FAC QF: Manchester City 2-0 Newcastle United (16/03/24) | Reaction: pg 34

Yorkie

Just now, Yorkie said:

Just a total non-event, really.

We made a couple of mistakes early doors, they got a bit of fortune, and that was that. They were able to do their tiki-taka defensive game - which they're absolutely impeccable at - and that was job done. Far too good for a flawed team with incredibly brittle confidence. 

Good performance though, according to some

1 minute ago, Big Geordie said:

Let’s just hope the rest of the season doesn’t fall apart now. 

Well we likely can't go down. We almost certainly won't finish in a European place. It's just going to be a go through the motions with lots of "you're playing for your futures comments"  didn't make a shred of difference when Howe said that a month ago, doubt it will make a difference again.

Disappointing but not unexpected. We had chances to score. They got lucky, but could have kicked into higher gears whenever they wanted to tbh.

decent effort 

worth mentioning some of the players out there today 

Dubs

Lascelles 

Schar

Murphy 

Longstaff 

Willock 

Almiron

7 players from Bruce era heading for relegation and whom Howe has worked wonders with

today was mission impossible against a team going for the double treble and pretty much invincible at home 

not getting hammered is commendable for where we're at 

Edited by Ginola14

Another uninspired away game. Major problems all over the park with the same issues coming to light again. Poor in possession. Poor at the back and open in midfield.

Another season’s daydream ends

Didn’t think we were all that bad - though Man City definitely took their foot off the pedal second half

We’re giving the cups a go, and that is a positive for me regardless.  Nothing pisses me off more than NUFC playing reserves in these competitions

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Thought we had the right idea and set up but when the moments that the set up provided arrived, the quality and composure just wasn't there. 

Think we did OK but the goals went in very unluckily and obviously there’s no way back once 2-0 down to Man City. 

Their players control every pass and give every pass perfectly, ours waste a lot of opportunities and make a lot of mistakes. 

Was always going to be a defeat. 

Positive would be if we see those sub players starting more now. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Thought we had the right idea and set up but when the moments that the set up provided arrived, the quality and composure just wasn't there. 

I agree apart from Burn and Longstaff starting. Just don’t offer enough on the ball to allow us as a team to actually keep the ball better at times to improve our chances of hurting City.

Just now, toontownman said:

So when's the next women's match?

Tomorrow, wolves, then the pizza cup final next Saturday. Probably still tickets :)

1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Good performance though, according to some

I think it had the potential to be. First goal killed it. It's not good but that's where we're at atm; we've nowhere near the required quality or mentality to overturn a deficit at the Etihad. 

15 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Probably because he wasn't ready previously. Didn't he look really shaky in one of his first appearances at left back, and it was being mentioned in here at the time.

He also scored in another and Howe just seemed to push that out of his mind.

Given I thought we where going to be utterly pumped, I think we did better then i was expecting, and I feel like where weren't bad that overall, we weren't amazing by any stretch, but we also weren't horrendously bad. Thought, for the most part we defended well, and limited them, and it was two utter shite deflections that undone us. 

Also think that was the best we've been in possession for a long while, and that every player were dedicated to the game plan.

Ultimately we came up against the beat team in the world on their own patch, and we didn't disgrace ourselves.