Newcastle United 2-3 Manchester City (13/01/23)

Yorkie

Just now, Menace said:

Their subs changed the game - something we're not capable of and people are mad. This is nuts :lol: 

So thats it? It is just that better players are better players and there is nothing you can do about it? Surely there is more in football that can be discussed? 

65 minutes, Wilson for Isak, Barnes for Gordon, Willock for Miley.  75 minutes, Tino for Burn, Murphy for Miggy. And not to ignore that Joel would start instead of Miley.

I don't think we lose, if we can make changes like that. I just don't understand how the more pessimistic leaners are choosing to just ignore that.

Obviously this kind of thing can happen against a team like City. I understand some of the frustration at the second half performance though, the issue is that it's a continuation of what we've done all season - get into a good position then just try to to dig in, and ultimately fail to hold on. Our ball retention is seriously poor, it's no wonder we're knackered when we're constantly chasing the ball and being moved across the pitch.

We need to pull something out of the hat this month in the transfer market, even if it's a couple of loans. We are absolutely desperate for a midfielder who can actually plug gaps on transition and has a bit composure on the ball. 

10 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

Howay man, you know the score?  There always must be a scapegoat.

Pope in goal and we probably win that.  Just obvious really.

Villa Park next ffs

also why is it every season we end up playing against Liverpool and and City back to back, twice?

pretty sure it's happened the last 3 seasons

nightmare fixturs for these difficult runs 

Edited by Ginola14

Thank you to the voices of reason in here who seem to understand who we are, where we've come from and what we were up against today. 

Full behind Eddie and these lads. It might get worse before it gets better, but it will get better.

2 minutes ago, Rod said:

Trippier totally inept marking for the third goal.  Just tell it how it is and don't protect him so much.  The bloke would admit it was his fault so don't talk crap.

It was a superb pass and run. Not all goals are about how bad defenders or keepers are.

1 minute ago, Bimpy474 said:

65 minutes, Wilson for Isak, Barnes for Gordon, Willock for Miley.  75 minutes, Tino for Burn, Murphy for Miggy. And not to ignore that Joel would start instead of Miley.

I don't think we lose, if we can make changes like that. I just don't understand how the more pessimistic leaners are choosing to just ignore that.

Its common sense and a matter of time, let this period pass as I believe when things pick up again it'll be all the sweeter to shut down anyone who has talked rubbish from our own fanbase or from other clubs.

3 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

The more I watch us the more I think we need upgrades/reinforcements in just about every single position if we want to be a top 4 side

We do. Where we have our best players, we have no backup, RB aside.

Just now, Tiresias said:

Dubs was not to blame though lol. Joelinton in the team arguably we win that

I don't even know how we managed to be in with a chance of a result with that midfield to be honest.

Longstaff was struggling mightily and Miley is so inexperienced.

agree With those saying that with pretty much any 2 of the 7 missing forward players I think they get something.

Question is whether people think the team can realistically switch to a different less energy sapping style of play mid way through the season.

up until now there’s been a game every 3 days, not a lot of time to change coaching, and can the players brought in even do it?

on the other hand if the current approach keeps losing matches how long can you stick with it?

Im in the stick rather than twist camp, but its tricky.

They can’t change a style of play at halftime against Man City though, remember when spurs tried a new style of play at St James and were something like 4 down in 20 mins

22 minutes ago, STM said:

Aye, that's what we did. :lol:

The lads where dead on their feet. 

They werent dead at their feet at 50, 60, or 65 min. It was the same the whole half. from 50-90.

1 minute ago, Rod said:

Dubravka made numerous game saving saves today. He also played out from the back better than Pope, but that will go unnoticed.

Dubravka is our number 2. I'm pretty fucking pleased our number 2 is actually half decent.:lol:

1 minute ago, Rod said:

I’m usually down on Dubs and a massive Pope fan, so biased. But not having that. 

The last goal Trippier should do better and yes, maybe Pope having a longer leg gets the ball. But it’s still outrageous from KDB to pick it out and the feet from

Bobb…. World class. 

Pope might have gone early on one of the shots or not got down to Rodri’s one. 

He wasn’t available, regardless. It’s like they’re probably saying they score 5-6 if Haaland was playing. 

2 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

Dubs was not to blame though lol. Joelinton in the team arguably we win that

Joelinton not to blame though.  Pope in goal and we arguably win that.

1 minute ago, Amir_9 said:

Its common sense and a matter of time, let this period pass as I believe when things pick up again it'll be all the sweeter to shut down anyone who has talked rubbish from our own fanbase or from other clubs.

Yeah. We have some tough fixtures but once we get players back we will get going again, hopefully that will mean a European spot. If not then we have to treat it like Spurs have done, and use it to our advantage.

That win against Sunderland seems to have given the lads a bit of confidence back. Hopefully a couple of weeks off now and they will be more refreshed.

1 minute ago, STM said:

Dubravka made numerous game saving saves today. He also played out from the back better than Pope, but that will go unnoticed.

Dubravka is our number 2. I'm pretty fucking pleased our number 2 is actually half decent.:lol:

Pope in goal and we probably win.  The super saves he made, Pope would have caught and started a counter attack.

1 minute ago, nufc123 said:

They werent dead at their feet at 50, 60, or 65 min. It was the same the whole half. from 50-90.

Aye we conceded in the 70th minute or something. They were knackered. We had no subs. It's not hard to grasp.

Why not send Eddie an email about what you would have done differently.