Sporting Director / Director of Football

r0cafella

16 hours ago, Jack27 said:

Looks like he isn't our guy

Neither is Michael Edwards but no doubt we'll keep getting linked with him relentlessly.

On 20/02/2024 at 08:24, r0cafella said:

Aye, won’t be throwing toys will just be bitterly disappointed and it will give another clear indication (to me at least) just how much power Eddie holds. (Before I get ripped in to I’m a massive fan and I’m fully behind him). 

To me, it’s absolutely crucial the sporting director is a long term appointment as he’s the continuity guy, his job is to basically stop you becoming current day man united. 

I don’t see anything in Richard Hughes record or his signings which scream to me, he’s the man for the job, that being said if we do go for him boy do I hope he proves me wrong. 

Looks like he’s going to be Liverpool’s new sporting director. 

3 hours ago, lovejoy said:

Looks like he’s going to be Liverpool’s new sporting director. 

Good stuff, to me it’s important the manager and sporting director have a clear dividing line; ultimately if a hard decision needs to be made it would his job to do it. Although our owners are very hands on so who knows :lol:

32 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

The Edwards-Klopp situation seems a bit strange. He's miraculously interested in being a DoF again now that Klopp's said he's moving on? 

Yeah seems odd doesn’t it?

A few years ago FSG let Lebron buy an equity stake with an eye towards winning the future NBA franchise that will probably be in Las Vega.  A month or so ago they brought Theo Epstein back in with an equity stake to play some undefined role possibly assisting with baseball ops.  They didn't need Lebron or Theo's money, they wanted their name or expertise.  My guess is that this could be the same with Edwards.

6 hours ago, r0cafella said:

Good stuff, to me it’s important the manager and sporting director have a clear dividing line; ultimately if a hard decision needs to be made it would his job to do it. Although our owners are very hands on so who knows :lol:

I don't think a clear dividing line is possible. In practice, both parties have to come to an agreement or a signing can't go through. The manager / head coach is the most important component in a football club, and there's no point in signing a player that they don't want.

On the other hand, most Premiership managers have a short shelf-life - the average is two years. I can see the point of a Director of Football, but I'd question how well it often works in practice.

Of course, if you have a very good manager who is hard-working, committed to a long-term stay and who isn't looking for the next opportunity to move somewhere bigger, then there isn't a problem. You can give that guy a bit of power. I think we're in that privileged position.

Edited by Cronky

The big clubs want a manager with a big reputation. And then who's going to tell a Klopp or a Guardiola that this player is going to be signed or sold whether they like it or not?

The bigger problem is the lack of patience for long-term growth, brought about by the big income gaps between the CL clubs and the other Premiership clubs, and between the Premiership and the Championship. It's like one poor season and your job's in jeopardy. 

We saw that a bit with Eddie. Bottom of the league to the Champions League in 18 months. We then fall to mid-table (for a variety of reasons) and the media start saying we're after Nagelsmann. I have faith that the powers behind the scenes will continue to back Eddie, but it just shows you the atmosphere in which clubs now tend to operate.

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

The big clubs want a manager with a big reputation. And then who's going to tell a Klopp or a Guardiola that this player is going to be signed or sold whether they like it or not?

The bigger problem is the lack of patience for long-term growth, brought about by the big income gaps between the CL clubs and the other Premiership clubs, and between the Premiership and the Championship. It's like one poor season and your job's in jeopardy. 

We saw that a bit with Eddie. Bottom of the league to the Champions League in 18 months. We then fall to mid-table (for a variety of reasons) and the media start saying we're after Nagelsmann. I have faith that the powers behind the scenes will continue to back Eddie, but it just shows you the atmosphere in which clubs now tend to operate.

Agree....patience without success runs to about 3 years at most. EH would have been more secure by having this season last year and last season next. He's shown that he can deliver Champions League so anything less will rightly or wrongly be seen as under performing. No doubt he's built a lot of goodwill, but given current state of things, that will run out in a shorter space of time than it took to build. He should stay, but without a serious Champions League push next year its not unrealistic that he should be expecting to be moved on. Really does depend on PIFs plans for us....don't care what anyone claims there's not one of us that knows exactly what they are

17 hours ago, gjohnson said:

Agree....patience without success runs to about 3 years at most. EH would have been more secure by having this season last year and last season next. He's shown that he can deliver Champions League so anything less will rightly or wrongly be seen as under performing. No doubt he's built a lot of goodwill, but given current state of things, that will run out in a shorter space of time than it took to build. He should stay, but without a serious Champions League push next year its not unrealistic that he should be expecting to be moved on. Really does depend on PIFs plans for us....don't care what anyone claims there's not one of us that knows exactly what they are

We'll have to see, as you say, but I think Amanda sold the idea to the PIF as a long-term investment, rather than an opportunity for a quick dash for glory. Apart from anything else, FFP makes it impossible to repeat an Abramovich or a Sheik Mansour anyway. So I'm hopeful that the owners will be patient and accept some bumps on the way.

It also seems that the day to day running of the club is in the hands of Amanda and Co, and that the Saudis are overseers rather than hands-on. Again, I take that as encouraging in the long-term.

Finally, I quite like Yasir. He doesn't come across as a remote or arrogant figure. I think he's enjoying the ride and has made decent relationships with those running things. The early indications have been good, as far as I can see.

21 hours ago, gjohnson said:

Yes you are right no one knows exactly what their plans are and even then their plans will of probably been revised with rule changes but they spent £1 billion plus £300 million to buy us after a 2 year campaign/fight so think its safe to say they are here for a long while yet. I think they have much greater patience then many give them credit for.

Aye, I don’t normally go in for much in the way of speculation, however, you don’t spend four years to buy a club, invest a ton and then get out without seeing it develop. They won’t want their egos burnt by a failure as this is one of their biggest projects internationally (given the scope of football and the premier league). I’m just going to sit back and relax either way as I don’t like KSA so whatever happens is fine with me. We’ll be just fine 

On 10/03/2024 at 15:10, Cronky said:

Finally, I quite like Yasir. He doesn't come across as a remote or arrogant figure. I think he's enjoying the ride and has made decent relationships with those running things. The early indications have been good, as far as I can see.

Yasir has wowed by the support and has been in from Day 1. Big question remains if PIF will continue to be interested in project if Yasir is replaced for whatever reasons. Successor may have own pet project

8 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Yasir has wowed by the support and has been in from Day 1. Big question remains if PIF will continue to be interested in project if Yasir is replaced for whatever reasons. Successor may have own pet project

All if’s, if my aunty had a knob she’d be my uncle!

1 hour ago, FloydianMag said:

All if’s, if my aunty had a knob she’d be my uncle!

Shush man, don't go bringing a contentious general chat thread into this side.

Tiago Pinto

If a big club like Newcastle asks to speak to you, of course you’re interested." 

"I know the Club’s story very well because Sir Bobby Robson was a big personality in Portugal and we associated him with Newcastle. I followed the club because of that passion." 

"The work the new ownership has done has been very impressive – with a clever strategy they’ve come from a relegation fight to the Champions League so there’s huge potential at Newcastle." 

"I don’t know if the interest is true or not but who would say no to a project like that?"