Blackburn Rovers 1-1 Newcastle United - NUFC win 4-3 on pens (27/02/24) | Reaction: pg 70

Disco

Just now, Pilko said:

Only Dubravka and Miggy enhanced their reputations tonight, everyone else was poor to dreadful.

Partial exception for Anderson who wasn't on long enough to be tarred with that brush, nice to see him back and lovely pen conversion. 

Thank fuck, anyway. Can't wait to get City away tomorrow and make the whole effort of tonight absolutely redundant.

Add Tino to that list, he was great when he came on.

Must admit - I feared the worst when it went to pens (given our pens record), but Dubs pulls us from the clarts, as he did all game. Think him on Gordon will be the only one's to emerge with credit in the bank.  Fair play to Blackburn, who pushed us all the way.

*relieved*

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Don't agree. 1-1 in normal time and ET was a fair result. 

I felt like the quality of their chances were just as good and they actually made the keeper work. As opposed to straight at him. I suppose we were wasteful as fuck, mind. 

Just felt like they got their gameplan spot on. We certainly didn’t. 

Just now, Numbers said:

Papering the cracks, we've been garbage for weeks, lets be real we were played off the park by a Championship team in 16th and didn't deserve to win, couple that with months on month of pathetic performances.

Can Eddie turn it around, lets hope so.

Ergh this just isn't true though.

I know I'm a happy clapper these days but it was an even game. Of course we should be getting through ties like that with minimal fuss, but it's hardly the first time an EFL team has taken it to a Prem one in the cup.

I think the lads deserve a fair bit of credit for not chucking it. They dug in and got the result in the end. 

Positives:

* minutes for Willock and anderson

* tino looked class on the right

* miggy showed why he is a better option than murphy

* no huge signs of injuries?

* Dubs

* actually through in the cup

Just now, Big Geordie said:

Must admit - I feared the worst when it went to pens (given our pens record), but Dubs pulls us from the clarts, as he did all game. Think him on Gordon will be the only one's to emerge with credit in the bank.  Fair play to Blackburn, who pushed us all the way.

*relieved*

I thought Livramento looked excellent when he came on

For all the "new fans" 

It was a one off cup game, whoever wins goes onto the next round.

Makes no difference if it's 10 - 0 or via penalties, makes no difference if you have 90% possession and 100 shots on target.

You win, you go through.

4 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Blackburn deserved the win, really

So fuck really. 

I've seen it happen many a time to us... I'll enjoy that all the same, maybe even a bit more than a usual win. 

It's not often we get that type of win... half an hour ago I could only see one outcome. 

Get the fuck in. 

2 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

It was a shit performance but we missed two absolute sitters :lol:

Dubs saved us with a couple of top drawer saves and all, though. For all the possession we had. We didn’t create many clear openings and a lot of the chances came from their fuck ups/the break of the ball. 

We’re through, I’ll take it. But I didn’t quite agree with the narrative Murphy was going with. It felt like they had plenty of chances to score too. 

Dubravka (obviously), Almiron, Gordon, Livramento only players to come out of that game with any credit. Was a tough watch, keep waiting for it to happen but hopefully we can build on it to gain some of our swagger back.

2 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

It was a shit performance but we missed two absolute sitters :lol:

And the rest. Lascelles' header, Bruno,  Barnes, Gordon, Longstaff (obvs some of them contained within the same incident).

Of course it shouldn't be so close but it's only frustration at the fact we weren't comfortable which provokes exaggerations like we were outplayed. 

Funny match for Dubravka like, a 10/10 for shot stopping and probably a 5/10 for coming out and taking charge. The sort of thing I was completely ignorant to pre-Pope.

I'm not a big fan of these 'entertaining' matches like. :lol: We were obviously poor and, I'm sorry, but obviously knackered. Miggy looked like the only player with any acceleration, really laboured, sloppy, and one-paced. Lucky to win, but - let's give this one an airing as well - we'll look better when more players get back and up to speed. :lol: 

Dubravka: 10

Trippier: 5

Lascelles: 5.5

Schär: 6

Burn: 6

Willock: 4.5

Bruno: 6

Longstaff: 5

Murphy: 5

Isak: 5

Gordon: 6.5

Almiron: 6.5

Miley: 6

Barnes: 5.5

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I think the lads deserve a fair bit of credit for not chucking it. They dug in and got the result in the end. 

Dubs only one that deserves credit, since we did try and chuck it :D