not good enough

1 hour ago, Gawalls said:

Agreed- if Sunderland have any sense they’ll be practicing shooting low in the corners, he just can’t get down in time it seems. As someone said better than me a few pages back - Pope uses his feet at times as well, dubs doesn’t 

Pope is a great shot stopper, and yes he uses his feet to great effect. Some of his saves are pretty top stuff. But no sense in crying over spilt milk. We either roll with Dubs or Karius or plunk down some cash we may not be able to afford after losing out on about 15M today. It's not the end of the world but does suck.

Not seen any of the game back, only saw it in real time at the match. But fucking hell we seemed so naive second half. Imagine how it would have played out if Milan were 1-0 up at HT. They would have killed off the whole second half with petty fouls clinical yellows and full on shit housing. 

Its been a great adventure and a very steep learning curve for Howe and the players.