Liverpool vs. Newcastle United: 1/1/24 @ 20:00 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

He is I'm sure thinking hard about what to do to get us out of the rut we are in.  We do have a distinct style of play which we very rarely vary from, intensity is very much our identity etc. Unfortunately when your players are injured or knackered this approach won't work as we are finding out. De Zerbi at Brighton is another manager with a very distinct inflexible style, playing out from the back at all costs, fantastic to watch when it works but painful when it doesn't. Managers need to be tactically flexible and inventive and most of all win games. Otherwise they lose their jobs.

57 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

Eddie definitely doesn't change formations and generally doesn't rotate never mind experiment. He appears after two years here to be tactically as inflexible as it gets. 

Played a back 5 at Anfield before.

Not saying its likely but he will have thought about it.

The scousers are usually very up for this game, even when we’ve been awful. It’s not like playing (no disrespect intended) Wolves or Fulham or even sides like West Ham. They take joy in beating us and we generally find a way to oblige.

5 hours ago, Stottie said:

The SJP game was flukey as anything, and I wouldn't dwell on those particular 90 minutes.

However Liverpool are the strongest team in the league in the second half. They've only conceded five second half goals in 19 games. They've scored 15 out of their 37 goals in the last 15 minutes.

https://www.soccerstats.com/timing.asp?league=england

We have conceded 7 in the last fifteen, nearly double any other 15 min period of games.

I don't think it was flukey, they might have had a lucky bounce for one of their goals, but they were down to ten men for the majority of the game and we couldn't put them away. Then they managed to find space with their ten men against our defence to get in one on one while many of our players were stranded at the other end of the pitch. We managed to concede not just one goal but two against them after they had a man sent off. It was badly managed IMO.

1 hour ago, STM said:

Played a back 5 at Anfield before.

Not saying its likely but he will have thought about it.

He was asked about that in his press conference. Something like "Are you considering playing five at the back and parking the bus", I am paraphrasing the question.

Eddie said something like "If it was as simple as parking the bus everyone would do it. You have to threaten during the match or you allow them to do as they want".

I know one can play 5 at the back and still push forward but somehow I doubt we see that but you never know.

16 minutes ago, McDog said:

He was asked about that in his press conference. Something like "Are you considering playing five at the back and parking the bus", I am paraphrasing the question.

Eddie said something like "If it was as simple as parking the bus everyone would do it. You have to threaten during the match or you allow them to do as they want".

I know one can play 5 at the back and still push forward but somehow I doubt we see that but you never know.

I don't think we need 5 at the back, but we need to nullify their threats in the same way opposition teams nullify ours. Salah has to be closed down for example. same way as we wouldn't expect Isak or Wilson to be left unattended.

Just now, TRon said:

I don't think we need 5 at the back, but we need to nullify their threats in the same way opposition teams nullify ours. Salah has to be closed down for example. same way as we wouldn't expect Isak or Wilson to be left unattended.

Right, it's a balance. Was interesting how Eddie said getting Big Joe on for a bit helped winning some balls in the midfield against Nottingham. He insinuated (to me at least) that wasn't happening until he came on. Bombing forward would be suicide but I agree with your point. You can cover the backline without having a back 5 and a DM on defense. Eddie's defensive results has been tremendous until recently so I hope he and the staff can get the game plan sorted.

7 minutes ago, Andy84 said:

Who other than Almiron starts right? 

That's the problem. Murphy, Barnes etc who can are out. Unless he's going Isak Wilson Gordon and giving up on the last 30 mins where they excel there's little option. Suppose trippier ahead of krath but that's dire pacewise

19 minutes ago, Andy84 said:

Who other than Almiron starts right? 

Tino could play there I'm guessing but Burn could get killed on the left and Eddie doesn't seem to trust Hall at LB.

It's tricky. I sure wish Barnes was here. Gordon can 100% play on the right.

I thought Liverpool's win at SJP was flukey because a very rare Botman mistake and a not-so-rare Bruno one were finished Thierry Henry style by the least clinical striker in the league. Versus other teams has 2 goals from nearly 9 xG, a litany of misses.

Liverpool with 10 men have a cheat code in the ol' hoof to Mo Salah, the best fast break threat going. He's fast as anything and strong enough to brush defenders off. I reckon he was the nail in the Cancelo coffin for Pep. 

I think an annoyed and frustrated Howe has finally had some thinking space and will have been working on what he’s doing as well as the players.  Everything we’ve seen from the bloke suggests this will be the case.

I’m still going for a shock win, because I am that daft, but whatever happens I think we’ll see a vastly improved performance. 

42 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I think an annoyed and frustrated Howe has finally had some thinking space and will have been working on what he’s doing as well as the players.  Everything we’ve seen from the bloke suggests this will be the case.

I’m still going for a shock win, because I am that daft, but whatever happens I think we’ll see a vastly improved performance. 

You may be daft but I like the way you think.

19 hours ago, PauloGeordio said:

We were the better side at Anfield last season, were beaten by 2 sucker punches and a red-card last season but played well, and we were in control against them for an hour when they had 11 and 10 men earlier this season. We shouldn't be scared of them but on the run we're on it'll be natural. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut