Chelsea 3-2 Newcastle United (11/03/24) | Reaction: pg 45

BlueStar

24 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Just absolutely frustrating as fuck. Probably the most frustrated I've been all season. 

We can take solace from the fact it doesn't change a huge amount in the grand scheme of things; the skirmish for 7th will probably play out until the very end. 

Just maddening that we've pissed away a really good opportunity due to a thoroughly limp fucking performance.

Agree with this. All things considered that was the most frustrating and disappointing 90 minutes of the season.

6 minutes ago, huss9 said:

dubravka should have screamed for botman to get out the way for the first goal. it was his all day.

Aye. Was absolutely abysmal between the pair of them like but if there was any moment from tonight which was 'schoolboy,' it was Dubs not putting his name on that. 

He drives you mad, like. The Bramble of keepers.

Too many players injured and too many players bang out of form.

Botman looks miles off it since he returned. Like his decision making is all over the shop.. and I dunno, it’s like his aura has diminished similar to what happened with VVD where he was shit for a year and players started believing they could get the better of him.

Longstaff.. it’s like he gets 90 mins each and every time because he can just run about making up the numbers. So bad tonight and yet he’ll keep his place.

GK was so very very poor.. he doesn’t inspire confidence. But no alternative.

Others could probably single out but what’s the point.

Same with Howe.. I’ve said my bit on him several times this season.

Just now, Yorkie said:

Aye. We absolutely abysmal between the pair of them like but if there was any moment from tonight which was 'schoolboy,' it was Dubs not putting his name on that. 

He drives you mad, like. The Bramble of keepers.

just dives so slowly and never seems to be at full stretch going for the ball. just no urgency.

he's had a couple of decent games where he's started to look much better... then he reverts to type.

4 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

It's completely rocked our cohesion too. Players feel all out of rhythm with eachother. You've got a blend of players who have played way too much and players who have barely started their season. Injuries are absolutely still a factor.

They've played so much more football than they did last year. They look mentally wiped, it's a lot to ask from the players we have available. 

6 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

Agree with this. All things considered that was the most frustrating and disappointing 90 minutes of the season.

We had a good start, sunk our heads for 20min after a soft goal, then looked decent to close out the first half. Had a decent 10min spell to the restart and found ourselves down 2 goals shortly thereafter.  

Edited by The Bonk

Im there tonight and I’ve been four times before : 0-5, 0-4, 0-1, 0-1. So I cannot be optimistic …

Well at least 25 years and 4 trips after my first one I saw a goal...

Pretty good atmosphere in our end.

I was here the season before last and it's a shame thinking about how we gave a much better account of ourselves that day (recently out of the relegation zone), against a better Chelsea side. It's shit having that familliar feeling back of just not having any faith in us being solid. 

Edited by Superior Acuña

42 minutes ago, vic said:

Isaak and Bruno won't be hanging around long.

I know this is a bit of a wind up, but there was signs that both of them and Schar were just jogging along by the end. Don't think they expected this season to be such a slog.

Weird one tonight…

Expected defeat as our record at Stamford Bridge and on a Monday night would suggest what the outcome would be so no great shock there.

So think the disappointment was our basic passing and fight for second balls. Very disjointed.Felt like we were almost treating it like a warm up to make one last big effort in the cup. Surprised Bruno started after the arrival of his child. Thought he’d miss out or maybe start from the bench.

For having a longer rest from last game thought everyone looked knackered from the off. Two great goals covered a lot of cracks in the performance.

Need some energy/legs in midfield desperately.

Just now, LiquidAK said:

You're just saying there are questions to be asked. I get it 

“I’m not saying I’d sack him, but I think our Saudi overlords will be asking serious questions”

4 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

“I’m not saying I’d sack him, but I think our Saudi overlords will be asking serious questions”

Saudi fan fic connoisseurs will be rubbing themselves raw the neet.

I go back to what I said in the pre match build up - the performance was probably more important than the result.

I could have accepted a draw or 3-2 defeat tonight if I felt we'd given it everything, battled for everything, not given up. It didn't feel like that. Chelsea have some decent players but are suffering from the same mental fragility/fatigue as we are it seems. Only we have fair reason to be doing so after our season.

Chelsea were utter shite, and I cannot even say we were worse. We weren't. Only they had players taking pop shots from 20 yards whilst we tried to walk it in most the night.

It was a shockingly bad game of football in large parts. Like and end of season game. We look like we want the season to end. I sincerely hope we're well drilled and in shithouse mode next Saturday because we need a catalyst to revive the end of our season. It's fizzling out as it stands and that's no slight against any of them, it's just been that sort of season. Some really high, highs and then some really demoralising lows, which aren't always when we've been tanked. Liverpool and Milan at home, losing the way we did. Not taking more points against lesser sides. Just so crushing going out the cups the way we did so far too.

We just need to realise we're fucking good. We're outstanding on our day. At present we look a shell of ourselves. I do wonder if we actually have any real horrible fuckers too, we seem like we desperately need it. Too many niceties, too much space and no belief at present, we desperately need to recapture that. As it stands, after a decent 3 -0 win at home that sprung a new lease of life into us, the performance tonight put us back to square one.

Edited by Heron

I honestly hate to say it but tactically we’re a joke and have been for a lot of the season. We don’t have the slightest clue how to keep the ball and slow down the game when we need to.

We played into Chelsea’s hands for the majority of the second half. It’s brainless football devoid of a sustainable plan. 

11 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

I honestly hate to say it but tactically we’re a joke and have been for a lot of the season. We don’t have the slightest clue how to keep the ball and slow down the game when we need to.

We played into Chelsea’s hands for the majority of the second half. It’s brainless football devoid of a sustainable plan. 

Aye, we look like we're between different plans at the moment and have done for some while now.

Love Eddie Howe, but there should have been a slightly different tact taken I think in recent weeks and months.

It's too early to be calling for Howe's head, there are a lot of mitigating circumstances that have led us to this point. I'm not going to rehash the injuries, fatigue, confidence thing, it's been done to death though it has played its part.

But I think at this point you have to look at mistakes made by Howe and the players, it's an horrific gumbo of issues, uncontrollable, external but also controllable and internal. 

Maybe an international break and warm weather training can bring us a new lease of life for the run in. Perhaps it will take a summer of renovation to reinvigorate us. Either we finish strong and clinch a European slot or we wipe the slate clean and have an easier season to concentrate on the league, I'm OK with either BUT we have to see major improvements next season either way.