'I can't believe they've made it': overrated players

toon25

Phil Jones.

Played most of his games as an extra goalkeeper, just couldn't use his hands. The absolute opposite to good defenders, who are rarely caught out of position, therefore don't have to dive in all over the place. 

Didn't Ferguson rate him as a future superstar? Must have been on the whisky that day.

16 minutes ago, bigfella said:

Phil Jones.

Played most of his games as an extra goalkeeper, just couldn't use his hands. The absolute opposite to good defenders, who are rarely caught out of position, therefore don't have to dive in all over the place. 

Didn't Ferguson rate him as a future superstar? Must have been on the whisky that day.

Next Duncan Edwards he said :lol:

34 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

Jordan Ibe, wild he got PL minutes. A really good athlete, but he’s at ebbsfleet right now and is only 28

Huge mental health issues held him back though right?

1 hour ago, Thumbheed said:

Shola Ameobi - a striker who played at the highest level and managed 53 league goals in 312 appearances. 

Wasn't quick, didn't have great technique, wasn't a clinical finisher, couldn't dribble, wasn't particularly strong or have good links up play, wasn't good in the air, not skillful - no discernable quality which warranted the career he had.

I can't explain this career at all. 

I think I can, and it started with playing through that serious hip injury which ruined the mobility he did have. He never would’ve been a world beater, but I think it robbed him of the career he could’ve had. Go back and watch the young Shola playing alongside Shearer, he has something about him. It was that desire to seize his chance post Alan's injury and cement his place, that ironically robbed him of the opportunity to do just that.

28 minutes ago, bigfella said:

Phil Jones.

Probably get pelters for this, but I think this describes Carragher for me too, only he did continually get away with using his hands in the days before VAR

16 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Huge mental health issues held him back though right?

Not sure, hadn’t read anything about that but would make sense. His career has dropped off a cliff. Could say the same about Matty Longstaff tbf, no club and he’s like 24. Really weird 

3 hours ago, La Parka said:

Chamakh - what even was he? A joke he got a move to palace

Sanogo - arsenal obviously played football manager

Salif Diallo - shows the danger of buying after a world cup

Amdy Faye - An absolute turd footballer

Tonev - Dunno what he did after but he was highly rated and produced fuck all.

Ahmed Musa - signed by Leicester because? For a then record signing and was useless

Mikoun - Villa must have been playing football manager.

Cornelius - Was certainly a unit, but monumentally shit

Leacock - Bit harsh but he was a member of that derby side and an absolute liability

Gilberto - Spurs in their less able days. Absolute nothing player. 

Corrado Grabbi - Blackburns shearer replacement was beyond shit 

Mitrioglu - (Fulham) Highly rated , produced nothing.

Van Wolfswinkel - Another football manager hype train failure 

Loads more like Tosun, Gibson, cleverly, mellor 

Lots of these are strikers. Guess it's more obvious if you fail there. 

Top, top list

1 hour ago, bigfella said:

Phil Jones.

Did it end in "y"? 

2 hours ago, Thumbheed said:

Shola Ameobi - a striker who played at the highest level and managed 53 league goals in 312 appearances. 

Wasn't quick, didn't have great technique, wasn't a clinical finisher, couldn't dribble, wasn't particularly strong or have good links up play, wasn't good in the air, not skillful - no discernable quality which warranted the career he had.

I can't explain this career at all. 

We have a winner :lock: