Newcastle United 4-3 West Ham United (30/03/24) | Reaction: pg 50

Yorkie

29 minutes ago, Holloway said:

Liked the Eusebio mention, the Black Pearl ☺️

Nah nowt like that, in fact he"s lifetimes away.

Quite like Willock though, think he has his uses 

I remember a Transworld Sport episode on him and I was fucking mesmerised. Same with John Charles and Lev Yashin.

Think one of my old buddies flew out from Monterey, California to see the game. Lucky bastard. He's a serious talisman. Went to Newcastle for his honeymoon, and saw the 6-2 against Everton. Was at the Leicester home game last season to see us qualify for the CL. Just send him to every game.

8 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

How? he doesn't touch Phillips. It would still be a free kick to us at the other end. Phillips is the one who kicks the leg not Gordon

He puts is foot in between Philips foot and the ball, without actually playing the ball, which is where the subjective side of it comes in.

I think it is a difficult call and would be as annoyed as West Ham fans if it happened to us.

8 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

I’m not suggesting I want JWP, but the step up from Longstaff to him is absolutely massive. The original post suggested otherwise. 90% of the chances and final balls Longstaff fluffs, JWP wouldn’t.

Anyway, no point in us signing him because we can do better, but to suggest JWP wouldn’t improve our midfield is nuts. 

How many chances or shots did ward prowse have today like?

He's anonymous apart from set pieces

Just now, Matt1892 said:

He puts is foot in between Philips foot and the ball, without actually playing the ball, which is where the subjective side of it comes in.

I think it is a difficult call and would be as annoyed as West Ham fans if it happened to us.

We were due a break tbf 

1 minute ago, STM said:

That Barnes winner sounded as loud as any goal celebration as I've heard and I only watched on the TV.

It was mental. I stand in strawberry corner and it was just pure limbs everywhere. Unreal!

Just now, Matt1892 said:

So he put a challenge in and didn't foul him. Thanks for clarifying that. It's not subjective at all, Gordon put a challenge in, but didn't foul Phillips, whereas Phillips kicked Gordon in the leg without making any contact with the ball. The VAR and the Ref after seeing it back 100% made the correct decision

17 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Got ballot tickets for this ( 3 from all of them 😏

What a game 💪

For the ballot police, I was sat next to a couple of Dutch blokes. Told me there was a few of them dotted about (East Stand upper) & they paid £300 per ticket online. No idea where. 

Was an Ajax fan and this was his 1st Premier game. 

The old boy next to me (who I ended up hugging in the chaos after Barnes goal) was telling me about the Dutch lads who'd spent £2000 all in to get here. Class :lol: worth it eh 

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

So he put a challenge in and didn't foul him. Thanks for clarifying that. It's not subjective at all, Gordon put a challenge in, but didn't foul Phillips, whereas Phillips kicked Gordon in the leg without making any contact with the ball. The VAR and the Ref after seeing it back 100% made the correct decision

I don’t need to clarify it as we have all seen the footage, you come across as taking this to heart in your response like it is some sort of attack.

I can’t think of any penalties off the top of my head but if one of our players was through on goal and was about to kick the ball, then a defender put his foot in the way to stop me having a clear strike of the ball and instead kicked his leg, then I would be arguing for the penalty to us, rather than a foul the other way.

Pattern of the goals was exactly the same as the Leicester 4-3 comeback in 96/97

but, grab your hose and socks and pull, our three second half goals on each occasion were scored in the exact same minute (and at the same end) 77, 83 and 90.

Just now, Matt1892 said:

I don’t need to clarify it as we have all seen the footage, you come across as taking this to heart in your response like it is some sort of attack.

I can’t think of any penalties off the top of my head but if one of our players was through on goal and was about to kick the ball, then a defender put his foot in the way to stop me having a clear strike of the ball and instead kicked his leg, then I would be arguing for the penalty to us, rather than a foul the other way.

I just think you're talking a load of rubbish and the officials obviously agreed. Isn't that the purpose of the game to try and stop an opponent kicking the ball. If Gordon had fouled him, then of course it would have been a free kick, he didn't and it was Phillips who committed the foul. No point going on about it anymore though as don't want to spoil it for people going over the same thing

1 hour ago, Nine said:

Player availability is far to inconsistent to make any reasonable aim for a league finish imo, I think form will just continue as it is for the most part.

Sure, but we are facing teams with worse players than what we have available, in nearly every fixture left.

Edited by Erikse

8 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Gordon took possession of the ball just as defenders take possession shepherding the ball out for a goal kick without touching it, it's clear cut imo. 

27 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Both our penalties were soft as fuck but I’ll for sure take them. :lol: 

Gordon deserves two Oscars or at least a couple of Baftas but well done him its about time we shithoused our way back into a game

So much to unpick with that game. 

For all we weren't brilliant in the first half, I didn't think we were bad and we were edging it. Bruno's chance which hit the bar and Isak being denied by Mavrapanos demonstrated that we'd have been good value for a half-time lead imo. 2-1 to them came out of nowhere; it was only the bullshit of VAR and its stupid delays that meant West Ham were able to snatch the lead in the 55th fucking minute. Ridiculous. 

The third goal was appalling football from us and, for all the rage and despondency, was the only truly abysmal thing that happened in the game. West Ham hadn't had to play well to have a two-goal lead which, at no point, seemed like a scoreline befitting of the play. We're just an absolute disaster when teams run at us.

West Ham looked comfortable for a brief spell after Bowen's goal, but other than that I thought we were the better team throughout. In fact, the Hammers were very unimpressive and I can see why there's a lot of angst from their fanbase.

Obviously we completely threw away the control we had but showed some quite incredible resilience to wrestle it back. I love the mentality of these players; they're a flawed team but their professionalism is absolutely A1. Sprinkle some attacking quality on top of that and Bob's your uncle: there's your sensational injury time winner. How we've missed a player like Harvey Barnes this season. 

/ . The penalties are really unfortunate but they're definitely penalties

/ . Gordon's sending off is maddening; it's such a crap rule

/ . Thought it was arguably Isak's best all-round performance in a Newcastle shirt

/ . Murphy was great at RB; what a shift he puts in for this team

/ . I can't really fault Howe for the subs, the logic was sound but Krafthy just had a stinker

/. 20 minutes total added time is a fucking joke

/ . Buzzing for @BermyToon and @LiquidAK, particularly the latter. A brilliant poster who's always seemed like an absolutely smashing lad and, seeing as it's very hard work for you to get to SJP, you really deserve that. :thup:

Just now, ShootShoot said:

Gordon deserves two Oscars or at least a couple of Baftas but well done him its about time we shithoused our way back into a game

you have the best profile pic, dude. One of the greatest live albums of all time!

17 minutes ago, joeyt said:

How many chances or shots did ward prowse have today like?

He's anonymous apart from set pieces

You base your player judgements on one game? Bit harsh! 
His stats are consistently good, mostly in a struggling Southampton team. This season he’s got more assists than goals, and then you can rely on him from set pieces as well. He would be a massive upgrade on Longstaff! I don’t want him, but to suggest he wouldn’t improve our midfield is crazy. 

3 hours ago, toon25 said:

Defended poorly for a couple of goals, but that performance showed guts, determination and fight. Something we've lacked in a lot of games this season.

To come back from 3-1 down and even more injuries is fucking brilliant 

Nah we were seriously awful and got pulled out the shit by Oscar winner AG and HB wonder goals 

1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

You base your player judgements on one game? Bit harsh! 
His stats are consistently good, mostly in a struggling Southampton team. This season he’s got more assists than goals, and then you can rely on him from set pieces as well. He would be a massive upgrade on Longstaff! I don’t want him, but to suggest he wouldn’t improve our midfield is crazy. 

Every game I have seen him recently against us, which I think was 4 last season and 2 this. Two of those were live. I don’t even notice he’s playing. 

Certainly got great technique and a good passer. But feels like a MOTD player. As I’ve never seen him and noticed him having a good game. 

He’d be better than Longstaff ATM. But at this point, a current day Alan Smith probably would be :lol: 

4 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

I just think you're talking a load of rubbish and the officials obviously agreed. Isn't that the purpose of the game to try and stop an opponent kicking the ball. If Gordon had fouled him, then of course it would have been a free kick, he didn't and it was Phillips who committed the foul. No point going on about it anymore though as don't want to spoil it for people going over the same thing

I am not too bothered if you think I’m talking rubbish or not, you said you didn’t understand why people would think it wasn’t a penalty and I am explaining to you their thought process in why it wouldn’t be.

There is a reason why when defenders make tackles they attempt to block the ball, rather than trying to put their foot in between the player trying to kick the ball and the ball.

It isn’t worth getting worked up about.