Newcastle United 1-3 Notts Forest (26/12/23)

Disco

4 minutes ago, MagMal said:

Too many champo level players, miggy, burn, longstaff, dubs not one of them would be a target for a team challenge for the top, all either been here for years or brought in as short term fixes when we had no options, and the worrying thing is that there are no other options at the moment.

The squad isn't big enough or good enough and it is frustrating, it will take years to have the solid foundations we need we just need to patience, doesn't mean that it doesn't piss me off though!

Our starting 11 today was much better than Forest's. 

Quite a run of poor form. Since we beat Man Utd, 1-0 at home in early December probably one of the best team performances of the season, we have:

Lost 3-0 away to a Tier 3 team (Everton)

Lost 4-1 away to a Tier 2 team (Spurs)

Lost 2-1 at home to Milan to exit European competition 

Won 3-0 home to Tier 3 team (Fulham, who were down to 10 men from 22nd minute) 

Drew/Lost away to Tier 2 Chelsea in Caribou 

Lost 1-0 away to a Tier 4 team (Luton) 

Lost 3-1 home to Tier 4 team (Forest). 

Losing 6 out of 7 winnable games. It’s been a while since we have had such a poor run of form. 

Absolutely gutting that, not just the result but it really feels like we've been derailed now, weak at the back, toothless up front and disorganised throughout the team. A week until our next game should give us time to get some decent rest and reset our tactics, work on passages of play and formations because at the moment we're all over the shop.

We took the lead and even looked likely to get another. They equalized from our attack. After that it was like the wheels falling off a clown car.

Chris Wood scoring three and even rounding the keeper is serious WTF territory. Our center halves should be ashamed of themselves.

Fuck whatever happens at Liverpool but we have to regroup before Wearyside. Play like this and they'll beat us too.

5 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

What's with the we got smashed theme? Pretty even game the one I watched, they just scored 2 more of their chances.

Hating the Trippier crosses, the percentage for how many times it reaches our player must be so low. Were brilliant at exploiting the right side and getting chances to cross, but they just seem close to pointless. Would love to see the actual numbers.

In my opinion, it may have been an 'even' game as you call it, but I definitely think Forest (the team who lost 4 of the last 5) seemed more dangerous than us when they broke and were attacking, we wouldn't have scored another in a month of Sundays! 

Edited by OoOGazOoO

That's pathetic [emoji38] Just grim.

Forest are a naff side. Chris Wood is one of the very worst forwards I've ever seen play for Newcastle. It's beyond parody he'd scor a hattrick.

I'm not sure I agree with the posts which say we need to shithouse more. If you need to shithouse more against Forest at home, I don't think you're where we want to be.

This is just the bill coming due for not managing the squad/fitness properly (which you can control/influence) and some unlucky injuries (which you don't control).

Painful, and hope Howe learns from it for next season. Need to put together a somewhat passable second half of the season to attract half decent players with something beyond money.

14 minutes ago, worthy said:

Difference between losing with pride and losing doing children’s football mistakes, not being able to do basic passing correctly. Not bother marking at all and just not giving a fuck

13 minutes ago, Bossman said:

Stop talking shit man.  Just for once.

I know man. As if when we lose with pride his sort aren't savaging the players and manager collectively and individually and instead praise the spirit and effort.*

*and most of the time we don't even have to lose or draw for that to happen

Edited by Wolfcastle

1 minute ago, duo said:

Words fail me - that second half is the worst performance I have seen since Eddie took charge. Miley is only one to come out with any credit.

That's what I thought. I thought isak did better than the rest but by no means fantastic 

It is like a horror championship manager save. Everything that can go wrong is going to. Striker we sold haunts us with a hat trick, i mean jesus christ..

At this rate Sunderland is going to batter us, and that could actually be the end of Eddie if the owners get itchy.

We are easy to play against, there is no energy, no drive, the same formation and players and with a bit of shithousing we are easily off from our game. Everything just the opposite of last season.

Hopefully it gets better soon.

Wheels have come off massively now.

6 losses in 7. Defensively all over the place. 

Clearly Livramento seemed fine when he came on, so to play Burn when you know they have pace down the flanks was suicide. 

Also Dubravka being glued to his line has been massively effecting our defense. Suddenly out lack of pace looks so much more obvious because he doesn't sweep behind. 

Tripps was again awful defensively. Every player who attacks him now is getting past at will. 

1 minute ago, alexf said:

Wheels have come off massively now.

6 losses in 7. Defensively all over the place. 

Clearly Livramento seemed fine when he came on, so to play Burn when you know they have pace down the flanks was suicide. 

Also Dubravka being glued to his line has been massively effecting our defense. Suddenly out lack of pace looks so much more obvious because he doesn't sweep behind. 

Tripps was again awful defensively. Every player who attacks him now is getting past at will. 

Agree regarding Burn, absolutely mind-boggling decision to play him given how Tino has performed and also taking into consideration Elanga and Gibbs-White were playing, crazy decision.

Did not see the second half go as it did. That was dissapointing.

Howe needs to take responsibility now and shelter Tripper for a while no matter what signal he think it would send. He has tried to show faith in him through his fall in form, now he needs to try something else to get him back to the level he had beginning of the season.

Not sure what we can do with the wing situation with Gordon & Almiron being our only available wingers and both having no energy to play our game. Maybe do a hail mary with Ritchie & Hall against Liverpool? :lol:

As soon as Joelinton is fully fit again I hope Miley keeps his spot in favor of Longstaff. Was promising that the latter went off today so fingers crossed that is the way Howe is leaning now.

4 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Felt like we were pretty in control for 35 minutes, bar a few breaks. We were finding loads of gaps behind them.

They equalise and it all changes.

Another game where we vastly underperform in the final third too.

IIRC they had about three clear chances on the break in the first 35 mins where they waltzed through us far too easily. We had more of the ball but the signs were there.

Edited by Jackie Broon

17 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

What's with the we got smashed theme? Pretty even game the one I watched, they just scored 2 more of their chances.

Hating the Trippier crosses, the percentage for how many times it reaches our player must be so low. Were brilliant at exploiting the right side and getting chances to cross, but they just seem close to pointless. Would love to see the actual numbers.

Do agree to some extent. Obviously it was a bad performance and it loses 7 or 8 times out of 10, regardless of the opponent, but it wasn't apocalyptically bad. Every bounce went Forest's way for a start; it's mad we couldn't force another one in, and the xG backs that up.

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

He'd cost a bomb but Morgan Gibbs White would be great for us behind Isak

Ran the show today I thought. Murillo looked good too second half

They've got some really talented players; even Wood isn't the Luuk de Jong lookalike many around these parts see him as.

Immediately looks a very sensible choice getting rid of Cooper despite the job he did.