Fulham 0-2 Newcastle United (FA Cup) - 27/01/24

BlueStar

Edit: wrong thread.

A lot of our better players looked a bit off the pace tonight. That combined with a lack of confidence resulted in a disjointed display.

The biggest concern for me was that gap between midfield and defence started to open up as we got leggy late on. It'd be a nice luxury to have a defensive  mid to come on and shut up shop in that scenario.

Still plenty of positives though. A win on the road and a clean sheet should give us a much needed confidence boost. We didn't look as fatigued. Plus Trippier looked a lot sharper including set piece delivery. Good to see Murphy back too.

Edited by The Prophet

10 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

They only showed the replay once here and no mention of a VAR check or anything. I was kind of wondering why everyone was still just standing around. 

Ah, must be a different commentsry in different regions - the check was mentioned briefly (though they didn’t show the check).  They didn’t show the VAR check and only showed the replay a couple of times.  Sounds like the UK commentators wouldn’t stop banging on about it

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Ah, must be a different commentsry in different regions - the check was mentioned briefly (though they didn’t show the check).  They didn’t show the VAR check and only showed the replay a couple of times.  Sounds like the UK commentators wouldn’t stop banging on about it

The VAR check was really quick TBF. 

Brilliant away end to be in. Next to no stewarding or segregation between the allocation and the other bit of the Putney End meant a lot of NUFC fans who couldn’t get away tickets ended up either jibbing into the NUFC portion or were just crossing the aisles. Hoping it’s like that again in April.

34 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Edit: wrong thread.

A lot of our better players looked a bit off the pace tonight. That combined with a lack of confidence resulted in a disjointed display.

The biggest concern for me was that gap between midfield and defence started to open up as we got leggy late on. It'd be a nice luxury to have a defensive  mid to come on and shut up shop in that scenario.

Still plenty of positives though. A win on the road and a clean sheet should give us a much needed confidence boost. We didn't look as fatigued. Plus Trippier looked a lot sharper including set piece delivery. Good to see Murphy back too.

plus it was something of a stroll about overall. Don't think that anyone came out of that one absolutely done.

Pretty dull match but a good result. I thought we looked pretty lethargic to be honest. I expect Villa to run riot against us if we turn up like that - let's hope we don't.

Thought it was a perculiar and poor performance from us pretty much until the game was so late Fulham knew they couldn’t get back in it. Then we had a bit more space and time in midfield. 
If we’ve been working on the training ground it didn’t show. Was like a flukey Pardew result tbh. When where you know the score line looks good but the general play was predicated on the opposition fluffing their lines. 

Also, what is it with EH and substitutions? 
If you don’t rotate, even for 15/20 mins here and there then players will never have any match sharpness at all. If they don’t then you’re always forced to start the same 11 pretty much. Result: injuries/fatigue.

Murphy off after 70 for Tino was perhaps 10 minutes late. 

After that, what subs would you have liked him to make with the state of that bench and With the score only being 2-0?

Hall doesn’t count, as we know he is only allowed to play 5 minutes a game at most :lol: 

Hall does count.

Alex Murphy could’ve got a run. He’s looked decent. Tino or Krafts should have been on for Trips earlier. Why risk it? Now he’s got a niggle. I mean wtf?

A win in the Saudi green strip! Great finish from Longy, a part of his game he struggles with.

A probably deserved MotM for Burn, a fine example of him getting the job done without perhaps looking all that convincing while doing so.

I watched the first half on ESPN and the second on ITV. ESPN's co-comm was Danny Higgenbotham, who made at least half a dozen accurate observations about our season. His opener was "they've been struggling defensively as Dubravka won't leave his area, causing the defensive to fall back and creating far more space for their midfield to try and cover". I was stunned. It was like "this guy actually watches us play". A dodgy river sent me over to ITV for the second half, which was just the bitter uninformed ramblings of Lee Dixon.   

Yeah I Thought Dubs not coming caused a few uncertainties tonight, was one where he came and stopped that nearly created a chance for them out of a nothing cross. Still seems like they're still not used to each other. Was Botman on at least one occasion so maybe still is the case.

Whilst Dixon raved about a cross then on replay said there was nobody near it. 

Could be the case with a regular cross but a set play cross that is nowhere near anybody is not good in old money.

Edited by Jonas

4 hours ago, Stottie said:

I watched the first half on ESPN and the second on ITV. ESPN's co-comm was Danny Higgenbotham, who made at least half a dozen accurate observations about our season. His opener was "they've been struggling defensively as Dubravka won't leave his area, causing the defensive to fall back and creating far more space for their midfield to try and cover". I was stunned. It was like "this guy actually watches us play".

He's often in the studio at NBC here in the US. Always seems the most balanced and well researched. 

Last night was a reminder why I've watched so many games recently with the commentary off.

Lee Dixon is a horrible putrid character, he's with the Dennis wises of the game for me. 

I remember being at SJP and seeing ginola take the piss out the pasty fuck (2-0) and from then the following game away to arsenal (after beating Liverpool away - the draw has always been kind to us! ) he was basically allowed to commit GBH on ginola thanks to the absolute inept performance of Mr Ashby (RIP), tackles that made havertz against longstaff look gentle. To top it off our brilliant french genius reacted after the 100th tackle and the cunt went down like he was on Omagh beach. Red card and game over. 

Since retirement the media seemed quick to snap him up despite having little personality. I'm no England fan but plenty of times they led with an arsenal fan presenter, with Wright and Dixon as the pundits, how the fuck is that meant to represent the national geographic?? Just shows how biased the media can be, like when we stuffed manure last year and they had scholes, Hargreaves and cole giving analysis. 

Think next time it's radio Newcastle with the sound off on the telly. 

Well done the lads, Great result. 

We won, into the draw, job done

Away end was good. Singing never stopped. Shearer managed to stay incognito for longer than you’d expect  

Special mention to the woman in our end who was sat down scrolling through social media on her phone for most of the game. U OK hun ?

I must admit, listening to the commentary did make me feel that we had few friends out there, in reality.

That's particularly in relation to the way the alleged handball was dealt with, but what persistently riles me is the way these guys are often vague about the rules. They are paid to inform us, and it's not asking too much to expect them to be accurate with the laws and their current interpretation. Instead, way too often, they flounder.

“Clive, how the fuck are we going to talk ourselves out of that handball shite we waffled about”

”Talk about European rules Lee. That might cover it all up”

”But this is the FA cup?”

”Well I’m bringing up European rules and you’ll agree with me. I do this job for a fucking living”