Sporting Director / Director of Football

r0cafella

Not surprised to hear that. I would've expected it to be done and dusted by now if we truly fancied him.

I've got no problem with searching on if they're not convinced by him, by the way. Better no hire than a bad hire. I'm not persuaded that 'just anyone' would've made the last 8 weeks go better.

Edited by 80

40 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

Must be close to Nickson getting it, and a reshuffle elsewhere and recruit. 

Yeah, he's been my sneaky outside bet. And I'm optimistic about what he could do for us with more authority, he's clearly got many things going for him.

19 minutes ago, 80 said:

Yeah, he's been my sneaky outside bet. And I'm optimistic about what he could do for us with more authority, he's clearly got many things going for him.

Club wanted him, think he shied away from it. Maybe they have come to an acceptable arrangement. Think he’ll do well in that roll too. 

2 hours ago, 80 said:

I'd be a bit worried it would just end up with Howe running the show. Much though I love Howe as a manager, we really do need some separation between DOF and the coach.

If we’re all in on Howe, then I’m not concerned. For him personally, would come with added expectations and pressure, and if he delivered, superb. Doesn’t, club would just replace and the structure with it.

Backing a settled manager with a settled squad, wouldn’t be so unwise. 

30 minutes ago, TRon said:

I'd be a bit worried it would just end up with Howe running the show. Much though I love Howe as a manager, we really do need some separation between DOF and the coach.

I think the separation is overrated to be honest. But also I get the impression the club doesn't see a ton of clashing/hierarchy in responsibilities, beyond what is already there i.e. mutual agreement on significant signings. Rather than a situation where the DOF has the whiphand and the coach gets what he's given (or fights to overpower the structure).

I think it would more be a capacity issue for Howe. Doesn’t he already get to the office for 6/7am. Also a good idea to have resilience and consistency if Howe left for any reason. 

1 hour ago, 80 said:

I think the separation is overrated to be honest. But also I get the impression the club doesn't see a ton of clashing/hierarchy in responsibilities, beyond what is already there i.e. mutual agreement on significant signings. Rather than a situation where the DOF has the whiphand and the coach gets what he's given (or fights to overpower the structure).

Read this from Liverpool fans / Twitter gossip etc so make of it what you will

But all of their good/budget friendly signings that propelled them to the top (along with Klopps management too) , matip, Salah, Wijnaldum, Mane, selling Coutinho for van dijk/Allison etc etc

Was supposedly done with Michael Edwards leading, and apparently he left after a power struggle with Klopp, and has just rejoined back now klopp left... 

And they say Klopp was the one who wanted Nunez for the fortune they paid, Diaz, didn't want to replace Henderson etc, kept the same midfield for 5 years etc etc

2 hours ago, 80 said:

We were looking for two positions anyway from what we were led to believe, I suppose one of those would be to deal with the infrastructure, and the other would be more geared to recruitment. I think Howe's got a good eye for players anyway, but his focus is more on PL ready players, we need someone who is an expert on the foreign market.

1 hour ago, TRon said:

We were looking for two positions anyway from what we were led to believe, I suppose one of those would be to deal with the infrastructure, and the other would be more geared to recruitment. I think Howe's got a good eye for players anyway, but his focus is more on PL ready players, we need someone who is an expert on the foreign market.

Yeah, that's the last I've heard, which sounds positive to me.

I'm not sure the search started that way though - I think the board weren't too certain of what they wanted the structure to be at first. 

I don't blame them for that either, I think it's a good thing - that they're actually thinking about it. The structure of a modern football club isn't cut and dried nowadays; I think sometimes outsiders imagine the responsibilities of various job titles as being more cookie cutter than they actually are. There should be plenty of room to flex around the talents of individuals.