Chelsea 3-2 Newcastle United (11/03/24) | Reaction: pg 45

BlueStar

2 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

They're 11th and had only won 5 home league games before tonight.

:lol:

That billion squad chat is some of the most stupidest shit I've read on here. They've been mostly dire all of the season ffs - their manager is under pressure and there's talk they're about to bin him off.

Edited by Menace

We had a real chance to take it to this lot tonight and capitalise on the West Ham result yesterday, and get the Europe train back on track, but another crap away performance with more soft goals leaked, and we can now slip to 11th if Chelsea win their game in hand.

Another really poor showing tonight, and certain individuals especially.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

:lol: Presumably nobody wants to say it because in doing so you'd automatically give yourself away as being from planet thick cunt

Because keeping with a manager who has won 3 away games all season and has had a -11.1xg form in the last 10 games really is the way to go, isn't it?

3 minutes ago, Pata said:

Decent ratings but 6.5 to Willock seems really generous compared to the others. 

Thought he was easily the standout in the midfield for driving forward and for offering meaningful cover out of position. 

You could see the pattern of play developing after 3 minutes. We can have all the ball as teams realise we can’t create against the low block. Plus teams also love to draw us in with the press and easily get at us with a few quick passes and pace in behind 

At the end of the day we conceded 4 at home to Luton....and that was no fluke.

Thats us, that's what we are at the moment. We can't compete as a top 6 team, nowhere near. How we got there is another matter 

1 minute ago, FCB said:

Because keeping with a manager who has won 3 away games all season and has had a -11.1xg form in the last 10 games really is the way to go, isn't it?

Mourinho though? Really?

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Just absolutely frustrating as fuck. Probably the most frustrated I've been all season. 

We can take solace from the fact it doesn't change a huge amount in the grand scheme of things; the skirmish for 7th will probably play out until the very end. 

Just maddening that we've pissed away a really good opportunity due to a thoroughly limp fucking performance.

I am more concerned at our decline - you can't blame injuries for our performance today.  There was just no cohesion, we seemed to lack any form of a game plan - they had a patched up back four and we barely tested them. 

In a lot of other games we can play the “They’ve spent a billion on their team!”-card but not against Chelsea. Everyone is in agreement that they’ve spent bad - wasting a lot of money on average players. Today was a massive step back for me - there’s something massively wrong with us. Lack of squad depth, overworked players (Longstaff, Gordon, Burn and Schar) are excuses. But we lack the basic cohesion and passing of an even OK team at the moment. There’s still time to save the season but we’ve been saying “All it takes is putting on a run” since December and haven’t been able to. Missing out on Europe would surely be a miscalculation for both Eddie and the owners - and I honestly fear losing a couple of players I’d rather not lose this summer if we end up outside it. It’s a perfect storm though - Eddie hasn’t suddenly turned in to a shit manager. Lady luck, a few too many bad calls over the course of the season and (in hindsight) a poor transfer window in the summer has set us up for this. 

Just now, Disco said:

Ian Wright shouldn’t be allowed to be on Sky. It’s discombobulating even though he’s echoing what I’ve just said.

Sky, BBC, itv....earning a few quid like 

2 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

Our last 20 games on Monday nights (including tonight):

• Played 20 Won 1 Drawn 3 Lost 16 Goals Scored 11 Goals Conceded 39
  • So just once in 19 have NUFC kept a clean sheet.
  • Only twice in the last 14 have Newcastle United managed to score a goal.

MNF can fuck right off!

Out of interest, how many of them were at home?

One deflection/slight touch and two tunnels for their goals. Conceding one of those in a game is annoying enough, but three of them to lose 3-2 :lol: Chelsea definitely had the margins on their side. Not that we played well by any means either, but thought we deserved a point at least. Chelsea did a really good job at nerfing Bruno.

Good night to update the ignore list.

1 minute ago, FCB said:

Yes, we should only consider the things you've said there and nothing else. You're very clever.

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

Mourinho though? Really?

I'd take Mourinho, I'd rather take Michel (granted he just turned down Chelsea)

1 minute ago, Menace said:

:lol:

That billion squad chat is some of the most stupidest shit I've read on here. They've been mostly dire all of the season ffs - their manager is under pressure and there's talk they're about to bin him off.

Yep, they're a midtable, ordinary side yet we've conceded 3 goals to them and deserved nowt. 22 goals conceded in our last 8 away league games.

This game has pissed me off more than any this season. There's no excuses anymore like. We've got players back so we can't blame injuries, we can't blame tiredness anymore, we haven't played for 9 days. If we're going to move forward we need to be brutal in the summer with some of these players. If it continues into next season then major questions will be rightly asked of Howe. But he deserves the summer to fix it.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Yes, we should only consider the things you've said there and nothing else. You're very clever.

Don't forget a wasted transfer window, please do tell me which part of this season has appealed to you so much that you'd like to keep him as manager?

2 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

You could see the pattern of play developing after 3 minutes. We can have all the ball as teams realise we can’t create against the low block. Plus teams also love to draw us in with the press and easily get at us with a few quick passes and pace in behind 

Every team knows it, get behind the ball against Newcastle, save energy, let them have a dozen passes, steal ball, run, score goal

4 minutes ago, FCB said:

It's way better than hiring fucking Jose Mourinho in 2024. :lol:

We are so open, the defending is actually schoolboy stuff.

We've spent the entire season saying "it'll be better when Longstaff is back, it'll be better when Willock is back, it'll be better when Joelinton is back, it'll be better when Botman is back, it'll be better when Pope is back (probably more truth to this one than the others)", but there is an underlying structural issue there, we are not playing as a unit, we look like a bunch of individuals which has been the main difference this season, pretty much all season - especially away from home. 

We are incoherent going forward and even more incoherent going backwards. We're relying on luck in defence, and "a bit of magic" up front; a dangerous combo. 

No idea what the solution is but we are a shadow of last season's "team".