Luton Town 1-0 Newcastle United (23/12/23)

Yorkie

5 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Our lack of creativity and lack of being able to break a team down who sit back is alarming. At no point did I think we were going to score or even look like it.

Struggled with that last season that’s why we were hoping for Maddison.

1 minute ago, ChrisMcQuillan said:

I don't think they were lazy in any other game this season until today. 

Watched most of it and simply don't agree they were "lazy". Out of energy, low on confidence and making poor decisions aye. Lazy? Not at all. Hard to look like you care when you can barely run. We're in a rut, definitely and it's not easy to see a way out until the fixture congestion eases and the injuries improve to the point players can actually recover and get the intensity and confidence back.

That was the most grimly predictable result of our season. Luton have upped their game every time a name has turned up at Kenilworth, plus with what happened last week they were always going to play at 110%. Fair play to them, they absolutely deserved to win.

The biggest concern about our away form is how we don't really look like creating anything. It’s not like we’re peppering opposition keepers with shots. Our final pass is almost always universally shit - blindly put into an area where we don’t have anyone, overhit or into the first man.

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Tbf there are some overboard reactions, but ‘they’re tired’ is applying no more critical thinking than those you’re pointing fingers at.  

Christ mate, howay. I didn't just say "they're tired". It's obvious that low energy and confidence begets poor performances and increasingly low confidence. It's a spiral and a very obvious mitigation point. Hoying your toys out the pram the split second a game has ended with a poor result, just illustrates too many are operating on emotion (understandable, we're all football fans and humans), rather than a clear thought process.

The bad news is...(stating the obvious)....we're in a bit of a rut.

The better news is, we are not out of anything as of yet because we still have January to come good and other teams still have their own rut to go through, as far as I'm concerned.

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Tbf there are some overboard reactions, but ‘they’re tired’ is applying no more critical thinking than those you’re pointing fingers at.  

Do people seriously need a critical analysis of our current situation?

Other than thriwing games (which in hindsight would have been a better option) there isn't much to say ither than "we're obviously going to be shite, we're knackered".

We had to start two wingers who physically can't run anymore :lol:There's only so much you can expect really. 

The average Newcastle fan is out of breath walking up to their seat in the ground so it's a bit pointless listening to them claim fitness and fatigue has no effect on the performance. 

The recent run of form goes to show how important belief is in football. Last year we were riding that wave of positivity and were gladiatorial. The players looked taller, stronger, faster and more technical than the opposition. 

It's obvious that the injury crisis has caused a physical issue, but there is a clear lack of belief away from home. We're playing within ourselves and look small, weak, slow and clumsy on the ball. Players are making bad decisions, playing too safe, dropping too deep, not being brave enough in the press. Some of this can be down to fatigue, but not all of it, as our home performances are still relatively similar to last year. 

Lots of work for Eddie to do. A few good signings in January are needed to change the mood imo . 

Just now, christ said:

That was the most grimly predictable result of our season. Luton have upped their game every time a name has turned up at Kenilworth, plus with what happened last week they were always going to play at 110%. Fair play to them, they absolutely deserved to win.

The biggest concern about our away form is how we don't really look like creating anything. It’s not like we’re peppering opposition keepers with shots. Our final pass is almost always universally shit - blindly put into an area where we don’t have anyone, overhit or into the first man.

We play the ball so slowly away from home at the minute. We're trying to control tempo more but it's just too predictable. It's like watching us in January '23.

4 minutes ago, Nowhere Man said:

Absolute shite December and you can’t just blame injuries. That team should have beaten Luton easily. 

Had enough for now so just going to enjoy Christmas & New Year’s not thinking about Newcastle United. 

All the best..

I'll put you a ManU calendar in the post 

10 minutes ago, RS said:

If you think that you don’t know football. Have you seen the state of our squad?  I’m putting today down to a very bad day at the office. 

Issue is i know football very well...no manager is more than 6 games from the sack. Bad days at the office can happen, but they're happening far too often at the minute. Yes EH has done a great job and has been stuffed by injuries and bad luck this season, but that won't be how it looks when going across a desk at PIF.

6 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

"We're a highly physical side who have a severely depleted squad, who have been playing in the most conjested point of the season in 2 extra competitions" Eddie Howe probably.

Is it fair to ask whether he’s considered having to adapt and play a different way? It looks like we’re trying to but not succeeding. I’m not going over the top in my opinion, that was a poor performance and we’ve not looked competitive in quite a few matches in a row.

3 minutes ago, magvicar said:

The bad news is...(stating the obvious)....we're in a bit of a rut.

The better news is, we are not out of anything as of yet because we still have January to come good and other teams still have their own rut to go through, as far as I'm concerned.

Pool and Villa in January away 😂

7 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

What exactly are people posting "pathetic performance" expecting? :lol:

It's shite to see how bad we are but it's fairly apparent why teams playing less games are able to outperform us on their own patch consistently.

I didn't even think it was anything like the descriptions I'm reading, unsurprisingly.

Shit up top, really shit, particularly Wilson who yet again got ragdolled and resorted to panto villian bollocks, but behind our attacking players we dominated the ball and put the ball in areas where you'd expect at least one of Wilson, Almiron, Gordon, or Isak to be. But they never were.

I can accept people calling it shite, abject, even pathetic, but I've seen people saying it was lacking effort, lazy, unprofessional, which is just complete bollocks like. At worst, they're playing like they're feeling sorry for themselves a bit, or just playing shite. Some have seemingly taken for granted what actual unprofessionalism looks like.

Just now, nufc123 said:

Pool and Villa in January away 😂

It doesn't matter who we play, what matters is us getting up to speed again with players back and a few new signings, whether that's loans or whatever.

All is not lost.

We were always likely to have a second season of come down after achieving what we did last season and what we've been through this season.

It's not too late to kick start.

3 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Christ mate, howay. I didn't just say "they're tired". It's obvious that low energy and confidence begets poor performances and increasingly low confidence. It's a spiral and a very obvious mitigation point. Hoying your toys out the pram the split second a game has ended with a poor result, just illustrates too many are operating on emotion (understandable, we're all football fans and humans), rather than a clear thought process.

You’re right, they’re emotive reactions mate - sometimes people just need a release.  I felt numb more than owt else today.

It is mainly fatigue, though that doesn’t mean that the management team takes no liability on that - failure to rotate at the start of the season and a failure to change up the playing style have contributed to the injuries and fatigue.

The hotheads calling for Howe to be sacked or under pressure are being daft, of course.  But I also don’t think Howe is blameless. 

I’m sorry but I consider it unprofessional if a football team persistently can’t pass to each other. We weren’t executing basics - that’s why I said unprofessional. It also did look a bit lazy to me, we didn’t seem to really push for anything. Second to most loose balls.