What if...? Biggest Sliding Doors Moments for NUFC

kingxlnc

Just now, mighty__mag said:

It's absolutely Dalglish not adding to the quality side we had, letting Les go to Spurs and Ginola. Beardsley, Tino being sold, 

Why the twat then added absolute shite including his son to the ranks. Some of the worst Nufc signings in history, think he only got Speed and Given right.

Had we kept our stars and added possibly one maybe two real quality signings we could have gone on to win something with the side Keegan was building.

Nobby as well, but agreed. It was obvious straight away that even one of the better replacements that season, Ketsbaia, wasn't going to cut it for a team supposedly attempting a title challenge.

57 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Nobby as well, but agreed. It was obvious straight away that even one of the better replacements that season, Ketsbaia, wasn't going to cut it for a team supposedly attempting a title challenge.

The Dalglish era was so fucking weird, like. Keegan gone, so let's bring in a title winning giant of a football manager/man in football. Proceeds to just blow the whole thing up in his first fucking window. 

1 hour ago, mighty__mag said:

It's absolutely Dalglish not adding to the quality side we had, letting Les go to Spurs and Ginola. Beardsley, Tino being sold, 

Why the twat then added absolute shite including his son to the ranks. Some of the worst Nufc signings in history, think he only got Speed and Given right.

Had we kept our stars and added possibly one maybe two real quality signings we could have gone on to win something with the side Keegan had built.

Hamman, Solano? Even Barnes was good for a season. Not to mention he brought the academy back. Among NUFC managers I rank him comfortably in the middle( maybe sixth?). Going off wiki, he sold

for more than he bought so maybe the cash was starting to dry up.

What!?

We went from challenging for the title to being on the brink of a relegation battle the following Easter. Barnsley was a must win and we only did so with a dodgy late goal.

And we played the most boring football along the way with players being told off for going over the halfway line.

Based on what he did for us he's easily one of the worst.  But unlike Souness at least had achievements elsewhere but the drop of under Sourness was nowhere near as bad as Dalglish.

Keegan made a profit in 1995 and improved us. Dalglish spent a lot of money mostly terribly whatever he brought in. 

Edited by Wolfcastle

10 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

Hamman, Solano? Even Barnes was good for a season. Not to mention he brought the academy back. Among NUFC managers I rank him comfortably in the middle( maybe sixth?). Going off wiki, he sold

for more than he bought so maybe the cash was starting to dry up.

Ferdinand was getting on and starting to get a few injuries as well, only just scraped double figures twice after he left us. Getting our money back would have been cracking business if we'd replaced him better. 

4 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Ferdinand was getting on and starting to get a few injuries as well, only just scraped double figures twice after he left us. Getting our money back would have been cracking business if we'd replaced him better. 

Aye. Tomasson, Andersson and Guivarch combined cost well more than we got for Ferdinand and for us they were all atrocious. 

Des Hamilton cost the same as we got for Ginola.

Pistone a ton more the Beresford and Elliott were sold for combined.

That's all on the manager not the PLC

Edited by Wolfcastle

Part of me wants to say that summer when we only brought Lee fucking Bowyer on a free, but the absolute idiocy to sack Bobby and replace him with that wanker Souness, who was on the verge of being binned by Blackburn was probably very significant.

I also can't forget that last day of the January transfer window when Ashley sold Carroll. That was devastating for me. My heart fucking sank.

1 minute ago, toon25 said:

Part of me wants to say that summer when we only brought Lee fucking Bowyer on a free

It didn't matter because we had Pardew and Ashley but us only signing Anita the season after finishing 5th was so baffling

23 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Part of me wants to say that summer when we only brought Lee fucking Bowyer on a free, but the absolute idiocy to sack Bobby and replace him with that wanker Souness, who was on the verge of being binned by Blackburn was probably very significant.

I also can't forget that last day of the January transfer window when Ashley sold Carroll. That was devastating for me. My heart fucking sank.

Sacking Robson so late was a bigger problem, making it harder to appoint a successor.  Robson should’ve been walked in May. 

26 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Aye. Tomasson, Andersson and Guivarch combined cost well more than we got for Ferdinand and for us they were all atrocious. 

Des Hamilton cost the same as we got for Ginola.

Pistone a ton more the Beresford and Elliott were sold for combined.

That's all on the manager not the PLC

Yep, all atrocious signings.  Poor Des Hamilton mind, poor sod just wasn’t good enough and you could visibly see the confidence drain from him match by match.

One of the most pitiful sights I ever saw in the flesh was seeing Hamilton through on goal away to Derby on Boxing Day 1997, only to trip over his own feet before he could take a shot.  

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep, all atrocious signings.  Poor Des Hamilton mind, poor sod just wasn’t good enough and you could visibly see the confidence drain from him match by match.

One of the most pitiful sights I ever saw in the flesh was seeing Hamilton through on goal away to Derby on Boxing Day 1997, only to trip over his own feet before he could take a shot.  

Will always remember finding out about the likes of Hamilton and Brian Pinas through Match magazine

2 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Will always remember finding out about the likes of Hamilton and Brian Pinas through Match magazine

Some of that was on the previous manager, having to rebuild a competitive reserve team from scratch. 

2 hours ago, mighty__mag said:

Had we kept our stars and added possibly one maybe two real quality signings we could have gone on to win something with the side Keegan had built.

I thought the club was in financial trouble and that Les and Ginola were sold by the club, Dalglish had little to do with it? No one in their right mind replace David Ginola with Temuri Ketsbaia. Of course he later signed Nobby.

Edit: Make no mistake, Dalglish destroyed a classic team. Just thought his hands were tied, just a little bit.

Edited by Collage

Bramble own goal against Southampton. Maybe we then win that game, and go into final game against Liverpool knowing a win secures UCL football.

Still big if needed, but getting UCL football again might have been what keeps us up there and keeps Liverpool down below, as Rafa may not have went there, they don’t win UCL as not in it, and Gerrard leaves. 

Bobby may have been more willing to walk on a high, and we could’ve got Rafa. 

1 hour ago, Sibierski said:

Bramble own goal against Southampton. Maybe we then win that game, and go into final game against Liverpool knowing a win secures UCL football.

Still big if needed, but getting UCL football again might have been what keeps us up there and keeps Liverpool down below, as Rafa may not have went there, they don’t win UCL as not in it, and Gerrard leaves. 

Bobby may have been more willing to walk on a high, and we could’ve got Rafa. 

There’s no chance of Shepherd appointing Rafa or Rafa coming here over Liverpool - in response to your last paragraph. If anything failing to reach the CL would’ve just strengthened their resolve to get him (he had initial talks in April iirc).

I know you touch on this but even if we’d beaten Southampton nothing less than a win at Anfield would’ve done. I just can’t see it. And why single out the OG? There was nearly an hour of football left. 

The bigger moment is Shearer’s penalty miss against Wolves a few days before that which unquestionably cost us 2 points and for various reasons meant Bobby was a sacked man in waiting.

Belgrade is rightly mentioned and the Sporting Lisbon quarter was horror show few can forget. Although of that meant a great deal at the time. 

Edited by Stuy_O

7 hours ago, Beren said:

Also I think Bellamy got injured one season when we were shit hot. All a blur now.

He got a bad injury in his first season in the spring iirc which correlated with our form going bad. I still remember when we won 1-3 at Highbury right before Christmas that season to end the London curse and top of the league. I stared at the updated league table on our Ceefax for at least half an hour. :lol: