Sporting Director / Director of Football

r0cafella

14 hours ago, r0cafella said:

I thought @Dr.Spaceman Was doing a tbg with that post so ignored. 

If it’s serious opinion then :anguish:

Why though? What do you know about the other candidates that makes them sound a better proposition than someone like Ross? I'm not sure how we'd ever know the answer to that.

4 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Why though? What do you know about the other candidates that makes them sound a better proposition than someone like Ross? I'm not sure how we'd ever know the answer to that.

I think it's funny you've been swayed by a 4 paragraph puff piece, but you are basically right about this. Almost none of us have a clue who would actually be good for this role. We don't even really know what the role is, given DOFs are are still an evolving concept. We're mostly basing everything on 'he sounds good' and 'they've done well lately'.

Maldini does sound sexy as fuck though. Surely that would be enough to bring @Milanista back.

Is it not as simple as looking at what Viana has done with Sporting since 2018 to make some judgement (club's success in transfers or on field?) and same with Maldini's period at Milan? 

12 minutes ago, 80 said:

I think it's funny you've been swayed by a 4 paragraph puff piece, but you are basically right about this. Almost none of us have a clue who would actually be good for this role. We don't even really know what the role is, given DOFs are are still an evolving concept. We're mostly basing everything on 'he sounds good' and 'they've done well lately'.

We can just go on the assumption that someone who has performed the role for a club like Milan, Benfica, Monaco, is probably a safer bet than someone who's only managerial appointment outside of Scotland was in League One and is currently coaching coaches. I'm not saying Ross wouldn't be good at the job, I just think we will (quite rightly) go with a safer option.

Might it be time for us to go with someone who knows the club? Someone with experience of working in difficult circumstances and someone with a squeaky clean record? I think everyone knows the name I’m about to mention and I’d be surprised if anyone isn’t 100% behind it - Derek Llambias

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Might it be time for us to go with someone who knows the club? Someone with experience of working in difficult circumstances and someone with a squeaky clean record? I think everyone knows the name I’m about to mention and I’d be surprised if anyone isn’t 100% behind it - Derek Llambias

I think we promote Sandro to the role since he clearly isn’t kicking a football ever again

38 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

:lol:

16 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I'm pleased to say that name feels like such a blast from the past now.

Who was the bloke that everyone fell in love with when Ashley first bought us? Chris Mort? What's he up to these days?

12 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

We can just go on the assumption that someone who has performed the role for a club like Milan, Benfica, Monaco, is probably a safer bet than someone who's only managerial appointment outside of Scotland was in League One and is currently coaching coaches. I'm not saying Ross wouldn't be good at the job, I just think we will (quite rightly) go with a safer option.

Agreed. I certainly hope so. You might even say 'best in class'.

2 minutes ago, wormy said:

I'm pleased to say that name feels like such a blast from the past now.

Who was the bloke that everyone fell in love with when Ashley first bought us? Chris Mort? What's he up to these days?

He was quietly involved in supporting Staveley and PIF in the takeover, wasn't he? Never heard anything but good about him.

29 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Is it not as simple as looking at what Viana has done with Sporting since 2018 to make some judgement (club's success in transfers or on field?) and same with Maldini's period at Milan? 

Yes and no. You'd have to factor in things like the structure of those clubs in comparison to ours, the strength of the wider staff, where the club was historically and tons more. There's loads of room for charlatans to prosper and good people to be overlooked.

Honestly, in another dimension I could see Pardew developing a public reputation as a good DOF through pure bullshit and good luck.