Chelsea 1-1 Newcastle United (19/12/23) Chelsea win 4-2 on penalties

Yorkie

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We're literally getting criticised for barely getting out of our own half, and he's getting criticised for taking on a shot. :lol:

I actually agree in this instance he should have ran for the corner flag like. 

But then Trippier... .........  Just say it.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

I felt this way about a number of our away performances. Particularly PSG. We offered nothing to stem the tide of opposition attack. Not a tactical move. Not really a substitution move. It’s just buckle up, keep going lads and hang on in there. At the highest level of football - is that good enough?

I get with less injuries. The freshness probably gets us over the line more often than not. But surely we need to have a way to play on the back foot? Like actually keep the ball or be dangerous on the counter. 

Not sure if I posted that. 

The 451 let’s keep losing the ball tactic has to change. 

It seems that when Chelsea had the ball they were able to almost get a breather, we just seemed to be chasing the fucker around all night. 

4 minutes ago, Ketsbaia said:

I still can't shake off my decades-long apathetic attitude towards this competition. 

It's the competition I rank the lowest during the season for sure. Might just be because I'm American though. The FA Cup feels way more important to me.

5 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We're literally getting criticised for barely getting out of our own half, and he's getting criticised for taking on a shot. :lol:

I actually agree in this instance he should have ran for the corner flag like. 

The one time you want the ball on Miggy's right! ;D

30 minutes ago, Ketsbaia said:

I still can't shake off my decades-long apathetic attitude towards this competition. 

Just felt that we'd never have beaten Liverpool anyway and, pre-match, instead of excitement it was more about being pissed off that yet another match would inevitably bring more injuries.

So it is what it is.

What's frustrating is that we played with 50% effort and still almost beat them comfortably. Not once did I believe their half-chances would go in.

But Kieran  :sad:

West Ham isn't a walkover for them. If West Ham win tomorrow, then what happened here will be a real shame.

Edited by Erikse

1 hour ago, Superior Acuña said:

Flashbacks to standing waiting for the metro home, year after year as a kid when we got knocked out of a cup, saying 'next year!' to my dad. I'm fucking 34 :anguish:

I'm 50. Born a month before the mackems won the FA cup. Got maybe 30 years left if I'm lucky, starting to think I'll never see us win anything in my lifetime.

43 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Miggy taking that shot and not taking it into the corner, leading to their counter that became the goal, is the best example of this. 

I went back and looked at this. There was about one minute and twenty seconds, and two changes of possession, between Miggy's ill-advised shot and their goal.

Yes, he should have gone to the corner, but it didn't really lead to their goal.

39 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

It's the competition I rank the lowest during the season for sure. Might just be because I'm American though. The FA Cup feels way more important to me.

Nah, everyone knows the FA Cup is more important and respected.

We had 22% possession against a shit Chelsea team.  That does not win you many games unless you are fantastic on the counter which we aren't. 

And Trippier needs dropping, Howe can call it earning a well earnt rest if he has to. We actually have quite a few options at Fullback it's time to use them.  

We played them at home 24 days ago, had 54% possession to their 46% and beat them 4-1.

Our starting line-up had 7 out of the 10 outfield players who started today's game.  It was:

Pope, Trippier, Lascelles (c) (Dummett 87), Schar, Livramento; Miley (Diallo 90+3), Guimaraes, Joelinton; Almiron (Murphy 87), Isak (Ritchie 81), Gordon (Ndiweni 90+2)

So this time we had Botman instead of Schar, Longstaff instead of Big Joe and Wilson instead of Isak. Otherwise the same.

Yet this time we had only 22% possession and were constantly on the defensive.  Obviously home advantage isn't the only factor, but it shouldn't make that much of a difference

I can understand feeling upset or angry after some of the endings to these matches but it didn't really feel like we were ready yet.

It was great to get the experience but the injuries and the timing of those injuries has caused us to look like a completely different team. That doesn't make it any easier but I can't wait for the next few seasons when this team is healthy and flying into these tourneys. 

This is just the beginning. Let's smash the mackem bitches and get ready for the upswing.

Lady luck fucked us this season; and not in a romantic way.

18 minutes ago, GideonShandy said:

We played them at home 24 days ago, had 54% possession to their 46% and beat them 4-1.

Our starting line-up had 7 out of the 10 outfield players who started today's game.  It was:

Pope, Trippier, Lascelles (c) (Dummett 87), Schar, Livramento; Miley (Diallo 90+3), Guimaraes, Joelinton; Almiron (Murphy 87), Isak (Ritchie 81), Gordon (Ndiweni 90+2)

So this time we had Botman instead of Schar, Longstaff instead of Big Joe and Wilson instead of Isak. Otherwise the same.

Yet this time we had only 22% possession and were constantly on the defensive.  Obviously home advantage isn't the only factor, but it shouldn't make that much of a difference

We have played 6 games in between those two games, largely with the same players in every game with the exception of a few players being rushed back from injury due to others getting injured, while Chelsea have played 4 with a bigger squad and less injuries.

1 hour ago, GideonShandy said:

Football is never played like this.

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I felt this way about a number of our away performances. Particularly PSG. We offered nothing to stem the tide of opposition attack. Not a tactical move. Not really a substitution move. It’s just buckle up, keep going lads and hang on in there. At the highest level of football - is that good enough?

I get with less injuries. The freshness probably gets us over the line more often than not. But surely we need to have a way to play on the back foot? Like actually keep the ball or be dangerous on the counter. 

Not sure if I posted that. 

The 451 let’s keep losing the ball tactic has to change. 

I was critical of the Milan and PSG away performances but this felt different as we actually defended really well and Chelsea never looked like scoring in the second half until Trippier’s mistake. It’s not nice to watch but we were gifted an early goal and nullified them well. Obviously it would be easier if we could keep some possession but once again tiredness and available players didn’t really help. Ritchie played most of the second half and I can’t really remember him completing any passes right now.

2 hours ago, GideonShandy said:

The game at SJP was immediately after the international break.

Allowed some of our players to get a rest.  Also allowed more preparation time.

3 hours ago, McDog said:

Tbf, same as Badiashile early in the game. We didn't threaten at all during the game. Sucks and was very unfortunate.

My logic when we failed to breakdown ten man Liverpool, if it wasn't for Alexander-arnold's howler we wouldn't have even scored, then we rage about our mistakes(s) at the end. Different type of game like, but we didn't seem to count our gift 

I was amazed Bruno scored after that runup. Horrible memories of the last time.

Just on 10 man Liverpool, but so long as Salah is on the pitch, they have a fast-break cheat code. You cannot commit fully forward against them. Salah is why they rarely get beat with 10 men (or 11). It took an own goal to beat them when they were down to 9 at Spurs. I would dwell on that as a failing.

Still gutted about the result. We got gifted our goal but defended it resolutely until that blunder. We'd coped with their pressure and possession admirably.