Newcastle United 1-1 Everton (02/04/24) | Reaction: pg 40

Yorkie

Just now, Nobody said:

How many minutes of VAR football has he played? That would have never been a penalty in a million years before VAR. 

I mean this is strictly true seeing as the ref missed it :lol: but it's clearly a foul, like.

Torn between wanting Everton finally getting relegated and fucking off, and them staying up so we can pump them hard next season. The two results against them make me angry.

Edited by Sibierski

Fucking awful this having to listen to Dyche pretending they deserved that. We should have buried them before the hour mark.

Just now, Smal said:

their only chance in the game was a penalty. It's a complete contrast to any of our recent performances where we've been gifting teams like Everton countless chances to score. We created chances, killed counter attacks before they began, battered them in duels and won second balls. We've not controlled a game as well as that for a while now.

They did though. They hit the post, had a couple of squandered chances they hit straight at Dubravka, and had another couple that needed last ditch tackles.

Honestly no idea what you mean tbh, we regularly lost the ball needlessly and were playing like we were 2 up or that we'd score while playing with very little intensity. Thought the application and game management was shit and naive.

5 minutes ago, midds said:

Special mention for Dan Burn tonight btw, I thought he was brilliant tonight. He was honking for a few months and got pelters for it at the time but I thought he was exceptional tonight, can't remember a single mistake and got us off the hook a few times too. He was superb and it's right he gets a bit of praise

He's far better at CB and hopefully he stays there, injuries permitting.

2 minutes ago, andycap said:

We played well first half, not as good in the second but created enough to win comfortably. Dummett coming on instead of Murphy to see it out bothers me. aswell as naming two keepers on the bench alfie harrison should of been giving the space on the bench instead. 

Dummet was part of a side that shut out Man City earlier this season in a win, and has a ton of experience.

He should be coming in and seeing out the result comfortably. He's an idiot.

Alex Murphy has hardly played at this level. No manager in football puts him in ahead of Dummet to see out that game.

Thank God we don’t have to play the shit fuckers again this season. That fucking song they sing with the high pitch noise is one of the most cringeworthy things I’ve witnessed from a group of football supporters. Fucking weirdos!

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I mean this is strictly true seeing as the ref missed it :lol: but it's clearly a foul, like.

I'm clearly on an Island that don't think it's a foul, so fine. But in 99.9% of Dummetts football playing life, that's a bit of clever play and no one even thinks twice about it. That is how he has been brought up to defend, and he hasn't had the playing minutes to re-program himself. 

12 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Honestly if Dummett doesn't do something mind-bogglingly stupid, it's an ugly but pretty comfortable and deserved 1-0 win. I wasn't expecting fireworks after Saturday; we are literally on our last legs. 

My entire argument in these situations is that  if you play like that at 1-0, especially with our record, then you're always susceptible to ending up saying "if it wasn't for..." at full time.

And here we are...again.

Edited by Kid Icarus

3 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Thank God we don’t have to play the shit fuckers again this season. 

I would. Most teams bar SU will tear this defence apart.

6 minutes ago, Nobody said:

How many minutes of VAR football has he played? That would have never been a penalty in a million years before VAR. 

It's never been a good idea to grab an opponent in a headlock when they're nowhere near the ball like.

I get what you mean that they were rarely given pre-VAR but when they were it was always, always against us. Dummett has enough experience to know better than that.

1 minute ago, Nobody said:

I'm clearly on an Island that don't think it's a foul, so fine. But in 99.9% of Dummetts football playing life, that's a bit of clever play and no one even thinks twice about it. That is how he has been brought up to defend, and he hasn't had the playing minutes to re-program himself. 

I honestly don’t remember a time when that wasn’t a foul.  He had him in a headlock man :) 

Just now, Nobody said:

It happened to Dan Burn at EVERY corner but I never saw VAR get involved.  Strange that.

On 11/03/2024 at 21:40, Jaqen said:

Jackson and Mudryk scoring is peak Newcastle, like. 

Put your house on Calvert-Lewin breaking his 23 games without scoring when we play those next month. 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

My entire argument in these situations is that  if you play like that at 1-0, especially with our record, then you're always susceptible to ending up saying "if it wasn't for..." at full time.

That's a fair comment but I disagree that our approach was fundamentally wrong. We're incredibly susceptible on the break, the injuries continue to pile up, and we're not long since a grueling match at the weekend. We reduced the intensity and limited them to half chances at best, and were harshly denied a second of our own. Enter our worst player. 

So frustrating, Dummett can get fucked and I am done with Longstaff. Shit performance after shit performance. 

Definite penalty but for me Tarkowski should have been sent off minutes before, although we didn’t get a proper second look. Surely it’s worth a booking for the cynical nature of the foul and then worthy of upgrading to a red for stamping down on his achilles? 

1 minute ago, Aiston said:

Why are so shit when it comes to added time in games....

It's like we forget how to play football.

Didn't we beat west ham in added time?

1 minute ago, Nobody said:

You’ve made your point quite well there but it falls flat when you consider it wasn’t Didier Drogba closing in but Ashley Young with the ball nowhere near. It was a brainless thing to do.