Chelsea vs. Newcastle United: 11/3/24 @ 20:00 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

A win would be nice and would set us up well for the run-in. If we can control the game in the same way we managed against Wolves we'll do these.
Isak masterclass incoming tonight hopefully.

3 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Nice to see a match thread with some positivity, reminds me the whinging fannys arent posting as much lately.....

3 pages for a pre match thread when we haven't played for like 10 days is certainly different

10 hours ago, Heron said:

The performance is equally as important as the result this time out, we need confidence ahead of next week and for me, if we're to draw, I'd like to see a clean sheet ahead of scoring at all.

Ideally, a win to nil with a solid performance will be the outcome, 1 or 2 nil.

My prediction though is 1-1.

It's not like.

A win and we probably finish ahead of them this season. And it puts us back on top for that race for 7th.

1-2 Newcastle. Isak double.

The Wolves match seems an obvious blueprint for this one - let them pass it to death for lengthy spells and hit them on the counter. They only started looking the better side in the LC quarter final when we were knackered and our squad is in a way better place now. Think we can sneak it but hoping for at least a draw. 

Our biggest league game of the season so far imo. Think it pretty much defines the rest of our campaign. 

Win here, and we're right in contention for 6th. 4 points off Man Utd, with four decent fixtures before Man Utd and Spurs, then another four decent fixtures to round off our season. Lose and we remain 10th, Chelsea on our heels and 7 points from Man Utd which is a big, big ask. I guess a draw isnt the end of the world.

Chelsea are always going to be a threat, given the quality of their players but we've got players back, options from the bench and we're reasonably well rested. A good litmus test of where we're at going into the last ten games. A big performance needed. 

Edited by Doctor Zaius

Feeling quite optimistic about this. They were absolutely rubbish in the League Cup game (only slightly worse than us, like) and we battered them at St James'. I think we'll be confident. 

2 hours ago, frankpingel said:

Gallagher missing tonight apparently he's ill, according to talksport. 

This is good. Regardless of whether or not people think he’s good there’s no question he works hard. Not sure the same can be said for a lot of their team.

BBC

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

Chelsea have lost just one of their 28 home games against Newcastle United in the Premier League (W20, D7).

The Blues could complete a league double over Newcastle for the first time since 1986-87.

Chelsea

Chelsea have lost only one of their past 12 home games in all competitions (W8, D3).

The Blues haven't lost a Premier League home fixture in the month of March since 2001, a run of 37 fixtures.

Their tally of 36 points is only one fewer than they managed in the whole of last season.

Cole Palmer has been involved in 17 goals in 18 Chelsea starts, scoring 10 and assisting seven.

Palmer has the most goals and assists in a season of any Chelsea player aged 21 and younger.

Newcastle United

Newcastle have lost six of their past eight away matches in the Premier League, winning the other two.

The Magpies have conceded 29 away league goals this season; only Sheffield United have a worse record.

They are on a run of 10 away games without a clean sheet.

Premier League fixtures involving Newcastle this season have featured an average of 3.8 goals a game, more than any other team.

Eddie Howe has won four of his last seven league games against Chelsea (D2, L1).

Anthony Gordon could become the first Newcastle player to score in three consecutive matches against Chelsea.

Gordon has 10 goals and five assists in 27 Premier League appearances this season.

As always with our away games I dont know what to expect. I just hope we come out to play our game (wich hasnt been the case for several away games this season for different reasons). 

Stamford Bridge is always a tough game, even when we're good and Chelsea are shit - league and cup games in 95/96 a good example.

It's very much a bogey ground for Newcastle so not really expecting a win, but nothing would surprise me with this Chelsea side. 

Chelsea are such an odd team, they will get big chances and they will gift us some big chances. I can't remember a team like this who has the ability to beat everyone but also lose to everyone.