Sporting Director / Director of Football

r0cafella

2 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Only because you're convincing yourselves that Ashworth had nothing to do with any of your success or signings. :lol:

He served his purpose. Off to the English FA old boys club with him.

Edited by elbee909

Just now, Froggy said:

Only because you're convincing yourselves that Ashworth had nothing to do with any of your success or signings. :lol:

Check the signings from before and after his arrival if that's what you think, however he's not a chief scout or in charge of scouting, they report to the centre of a fucking wheel 

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

This is a tired conversation all together. Signings and finding talent is never about one individual or some technical director. There are millions pieces in that puzzle that have to function.

28 minutes ago, Steve Charlton said:

In the knows not a clue again.Fantastic

The club mudding all the horrible weird little virgins trying to put themselves out there as ITKs and not living in their step daddy’s back bedroom.

Most Excellent GIF by Psycho Synner

Just now, 54 said:

Hey, I have a novel idea, lets not make this thread become about Man United, like 101 others in the football section tend to be.

Agreed. You sign a top sporting director and a lot of people's first thought is to convince themselves he's better than Ashworth. A sad way to be.

Ashworth brought much needed structure and operational know how to a shell of a club, but by all accounts he was very hands off in the transfer department.

Very different kind of appointment this.

Edited by The Prophet

4 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Ashworth wasn't really about identifying players for us. Seemed to be only really involved in the Hall and Minteh deals.

Most of the others were before he arrived or players Howe was particularly keen on and liked.

I remember reading that despite the Ashworth hiring, you were also looking to get Dougie Freedman as head of recruitment.

I think that probably tells you everything. Ashworth seems to focus more on organising the whole structure.

2 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Agreed. You sign a top sporting director and a lot of people's first thought is to convince themselves he's better than Ashworth. A sad way to be.

Depends what his remit is. Apparently there was some friction with Ashoworth at Newcastle wanting control over stuff that wasn't his role.

Could well be like comparing a Centre Half and a winger.

3 minutes ago, Froggy said:

I can’t really say what good Ashworth did but it’s certain he held up Joelinton’s contract talks and had friction with the manager. I’m glad he’s fucked off. The whole stuff with emails and trying to get himself out of his contract is very telling on what Ashworth is like. Your welcome to him we have a man in with a much better CV 

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Ashworth brought much needed structure and operational know how to a shell of a club, but by all accounts he was very hands off in the transfer department.

Exactly, it's different kinds of sporting director for different points in our development - exactly how we should be approaching things.

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Feels like a step in a different direction for the club as well imo. Very much recruitment focused which in this age off FFP is needed.

24 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Ashworth wasn't really about identifying players for us. Seemed to be only really involved in the Hall and Minteh deals.

Most of the others were before he arrived or players Howe was particularly keen on and liked.

I remember reading that despite the Ashworth hiring, you were also looking to get Dougie Freedman as head of recruitment.

I think that probably tells you everything. Ashworth seems to focus more on organising the whole structure.

Seem to remember him flying off to Milan to sort out the Tonali deal.

Good to have diligent people in top roles …

From what I gather Ashworth was an organiser, sets up structures, departments, ways of working etc. Was probably exactly what we needed after Ashley, partuclarly with new first time owners, and presumably what Man U need given they've been so badly run for a while apparently. [source: Froggy]

Hopefully we've got our organisation a bit slicker over the last couple of years and this guy is now the right guy to do whatever the fuck a sporting director does going forward.

Edited by Checko

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Seem to remember him flying off to Milan to sort out the Tonali deal.

Good to have diligent people in top roles …

Yeah, he would have been involved in finalising the deal.

However, from listening to Howe talk about how he had been watching him for a while and really appreciated the player, I didn't at all get the impression Ashworth had recommended him.

Don't think Ashworth had much involvement in that side. Definitely seemed to be the case for Minteh though.

I think it's fair to say that Ashworth's detail-led focus will serve Man Utd well.

I mean he didn't bother to go over his own employment contract before signing it re. exit conditions and notice, but I'm sure that's just the exception etc.

Ashworth is good, let's not lie but he's a snake and I'd rather not have him rotting anywhere near us now. 

He'll do well for man utd then move on but I think we've done even better to get Mitchell in who is someone we all wanted pre Ashworth. Maybes he's not a snake? Time will tell. 

I think the whole thing with Ashworth is that once his structure is in, its diminishing returns in terms of his usefulness.

Which is why he moves on so much.. fear of being let go when people realise he’s not needed anymore.