Liverpool vs. Newcastle United: 1/1/24 @ 20:00 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

10 hours ago, Mattoon said:

Can't call it, have we had enough rest to show up? We'll run out of steam again at some point, hopefully enough in the tank to prevent a mauling, enough luck and we may stop the rot with a draw.

If fatigue is the primary issue - no imo. 

You would need closer to 7-14 days to get back to 90 minutes of full intensity. 

10 hours ago, Mattoon said:

Can't call it, have we had enough rest to show up? We'll run out of steam again at some point, hopefully enough in the tank to prevent a mauling, enough luck and we may stop the rot with a draw.

It’s not just about the rest for me. It’s how Longstaff and Burn for example. Clearly look like they have been brought back to early and are not fully over their injuries. Botman looked equally as bad against Forest. Not sure 5-6 days suddenly helps them there. 

Then you have players that have been playing through injuries like Gordon and Isak. Who look like they can’t break into a sprint because of what’s ailing them. Again, are they suddenly going to have recovered and be close to 100%? 

Oh and Trippier is playing some of the worst football of his career. Clearly something not right physically and/or mentally. 

I do genuinely think it’ll be a hammering. I think their style is kryptonite for where we are at the minute. But hold out a bit more hope for when we play City and Villa.  

Football medicine studies from 10 years ago show that fatigue takes 48-72 hours to return to baseline levels. With the advancement of football medicine/training methods since then, fatigue shouldn't be an issue considering the gap between our last game will be 96-120 hours. The only issue we have as stated by posters above is players playing with injuries.