Newcastle United 1-1 Everton (02/04/24) | Reaction: pg 40

Yorkie

8 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

No mate, I'm just gaslighting myself for a laugh. Of course I think that's what happened 

I dont think this was bottom five performances of the season. Not even bottom eight. Dont really understand the rage. 

Results like last night happen when you don't take your chances. Longer the game went on, the more I felt Everton were going to get back into it, when we didn't get the 2nd goal. Overall, I thought we played quite well, when you consider  the players we are missing.

4 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

Results like last night happen when you don't take your chances. Longer the game went on, the more I felt Everton were going to get back into it, when we didn't get the 2nd goal. Overall, I thought we played quite well, when you consider  the players we are missing.

That’s my take too. Dummett cost us two points but let’s all remember another of the “canny lads” to have around, Ritchie, stole us one point vs Bournemouth.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Dummett was obviously a last resort and hopefully one that doesn’t get used again.

What Dummett did was probably down to lack of game time - these things happen. Shouldn't be forgotten that he has been a good servant to the club, over the last 10 years or so.

5 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

What Dummett did was probably down to lack of game time - these things happen. Shouldn't be forgotten that he has been a good servant to the club, over the last 10 years or so.

Agreed but he’s symptomatic of the Ashley era short-termism. It was galling to read about him being given another 1 year extension. It means 3.5 years after the takeover we’ll still technically have all these on the books unless something dramatic happens this summer:

Dummett

Hayden

Fraser

Lewis

Lascelles

Krafth

I'm with Heron and the silent majority sensibles.

Dummett cost us and we deserved more. 

Expecting anything more than were getting, given the injuries, is fucking laughable. 

You forget how bad it is watching a Sean Dyche team until you see them live.

Just constantly playing for set pieces and then hoofing it in the vague direction of Tarkowski or Branthwaite.

Guess it worked for them somehow

49 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

Isak needs to bury that chance second half and then a brainless act at the end by Dummett, otherwise we win. 

Last night highlighted again how much deadwood we have in the squad and how weak we are when so many key players are out.

19 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Agreed but he’s symptomatic of the Ashley era short-termism. It was galling to read about him being given another 1 year extension. It means 3.5 years after the takeover we’ll still technically have all these on the books unless something dramatic happens this summer:

Dummett

Hayden

Fraser

Lewis

Lascelles

Krafth

Isn’t his contract up at the end of this season? 

15 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Isn’t his contract up at the end of this season? 

Lee Ryder saying he’s going to get a 12 month extension.

The cartel clubs, ffp and fmv and the long term consequences of the Ashley era, coupled with a crippling and ongoing injury list really have us hamstrung. It’s tricky to see a short term way out of this predicament, and it increasingly looks like it may continue into next season. I was extremely frustrated last night, and now have reluctant acceptance that we sow what we reap, and having to rely on championship standard cloggers for so long is going to be debilitating over time. If the relationship between salary and finishing position is accurate we are broadly performing to standard this season, and when the injury list and lack of squad depth is considered we are probably overachieving. Doesn’t bring much joy or satisfaction though. Suck it up, it’s pretty much all we can do.

11 hours ago, Thumbheed said:

Think taking Anderson off was a bit of a mistake

Barnes was absolutely shattered. Felt sure he would be replaced, with JW going on the left side. Can’t recall much involvement by Barnes in last third of the match. 

3 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I don't think we were bad last night. Was frustrating not to win but we drew because of the freak injury-list (again) and a shite offside law. 

Not much on the bench was key. Four young uns, a couple of oldies, two keepers and Joe W. Feel sure we would have won if able to add quality & energy in last 30 mins. 

13 hours ago, cubaricho said:

Where's @LFEE? :lol: 

Just seen the studio footage. You all know what I think and my preferred ruling is but even a sensible compromise is just draw the line on feet only. Preferably the back foot for as much leeway as possible but would’ve stood with either it seems looking at the freeze frame.

All this shoulder, arm, head stuff is awful. The delay at the ground is killing the game.

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

Just seen the studio footage. You all know what I think and my preferred ruling is but even a sensible compromise is just draw the line on feet only. Preferably the back foot for as much leeway as possible but would’ve stood with either it seems looking at the freeze frame.

All this shoulder, arm, head stuff is awful. The delay at the ground is killing the game.

Tweaking the rule wouldn't change this, like. 

56 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Barnes was absolutely shattered. Felt sure he would be replaced, with JW going on the left side. Can’t recall much involvement by Barnes in last third of the match. 

Anderson was and all.  Not had many minutes this season and was putting himself about loads.  Was all over the pitch.  

Hopefully with Gordon coming back and assuming Willock is fit enough to start/play more than 20 minutes.  We can see a tiny bit of rotation and options when players are getting gassed.  

8 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Tweaking the rule wouldn't change this, like. 

I agree. Hopefully when the new rule comes in next season (if it is true they are introducing it) there will at least be a satisfactory and quick decision IMO and hopefully more goals being allowed that are currently being disallowed leaving a very unsatisfying feeling afterwards.

2 hours ago, Big Geordie said:

This. I know it was only one game, but had a blinder in that cup game against Man City.

Female co-commentator was pretty good on TNT last night, I thought.  Seemed to actually know a bit about our players and our style and generally how the game was shaping up.  The main commentator was useless, mind.  Dull as fuck and kept getting players mixed up.  Barnes/Longstaff and Murphy/Bruno, somehow :lol: 

Felt like a lot of games during winter - played well, should have been 2 or 3 up but then got gassed, unable to bring on anyone to impact the game whereas the opposition are able to freshen it up and bring themselves back into the game.

Everton are crap and very lucky that there's dross at the bottom end of the table. Would love nowt more than to see them drop, but sadly they'll have enough. Got some good fixtures too, praying they need to go to Emirates last game and need something to stay up.

Also their fans at the end ' you've never won fuck all'. Most of the fuckers singing it were still in their dad's sack the last time they done anything meaningful in 95 ffs :lol: Just as relevant as me singing about us winning the FA Cup in the 50s.