Liverpool 4-2 Newcastle United (01/01/2024)

BlueStar

Longstaff penalty shout wasn't even looked at, and it was more a penalty than theirs. Yet again refereeing and Var were way below the level they should be. Howard Webb is fucking useless, ffs get someone capable in charge of the whole lot, they won't mind.

Edited by Bimpy474

5 minutes ago, Wilson said:

The people at the top obviously thought the window and managers decisions so far have been sufficient, or something would have changed.  He asked you what you think. 

Easy to call them out, but throw your opinions out there to back it up. 

Personally this is why I don't air my thoughts too much as I'm largely proved wrong. :lol:

Wrong signings made, wrong tactics away from home and players out of form getting a game. I actually think I answered it, but I'm not the person the questions should be asked to, which was the point I made. 

Just now, Aiston said:

Longstaff was just diving like he usually does, not a pen that.

There's a touch on his leg, so if you judge theirs are pens, so was that.

Just now, et tu brute said:

Wrong signings made, wrong tactics away from home and players out of form getting a game. I actually think I answered it, but I'm not the person the questions should be asked to, which was the point I made. 

The Hall one is fair enough and I do think we should have got another forward type in. But how can you judge Tonali and Barnes and legislate for them

missing all these games? Bit early to call them the ‘wrong’ signings IMO. We tried for Maddison and Szobslai by all accounts. Either would have been perfect. Maddison would have fitted in well in the treatment room. 

Not really many options to replace out of form/half fit players and based on the last 3-4 games. There are too many to

replace, anyway :lol: 

8 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

You're being asked, it's just a forum mate, not a job interview. :lol:

I answered it well enough I thought, signings overall and tactics away from home. It's not for me to answer what would I do differently, as I can do fuck all about it anyway ;D 

Just now, et tu brute said:

I answered it well enough I thought, signings overall and tactics away from home. It's not for me to answer what would I do differently, as I can do fuck all about it anyway ;D 

The point is though, if it's obvious what could be done differently, it doesn't take being in Howe's position to see it.

Dunno what to say about the signings really, only 20% of them have been available so I'm not sure how that can be put on the recruitment team.

There’s this weird disconnect where we have pace up front, and then right through the middle, Bruno,Longstaff, Botman,Schar have no real acceleration, so we get absolutely pounded on counters. The midfield to me is horrible. We’ve lost any semblance of control in there, gaps everywhere and when we get turned no one is quick enough to get back. I’d kill for an athletic DM. Someone who can really run and dominate 

Just now, Cronky said:

Not much to complain about. They simply had better players, all over the pitch. 

..and the ref in the pocket

4 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Fair enough, 'ask the people at the charge' just sounds like a kop pit to me, as they done what they thought was right and within their means.  They didn't purposefully make mistakes, so if you're saying it was wrong, say what they should have done. 

If I've missed your answer previously apologies.. I joined the convo late. 

Just now, Cronky said:

Not much to complain about. They simply had better players, all over the pitch. 

Yep, the gulf really showed when they looked to their bench to change the game.

1 minute ago, duo said:

..and the ref in the pocket

I actually didn't have too much issue until their 2nd pen.  I was baffled at Big Joe not being on at least 2nd yellow :lol:

Swings and roundabouts.

1 minute ago, Lush Vlad said:

The Hall one is fair enough and I do think we should have got another forward type in. But how can you judge Tonali and Barnes and legislate for them

missing all these games? Bit early to call them the ‘wrong’ signings IMO. We tried for Maddison and Szobslai by all accounts. Either would have been perfect. Maddison would have fitted in well in the treatment room. 

Not really many options to replace out of form/half fit players and based on the last 3-4 games. There are too many to

replace, anyway :lol: 

For Barnes we needed a right winger not a back up left winger. Tonali was the only legitimate first team player signed. I can't comment on what was known about his gambling, but the Italian FA obviously were made aware I've mentioned a few times that you improve your first team line up first, which automatically results in squad improvement. 

looks like VAR having been waiting for a "safe" game where nothings at stake for the other team to give liverpool back the points they stole off them against spurs.

stone wall penalty for when longstaff gets taken out.

and then they forgot the rule for contact in the box being allowed unless its enough to impede the attacker.

absolutely disgusting.

20 minutes ago, Bintang said:

I think Howe has done an amazing job, but that was awful. We looked like a bottom half of the league team playing against a top team. The gulf between us and them was huge. He has a lot of work to do and we need better quality in the squad. Playing above and beyond ourselves has ran it's course. 

We will be a bottom half of the league team by the end of January.

6 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

There’s this weird disconnect where we have pace up front, and then right through the middle, Bruno,Longstaff, Botman,Schar have no real acceleration, so we get absolutely pounded on counters. The midfield to me is horrible. We’ve lost any semblance of control in there, gaps everywhere and when we get turned no one is quick enough to get back. I’d kill for an athletic DM. Someone who can really run and dominate 

Bruno plays that playmaker position but a lot of the time when the other team attacks he’s the furthest player up the pitch. Would prefer Bruno in Longstaffs position and like you say bring in an athletic CDM.

4 minutes ago, Wilson said:

Fair enough, 'ask the people at the charge' just sounds like a kop pit to me, as they done what they thought was right and within their means.  They didn't purposefully make mistakes, so if you're saying it was wrong, say what they should have done. 

If I've missed your answer previously apologies.. I joined the convo late. 

No cop out I've stated in my reply where I think it's going wrong. I can't change that though, only the people in charge can. Nobody has said they're doing it on purpose either, but mistakes are being made. 

1 minute ago, Joe1984 said:

We will be a bottom half of the league team by the end of January.

And a top half one by the end of February.  We are not a top 4 team yet, we need a few seasons to build a squad and for me Eddie Howe is the man to oversee that.  We finished fourth last season and he saved us from what looked like a certain relegation the season before.  I understand people being upset about our recent form  but we are still .oving in the right direction in the medium term

Just now, Myleftboot said:

Bruno plays that playmaker position but a lot of the time when the other team attacks he’s the furthest player up the pitch. Would prefer Bruno in Longstaffs position and like you say bring in an athletic CDM.

It was painful watching him and burn try to run back. We lack a lot of athleticism defensively. Burn/Botman/Schar is a very one paced defence. He could try him in a two like Brazil do presumably to compensate for his speed. I don’t know. The midfield is a total mess to me.

We had a corner and within like 3 passes they were in our box. We leave way too much space in the midfield. 

10 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

The point is though, if it's obvious what could be done differently, it doesn't take being in Howe's position to see it.

Dunno what to say about the signings really, only 20% of them have been available so I'm not sure how that can be put on the recruitment team.

It's only Howe who can change it though, I can't and nor can anyone else on this forum. Its only opinions we can make, means fuck all in the grand scheme of things though.

80% of those players then are squad players, as only Tonali was what I would call a first team regular. You improve your first team first and then automatically the squad will improve.