Newcastle United 1-2 AC Milan (13/12/23)

Yorkie

8 hours ago, The Prophet said:

The quote from Eddie is interesting, because it's quite rare for him to single out a particular mistake as being crucial. Normally, he will generalise along the lines of 'we were not at our best'.  The goal was a crucial turning point, because we had looked well on the way up until then. 

Lascelles got caught in two minds. The main thing that has prevented him from being a top-class defender has been indecision. 

Woken up absolutely gutted, but my overriding emotion is one of pride. 5 points out of that group, first CL experience in 2 decades - should've been 7 and EL qualification if not for a horrendous ref decision. Love this team, we'll be back.

12 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Apologies @BullyDogs, this was uncalled for & over the line

Ffs made me waste 5 minutes of my precious morning going back 8 pages 😂😂😂

I was over it instantly. The match, I mean, not that exchange 😉

Absolutely gutted we had it in our grasp but this adventure has arrived before we're ready and it'll be a very steep learning curve. 

Besides the Xmas schedule means we HAVE to get straight back on the ride and push on. 

If I have any anger towards anyone over our CL demise it's at our £55m fruit machine who sat and watched his boyhood club progress on. 

It'll pass tho, now I've typed it 😂😂😂😂

10 hours ago, ryanegg said:

Was thinking this when Tomori made that block for Miggy.

Allison save from Miggy, Maignan save from Bruno. Similar ‘what ifs’ but we have to take our lumps and bumps and move on.

Unbelievably we still have another 5 games in 2023 to navigate before we get some breathing room and the chance to take stock in January. Three of those are extremely winnable, almost ‘must wins’ based on current form, the other two are largely free hits.

I do think there’s an element of tired-gate. As Shearer said with expectations of players and that mentality creeping in. That’s what came across to me after they scored. Their heads dropped and they just looked a different team. You could see Eddie was clearly disappointed as he walked over to the players. 

That said of course I’m proud of the commitment, quality and desire they did show and have shown over the last two seasons. If we’re gonna step up a notch, we do need to rid any negative mentality so we have the right mind-set throughout.  

For me a number 6 was missing last night. We do well to push with the support of the defensive, but the moment that midfield drop their arse, we’re in trouble. Just that extra body there defensively should do it whilst strengthening on the right and an extra option up front. 

Edited by Geordie Boyo

30 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Ffs made me waste 5 minutes of my precious morning going back 8 pages 😂😂😂

I was over it instantly. The match, I mean, not that exchange 😉

Absolutely gutted we had it in our grasp but this adventure has arrived before we're ready and it'll be a very steep learning curve. 

Besides the Xmas schedule means we HAVE to get straight back on the ride and push on. 

If I have any anger towards anyone over our CL demise it's at our £55m fruit machine who sat and watched his boyhood club progress on. 

It'll pass tho, now I've typed it 😂😂😂😂

The anger towards Tonali is growing the more games we lose/ the more injuries we get and more tired our players get.

I understand it like. He best be fucking elite next season

24 minutes ago, gbandit said:

[emoji38] what a clown. Probably as bad faith a summation of the situation as anyone could possibly pull out of their arse

Such lazy reporting but I can imagine this narrative gaining traction with other fans. No room for context or nuance.

Richest club but handicapped by FFP in a way that doesn't affect the likes of Chelsea, City, PSG and others.

Unfortunately, unless Howe keeps overachieving the knives are always going to be out. And it'll be the same for future managers I suppose.

1 hour ago, r0cafella said:

I think having an out and out creative central midfielder means we need to change our entire game plan which I don’t think is feasible given all of our recruitment has been geared towards our current style of play

What the club does need to do is be ruthless I’m afraid, we can only have 25 players max so anyone who is injured too frequently basically has to be replaced. If the average first team player is going to be 40-50m we can only replace 3 a year due to FFP. 

it’s a really tough job and you can see why nobody has consistently bridged the gap between the big teams since FFP came in. 

I'm not sure it has. I don't think Tonali was signed merely to be a Longstaff upgrade, nor Gordon and Barnes to challenge for the same spot.

Edited by madras

I am proud of Eddie and the team, but I am still gutted even though I know how we’ve been overachieving anyways. Football is cruel man, had that shot from Bruno gone in, we would be waiting for the UCL R16 draw next week. I know I will get over this just like I got over the Liverpool match, but I really feel like winning the EFL cup now might be important to save the season if we don’t make it to the top 4/5 by the end of it. 

It's a weird result to live with. I woke disappointed but with a weird, calming and comforting sense of it all having been our own fault. Very strange feeling to have about going out of Europe altogether when going through in the Champions League was right there for the taking. 

Maybe it's only the so closes, what ifs, if onlys, thrashings and injustices that bring out the heartbreak. Imo we had none of them to blame.

Edited by Kid Icarus

2 minutes ago, Sean said:

The disappointment hit when I woke up this morning - we were well capable of going through last night but it just wasn't to be.

Honestly the fact we couldn’t call upon so many players hurt us massively - and they are all big players for us who can take the burden from the current XI

Its a great experience for us - so much to

analyse and process - a great indicator of where we stand, what we need, what can we do better - for next time, whatever European competition it is, we have something to fall back on.

I honestly don’t think it’s a case of we weren’t prepared or ready - during the campaign we have had so many players missing - that’s just bad luck and I think that’s the most disappointing thing for me - we didn’t get to have a proper go at it.

I can’t wait for our next phase of development - its damn exciting.

Regardless of our style or ethos we have to develop the tactical discipline of when to be compact and when to go for it. As others have said, the onus was on Milan, we didn’t have to force anything. The way we lost our shape was quite surprising.
Not sure what happened yesterday, can’t really blame inexperience as it was Schar’s run that put us in trouble. 

Still, it’s over now. Hard to say how well we’ll respond. I would normally think we will bounce back but the disappointment, the sheer adrenaline dump of it all coupled with the exhaustion and mental fatigue and the ridiculous fixture list might mean December will be a month of mixed results and performances.

I must say, as gutted as I am I’m still not as despondent as I’ve been with bad results in the past. I have absolutely no doubt we’re moving in the right direction. It won’t be a linear progression but the overall trend is definitely upwards. It’s nice to think that no matter how sad I am now, the club will be better placed next year and even better equipped the year after. It certainly takes the edge off.

30 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

It's a weird result to live with. I woke disappointed but with a weird, calming and comforting sense of it all having been our own fault. Very strange feeling to have about going out of Europe altogether when going through in the Champions League was right there for the taking. 

Maybe it's only the so closes, what ifs, if onlys, thrashings and injustices that bring out the heartbreak. Imo we had none of them to blame.

We go through without that ref call in Paris. Feel free to be absolutely crestfallen. :lol:

Gutted but proud in equal measure.

That equaliser completely sucked the energy out of the crowd, especially where I was in the Gallowgate.

Knowing Eddie's work ethic and continuous strive for improvement, you can bet he'll learn a lot of lessons from the campaign that will ultimately stand him and the team in good stead going forward.

No time to feel sorry for ourselves, we've got to make sure we're ready for Fulham and start to turn around our league form. Tough month ahead no doubt!