Players you were certain would be world class?

Mike

9 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Has anyone said Anelka? 

He was very, very good, but could have been one of the all-time greats.

Anelka is a great shout. Fired Arsenal to the Double when he was 18/19, looked incredible. 

Going to put Lukaku here too.

Another one who's clearly having a brilliant career, but there was a 1-2 year spell at Everton where I thought he'd be the one rather than Kane that'd go on to break Shearer's PL record.

I thought when he signed for Man Utd he'd kick on and score the sorts of figures Haaland is at City.

49 minutes ago, geordie_b said:

Wanted Anelka and Boa Morte and got Owen and Luque

At the time we got Luque, I'd have Luque over Boa Morte 10/10 times. His injury completely ruined him.

Not as the title says 'world class'

But, Ryan Sessegnon, I imagined he would have turned out to be a top fullback or winger, I remember him having a brilliant season for Fulham, scored like 15 goals and a fair few assists, got a move to Spurs where he's had a number of good coaches, assuming he'd go on to become a top player, seems it just didn't happen.

3 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Not as the title says 'world class'

But, Ryan Sessegnon, I imagined he would have turned out to be a top fullback or winger, I remember him having a brilliant season for Fulham, scored like 15 goals and a fair few assists, got a move to Spurs where he's had a number of good coaches, assuming he'd go on to become a top player, seems it just didn't happen.

Great shout that one. Ripped a Rafa team apart at 17-18.

Hoy Theo Walcott in here too.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

I remember a youth game at Newcastle, around 2000, between England and France. I think it was either the World Cup or Euros and Anthony Le Tallec was head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch. Was certain he would take over from Zidane in a few years.

He ended up at Liverpool and remember reading how Wenger was gutted he lost out. 

It would be interesting to find out who who else was playing in that match looking back. 

4 minutes ago, macphisto said:

I remember a youth game at Newcastle, around 2000, between England and France. I think it was either the World Cup or Euros and Anthony Le Tallec was head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch. Was certain he would take over from Zidane in a few years.

He ended up at Liverpool and remember reading how Wenger was gutted he lost out. 

It would be interesting to find out who who else was playing in that match looking back. 

Didn't they get him in a double swoop with Bruno Cheryou (?) who was also considered a generational French talent?

I haven't read the whole thread so maybe someone said this and also I was a novice at football at the time but Freddie Adu. Could have been all the American hype of a very young player.

1 hour ago, Conjo said:

Didn't they get him in a double swoop with Bruno Cheryou (?) who was also considered a generational French talent?

Don't think so, it would have been around that time though, but I think it was Pongolle, a forward, who signed at the same time for Liverpool. He was up front for France at the game I was at too. 

Just having a look and it was the Under-16 Euros. Interesting to look at the squads of the major countries as not many of them made it, exception would be Spain as they had Torres and Iniesta. 

Edited by macphisto