Sporting Director / Director of Football

r0cafella

Just now, Magpie said:

I think Freedman stays there to be honest, he's Palace through and through. 

He got burned at Bolton too so might be frightened to go outside the comfort zone.

6 hours ago, MagMal said:

If Freeman wants to stay at Palace then so be it, it is his decision could be family, could be lack of confidence etc, whatever it is his call, but for me without been all billy big balls club about it, it shows a lack of ambition and therefore would he be the right person for the job?.

Underestimating his connection to Palace Mr Big Balls ?

this stint as DoF is simply what has made him sexy outside Selhurst. Not an unbroken spell but he’s been here since 1995 in various guises for approx 20 years. Club icon and that’s a two way street.

This is his team as much as anyone’s and could be he reckons Henderson/Johnstone, Guehi, Andersen, Richard’s, Munoz, Doucoure, Wharton, Olise, Eze and Mateta have potential. 

Maybe only of course. Doubt any would break into a top 7 side. Very unambitious to stay put and avoid the money move and trust in what he has built. 

probably just waiting for the other United to up their offer - surely he couldn’t turn down them too. No one is that loyal. 

4 minutes ago, Palace fan said:

this stint as DoF is simply what has made him sexy outside Selhurst. Not an unbroken spell but he’s been here since 1995 in various guises for approx 20 years. Club icon and that’s a two way street.

This is his team as much as anyone’s and could be he reckons Henderson/Johnstone, Guehi, Andersen, Richard’s, Munoz, Doucoure, Wharton, Olise, Eze and Mateta have potential. 

Maybe only of course. Doubt any would break into a top 7 side. Very unambitious to stay put and avoid the money move and trust in what he has built. 

probably just waiting for the other United to up their offer - surely he couldn’t turn down them too. No one is that loyal. 

Think I’d take 90% of the players you’d listed above to strengthen our squad and certainly over last few games i’d say at least 5 would have been regular starters for us.

To be fair he’s probably got a lot more clout on transfers staying where he is if you’re crediting him for bringing that lot in, no way he has that much influence here in my opinion.

Palace have been outstanding recently and looks like they've found a system that really suits their players. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he thought, 'you know what, maybe I'll just stick around and see if this squad I've helped build can really go somewhere.'

On the other hand, perhaps because of the above, his stock's particularly high at the moment and it might be a great time for him to get a new job.

At the very least he's probably given himself the leverage to negotiate his own private toilet from Parish, and who wouldn't want that?

Well played Dougie, well played.

19 minutes ago, Palace fan said:

I get where you are coming from and if being at Palace is everything he wants in life then good luck to him, but if he is ambitious and wants to see how far he can go in his career then we are the perfect place for his next step. Yes there are bigger clubs than us but with respect to Palace our potential now we have owners who are prepared to invest is massive, if we still had Ashley then no argument stay where you are!.

I suppose it all comes down to if he wants to see how far he can go but we all hark back to the days of players been loyal to clubs so maybe he is just that kind of guy.

Could understand if he wanted to see how things play out at Palace another year since they've gotten a progressive manager, as well as his longevity and loyalty to the club. You'd like to think if they'd kept on with sweet old Turgid Roy and limped to 15th place with a succession of 0-0s it might be an easier decision for him. But, given the way Glasner has got a tune out of Mateta who looked genuinely like one of the worst PL forwards I'd seen in a while to play the amount of games that he has & the potential of Wharton, Munoz, Guehi, Olise, Eze et al he might think it's worth sticking.

Suppose it also depends on what room Palace have to spend this summer and how much of that side will need to be sold if they get offers in.

All that said, the building blocks of that Palace side surely go on his CV and are associated with him anyway even if he jacks it this summer. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

If we really want him then I'm sure PIF could offer him two private toilets. Or even a toilet and a urinal for extra efficiency. He's a hard worker by all accounts one account I read, so that might really appeal to him and show that we're suitably ambitious.

Forgot to add, Hope was saying they’re splitting Ashworth’s role, Director of football focussing mainly on recruitment and then someone heading up performance or something like that, two separate roles anyway rather than one person doing everything.

On 21/05/2024 at 14:32, ExiledGeordie said:

Craig Hope was pretty comprehensive saying at the true faith talk in last night that Freedman was going to come and that it’ll finally move close next 7-10 days. 

It is a coup of sorts if we pull it off.  Freedman seems to have been at Palace forever, occasionally ducking out before returning.  He must have joined and re-joined four or five times.

On 20/05/2024 at 18:05, Pilko said:

Could understand if he wanted to see how things play out at Palace another year since they've gotten a progressive manager, as well as his longevity and loyalty to the club. You'd like to think if they'd kept on with sweet old Turgid Roy and limped to 15th place with a succession of 0-0s it might be an easier decision for him. But, given the way Glasner has got a tune out of Mateta who looked genuinely like one of the worst PL forwards I'd seen in a while to play the amount of games that he has & the potential of Wharton, Munoz, Guehi, Olise, Eze et al he might think it's worth sticking.

Suppose it also depends on what room Palace have to spend this summer and how much of that side will need to be sold if they get offers in.

All that said, the building blocks of that Palace side surely go on his CV and are associated with him anyway even if he jacks it this summer. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Palace will only ever reach a certain point, and that may well be a very good league position (given the way the team are now playing) or a cup win.  However, they will never, IMO, have the potential we have.  

This is a massive project and whilst he might have a lot of loyalty to Palace, which is completely understandable, he might well look at this project and think it is too big to turn down.

He might to a Shearer and stick with his club, and I would respect that but lets see.  From a recruitment perspective, he would clearly be a very good addition to the team. 

21 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Freedman is a Scotsman too isn't he? Wonder if that plays into things as well.

So location does play a role in what club someone decides to move to? 

5 minutes ago, Chapo said:

So location does play a role in what club someone decides to move to? 

If they want to move closer to where they're from, sure. 

5 minutes ago, lovejoy said:

Freedman lives in Manchester, has done for years, didn't relocate his family for the palace job and won't do so for ours.

Ah, interesting. Didn't realise this  :thup:

23 minutes ago, lovejoy said:

Freedman lives in Manchester, has done for years, didn't relocate his family for the palace job and won't do so for ours.

Worrying