Newcastle United 2-2 Bournemouth (17/02/24) | Reaction: pg 34

Yorkie

1 minute ago, STM said:

Also, casual reminder that the ref facilitated their tactical fouling and looked mortified that he had to give a pen.

I knew he'd get the book out later on in the game, rendering his early card-shyness an absolute joke.

Yeah that first half officiating was abysmal. There were about 3 clear 100% yellow card fouls that he failed to give and that let them off the hook big time in the second half 

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Miley's strengths are in possession; his movement is decent and he's got remarkable composure, making him a good passer. However he doesn't have anywhere near the physicality to make a significant impact out of possession, meanwhile he carries zero goal threat.

I share everyone's enthusiasm about him, and for him to have so aptly held the fort this season is absolutely commendable. But he does spend most of the majority of games as a bit of a passenger. 

Another good post.

Its OK to say that Miley looks and unreal prospect but also to say that our side is suffering without the usual players in there.

Edited by STM

14 minutes ago, NSG said:

Everyone keeps saying the midfield is shite but then raves about how good Bruno and Miley are. So basically Longstaff is shit :lol: 

Not really, I think everyone with any sense sees Miley is an amazing prospect but clearly shouldn’t be playing 90 mins week in week out. He’s getting credit because of how well he’s done and the quality he’s shown. But in reality he should be getting 30 mins here and there, playing in the cups etc. 

Howe himself said the 3 players as individuals have performed well… but you’d never choose these 3 as your starting 3. Longstaff is a squad player and Miley is a prospect. But we’ve got no other options so it is what it is. 

5 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

The only boring thing about us is seeing us concede the same damn identical goal twice a game every week for the last 6 weeks. That's what is fucking boring, the rest of it is pretty fun.

I am really happy you found today's match entertaining. I like watching Gordon pushing forward and yet I feel like we don't push forward as we used to. When recalling last season, any minute I had vibe that we can score any time. This season we just struggle and I am not as optimistic.  Of course, injuries fu....up our team really bad.... What is cool about our team is that we just need to add 3-4 players and we will have good season next year. 

Was entertaining though I've written this season off in my mind, so just here for the entertainment. 

Classic weak ref, though he didn't really.impsxt the result. The Gordon break in the second half where their guy tried to hook him around the neck. Good advantage but it's a booking. 

We just looked but disjointed and didn't have the energy in midfield. How we fix that with players out and not being able to buy anyone, who knows. 

Getting bit sick of the ball in to LB channel score across the keeper mind.

15 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

If it's a deficiency, then outside of the Newcastle bubble it's one that nigh on every other club has.

Nope. Being an inferior shot stopper is understandable and allowable. Causing our entire approach to be severely compromised isn’t.

I don’t blame Dubravka for his failings as such but he’s very ill suited to a high press team. Keepers with that starting position have rarely been a thing since Mancini discarded Shay 13 years ago.

5 minutes ago, Adrian1881 said:

I am really happy you found today's match entertaining. I like watching Gordon pushing forward and yet I feel like we don't push forward as we used to. When recalling last season, any minute I had vibe that we can score any time. This season we just struggle and I am not as optimistic.  Of course, injuries fu....up our team really bad.... What is cool about our team is that we just need to add 3-4 players and we will have good season next year. 

Yes ONLY the 4 players needed, not like that's nearly half the outfield team or anything. Plus we'll be losing players who will also need to be replaced so it becomes something of an impossible task to actually improve the starting XI and also the squad at the same time. This summer is going to have to be something else entirely if we really want to compete again next season. 

11 minutes ago, STM said:

I don't agree with Schar. He's nowhere near got the legs. Has Schar ever played there? [emoji38]

But if we persist with Burn, Livramento into Mileys 8 position would work. Livramento in any position on the pitch would work coz he's absolutely class.

The idea that we aren't utilising our second most (after Gordon) energetic, physical and most dynamic player blows my mind.

I'm absolutely convinced we could stick Livramento in any position on the pitch and the team would benefit.

He’s played there a handful of times - including for us.

I don’t know if Livramento has ever played centre mid, mind :) 

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Could try having Bruno and Longstaff both sitting. Or something else. This doesn’t work. 

Yep, I advocated playing Murphy as a number 10, just for his energy and pace. Not ideal, sure but something that changes that dynamic.

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

He’s played there a handful of times - including for us.

I don’t know if Livramento has ever played centre mid, mind :) 

My mind must have blanked that out.

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Miley’s not ready. He’s a passenger a lot of the time.  If he was 24 years old £15m signing I would be disappointed.  Given his age and experience he’s done a commendable job. But he’s also a weak link. 

Is it just me but I thought today he had an excellent game. Sitting deeper, he broke up play really well in the first half and played some really nice passes. Switching positions in the second half to the left reduced his impact, but he played well.

He shouldn’t be starting, but needs must. Ultimately, my impression hasn’t changed, I don’t think he’s got the pace or technical quality to reach elite level. But you still want him in the squad 

If we had a fit joelinton and Tonali we'd be pushing for top 4. Without a functioning midfield press our defence falls apart. Mat Ritchie's goal apart, the fact that he even makes it on the pitch shows how limited our options are.

Edited by pubteam

How do people watch the game and think Miley wasn’t pretty damn good and almost everything he did today? And calling him naive is fucking insane. Calling a 17 year old kid naive when he’s playing football with grown men is really odd. He made numerous tackles today and actually did quite well 1 v 1. His passing and driving forward very good. I think he’s absolutely ready.

What seems bigger issue to me is the third partner lacking the pace or physicality to make up for his more elegant style of play. The left back issue. The right wing issue. The lack of striker issue. The lack of depth or rotation issue. Lack of quality subs issue. 

Edited by Kanji

2 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Nope. Being an inferior shot stopper is understandable and allowable. Causing our entire approach to be severely compromised isn’t.

I don’t blame Dubravka for his failings as such but he’s very ill suited to a high press team. Keepers with that starting position have rarely been a thing since Mancini discarded Shay 13 years ago.

I know what you're saying and agree, but I still don't think that applies to even the better teams right now. Arsenal have two #1s, Ortega at Man City is good with his feet, but after that the #2s aren't a #1-lite. Unless I'm missing any?

2 minutes ago, Kanji said:

How do people watch the game and think Miley wasn’t pretty damn good and almost everything he did today? And calling him naive is fucking insane. Calling a 17 year old kid naive when he’s playing football with grown men is really odd. He made numerous tackles today and actually did quite well 1 v 1. His passing and driving forward very good. I think he’s absolutely ready.

What seems bigger issue to me is the third partner lacking the pace or physicality to make up for his more elegant style of play. The left back issue. The right wing issue. The lack of striker issue. The lack of depth or rotation issue. Lack of quality subs issue. 

We badly need to get some pace in the midfield 3, at left back and centre back. You need speed to get to the ball and recovery pace if you want to press high

6 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

Is it just me but I thought today he had an excellent game. Sitting deeper, he broke up play really well in the first half and played some really nice passes. Switching positions in the second half to the left reduced his impact, but he played well.

He shouldn’t be starting, but needs must. Ultimately, my impression hasn’t changed, I don’t think he’s got the pace or technical quality to reach elite level. But you still want him in the squad 

Didn’t watch the game today.  And I like him overall. But his lack of physicality in our system makes him a weakness. Not sure of his ceiling tbh 

My first time at St James' and i got to see Matt Ritchie score. Have to see the match again, but it i think we were missing an actual stiker so much. I thought before that Barnes could do the job maybe, but yeah that wont work. Every time Gordon went wide Barnes disappeared.

There were a couple of really good through balls played today for Longstaff but he just doesn't have the pace or the strength. Without big Joe and little Joe in midfield alongside him he becomes cruelly exposed