Newcastle United vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers: 2/3/24 @ 15:00 (No UK TV)

HaydnNUFC

Curious to see what we do up front here. Don’t love the idea of Isak starting a third game in a week after returning from injury. But Gordon also clearly needs a rest. I hope one of them sits at least.

Nice to have to midfield options for a change, though I’m also hoping we don’t push Willock too far too soon.

It’s a probably not a great game to stick in the memory, but the one which always sticks in my mind is the 1-4 home loss in 89/90.  As a kid I loved Steve Bull as an England player, and was excited to see him at SJP.  Wasn’t quite as happy when he absolutely annihilated us and scored all four for them.  Phenomenal centre forward at that level though.  

Almiron in for Murphy, and maybe Botman for Lascelles? That’s the changes I can see happening.

Just can’t see how the XI changes that much moving forward. It’s more Howe can make changes at the 60 mark onwards now, but the actual XI to not vary that much. 

Just now, Danh1 said:

0-3. They’re going to have done their home work on us.

Hoping they have a similarly long game at the Amex as we did last night. Cunha, Sarabia and Neto getting niggly injuries would help too. Otherwise, O’Neil will be setting up to absolutely expose that left hand side.

His Monday Night Football appearance earlier in the season shows he’s got definite smarts around weakness identification and subsequent exploitation of it. Our current malaise would be catnip to him.

Wolves are quality now. I don’t think it’ll be turgid. More likely to be a fast paced game with them taking the game to us. Think it’ll suit us but we’ll almost certainly concede at least one 

Just now, gbandit said:

Wolves are quality now. I don’t think it’ll be turgid. More likely to be a fast paced game with them taking the game to us. Think it’ll suit us but we’ll almost certainly concede at least one 

They are a very good counter attacking side, not so good when they have to come out and break teams down. If we play the same way we have been they will beat us comfortably imo.

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Lost at home to both Man United and Brentford, managed a 1-0 win against Sheff United (2 shots on goal). Not exactly showing that quality this month are they?

Weren't we in a terrible run of form last season when we played these and everyone predicted they'd batter us? No Joelinton in that team either.

4 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It’s a probably not a great game to stick in the memory, but the one which always sticks in my mind is the 1-4 home loss in 89/90.  As a kid I loved Steve Bull as an England player, and was excited to see him at SJP.  Wasn’t quite as happy when he absolutely annihilated us and scored all four for them.  Phenomenal centre forward at that level though.  

Was in the Scoreboard that day. From memory Kevin Brock scored a lovely free kick but we might have already been 0-4 down at that stage.

50 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Hoping they have a similarly long game at the Amex as we did last night. Cunha, Sarabia and Neto getting niggly injuries would help too. Otherwise, O’Neil will be setting up to absolutely expose that left hand side.

His Monday Night Football appearance earlier in the season shows he’s got definite smarts around weakness identification and subsequent exploitation of it. Our current malaise would be catnip to him.

Cunha’s already out for a while.

10 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Lost at home to both Man United and Brentford, managed a 1-0 win against Sheff United (2 shots on goal). Not exactly showing that quality this month are they?

Weren't we in a terrible run of form last season when we played these and everyone predicted they'd batter us? No Joelinton in that team either.

They also beat Chelsea and Spurs away from home in February and have been looking like a quality side in possession 

21 minutes ago, gbandit said:

They also beat Chelsea and Spurs away from home in February and have been looking like a quality side in possession 

Don't get me wrong, on the viewing of our last two games this is gonna be hard. But as I mentioned, we looked awful going into this game last year too, and won.

2 hours ago, Nucasol said:

Cunha is already out till late March