Chelsea 1-1 Newcastle United (19/12/23) Chelsea win 4-2 on penalties

Yorkie

Absolutely shite when 1 up yet again and again we’ve lost. Horrendous game management again. I’m not having the fatigue excuse either when we don’t use the bench. Hall is a better option on the wing than Ritchie no matter what. He’s got no legs anymore and offers absolutely fuck all. 

I know it’s all relative, but stick even half of these players in the matchday squad and we win that comfortably: Pope, Schar, Targett, Willock, Joelinton, Isak, Barnes, Messi, Anderson, Tonali, Gordon (fully fit).

I have no problem with Trippier or Ritchie taking pens. Ritchie's been the clubs penalty taker before & his pen was decent. Trips is technically excellent, a team leader & has taken them in penalty shootouts before.

Sometimes players miss penalties. Shame theirs were all really good.

1 minute ago, mighty__mag said:

It's a mistake, he's hardly done it deliberately [emoji38]

No obviously not but it was a ridiculous thing to do and is now added to a list of fuck ups over recent weeks that have cost us. No point in being in denial about it and brushing it off as a daft mistake he's clearly in shocking form and needs a spell out the team.

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Playing like this for 90 mins is just inviting this sort of thing happening.  Our away form is just incredibly poor

Baffled we didnt manage any sort of possession for the second half. Becoming a problem.

In all fairness, you can't just give a team wave and wave of attack after attack and expect to keep them out, we had chuff all possession second half and the equaliser seemed somewhat inevitable, just an absolute shame it came from another error from Tripps.

1 minute ago, Skeletor said:

At the end of the day I'd still take this over the Ashley years. Yes it's really disappointing compared to last season but how do you account for all these injuries? Literally every game someone is getting injured. Today it looks like Gordon has been done by a red card tackle that wasn't punished.

Yep, those injuries keep racking up.

It really, really does need looking into. 

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

True but we've been pretty crap away from home all season aside from 2 games and some of those games were before the injuries.

I think tonight was down to players knackered and a complete lack of options again. It is what it is, we just have to ride it out 

1 minute ago, WideopenMag said:

No obviously not but it was a ridiculous thing to do and is now added to a list of fuck ups over recent weeks that have cost us. No point in being in denial about it and brushing it off as a daft mistake he's clearly in shocking form and needs a spell out the team.

Have a word with Eddie man, you seem like you're well equipped to advise [emoji38]

2 minutes ago, Bally21 said:

Aye cruel to concede with 2 mins injury time left, howe tried to rest trippier but he came on as kraft presumably had a knock?

Penalties had a feeling of inevitably about them.

Just praying that kraft, botman and Gordon are OK.

Livs could have come over to right and we had at least two options for left, tripps wasn’t our only lb choice. He got brought on cos he was tripps and it was the wrong choice.

2 minutes ago, NSG said:

I know it’s all relative, but stick even half of these players in the matchday squad and we win that comfortably: Pope, Schar, Targett, Willock, Joelinton, Isak, Barnes, Messi, Anderson, Tonali, Gordon (fully fit).

Messi? 🤣

5 minutes ago, Beren said:

Really, really poor from Howe (said it when we were winning also).

So disappointing.

Going into a game where you're knackered, they're not, the aim has to be to bring them down to your energy level - not increase the disparity by chasing shadows with eleven barely fit players. Absolute mad tactics.

The introduction of Ritchie makes no sense.

He is not even acting as a body because he can barely move. 

I struggle to think of a less effective player in those particular circumstances. 

This is not a criticism of Ritchie himself as it is not really fair on him to put him on the pitch.

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

??? it was literally won until his RB gave the ball to an attacker eight yards out.

I'm not talking about the result. I'm talking about protecting the team and the season. It's only December, we're down to the bare bones, there's still five plus months of football to play. We were at least equal to Chelsea on the ball, but just went in vertical lines in possession for 70 minutes.

Eddie Howe's "work 'em til they drop" mentality is working - they are dropping, and he isn't learning. I hope he re-evaluates his methods and approach in this respect over the summer. You can't keep playing this way when you don't have the tools, it becomes a vicious cycle of injuries and poor form.